The Commanders’ front seven has taken a hit in a hurry, and Johnny Newton is the name that stands out as the biggest concern.
Newton, the interior defensive lineman, is dealing with a pectoral injury suffered in Friday’s preseason game against Miami and is headed to New York to see a specialist about the best way to handle it. Dan Quinn said there’s real worry it could be a long-term issue.
If the pec is torn and surgery is needed, the recovery would be lengthy and could even end Newton’s season. Quinn said he expects to have an update for the media on Thursday.
There’s more than one issue in that defensive group, too. Linebacker Jordan Magee injured his shoulder against the Dolphins and will be held out this week, though Quinn said it should not affect his availability for Week 1. To help cover that spot, Washington signed veteran linebacker Krys Barnes.
The Commanders are also without both of their top edge rushers for now. K’Lavon Chaisson suffered a knee injury during last week’s joint practice against Miami, while Odafe Oweh is working through a calf strain.
Neither injury is considered long term, and the team is being careful with both players. Quinn called them indispensable and vital to Washington’s defensive success.
That leaves room for the next wave of defenders to make a case for themselves.
“The first lesson, with KC and Oweh out, here’s an opportunity for some others,” Quinn said in his Wednesday press conference. “The second lesson is, ‘what are you going to do with it?’
I don’t love injuries at all, I like when people recognize there’s an opportunity. What are they going to do about it?”
There was at least one encouraging note on the injury front. Tim Settle, another interior defensive lineman, hit an important checkpoint in his recovery from a calf strain and could return to practice as soon as Wednesday. Washington has been using a ramp-up period to make sure players come back the right way, and that process was already used with center Nick Allegretti and tight end John Bates on Tuesday before being applied to the other players mentioned above.
In Other News...
Commanders Could Face A Costly Joey Porter Jr. Decision
The cornerback market is starting to feel a little more interesting, and Washington is right in the middle of it. According to NFL insider Jordan Schultz, multiple teams are keeping an eye on whether the Steelers might be open to moving Joey Porter Jr., a Pro Bowl-caliber defender who is entering the final year of his rookie deal. Pittsburghs cap situation has made the possibility at least worth monitoring, and any conversation would almost certainly begin with the kind of compensation that usually comes with a premium young corner.
For the Commanders, the appeal is obvious. Cornerback remains a need, and injuries have only sharpened the urgency of finding more reliable help on the back end. Porter would fit the profile of a player worth pursuing, but he would also come with a price tag that could force Washington to weigh immediate help against the cost of paying to get it. [Read more 🡒]
Jayden Daniels May Finally Have The Support Washington Needed
The Commanders spent the offseason reshaping the help around Jayden Daniels, and the changes start with the staff. Kliff Kingsbury is out as offensive coordinator, replaced by David Blough, who was promoted from assistant quarterbacks coach, and the move is being framed as a chance to better tailor the offense to Daniels strengths. Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated reported that Blough is expected to help Daniels maximize his abilities, particularly by leaning into the quarterbacks football IQ and his command at the line.
Washington has also tried to fortify the supporting cast, with free-agent receiver Stefon Diggs stepping into a leadership role alongside Terry McLaurin. Even with those additions, the bigger question still hangs over the offense: whether Daniels can stay healthy and whether the unit can hold up after losing starting left tackle Laremy Tunsil. Those are the kinds of variables that can decide whether all this support actually turns into progress. [Read more 🡒]
Commanders Have 3 Roster Races Fans Need To Watch Vs Lions
After a win over the Dolphins, the Commanders are turning their attention to their next preseason test against the Lions, and the roster picture is still taking shape. Dan Quinn said several starters are expected to play, though the exact plan has not been set, which should give this game a little more weight than a typical August tune-up for a team still sorting through the back end of the roster.
The most interesting eyes will be on the cornerback group without Trey Amos, the safety spot next to Nick Cross, and the race for the third wide receiver role behind Terry McLaurin and Stefon Diggs. Those jobs may not decide the season, but in a camp where every rep counts, this is the kind of game that can separate a candidate from the crowd and start to clarify who is really trending toward a spot. [Read more 🡒]
