Commanders Get An Early Look At A Lions Quarterback Decision

In a bold move for Saturday's game against the Commanders, the Lions have tapped Joshua Dobbs as their starting quarterback, leaving room for competition with rookie Luke Altmyer still in the air.

Joshua Dobbs is getting the nod for the Lions this weekend, and the backup quarterback battle in Detroit is still very much alive.

Dan Campbell said Thursday that Dobbs will start Saturday against the Commanders, with Jared Goff set to sit out. The head coach made it clear, though, that this isn’t the end of the competition between Dobbs and rookie Luke Altmyer.

“They’re both going to play equal amounts, is kind of the plan here, between [Dobbs] and Altmyer,” Campbell said.

Last week, Altmyer opened the game and handled 67 percent of the offensive snaps before Dobbs took over for the final 33 percent. Altmyer finished his preseason debut 13-of-22 for 130 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions. Dobbs, who played against Cincinnati last week, went 4-of-8 for 32 yards.

Campbell said the way the reps have been split in practice and games has partly come down to the different stages of their careers. Dobbs is the veteran; Altmyer is the rookie.

“Look, Dobbs is a bright guy. He’s played in this league,” Campbell said.

“But also, just making sure we’ve got him up to speed, being true to that. And also, Luke’s a young player.

But he’s promising. Getting him, trying to soak him with reps.

So, it’s just kind of a little bit of that. But we’ll get a look at Dobbs here and let him go.”

The Lions signed Dobbs on Aug. 9 after Teddy Bridgewater decided to retire.

Campbell also said he hasn’t decided yet whether all of the other starters will play Saturday. For now, the only thing he knows for sure is that Goff won’t be on the field.

“I’m not quite there yet. I just know I don’t see Goff playing,” Campbell said.

In Other News...

Commanders Could Face A Costly Joey Porter Jr. Decision

The cornerback market is starting to feel a little more interesting, and Washington is right in the middle of it. According to NFL insider Jordan Schultz, multiple teams are keeping an eye on whether the Steelers might be open to moving Joey Porter Jr., a Pro Bowl-caliber defender who is entering the final year of his rookie deal. Pittsburghs cap situation has made the possibility at least worth monitoring, and any conversation would almost certainly begin with the kind of compensation that usually comes with a premium young corner.

For the Commanders, the appeal is obvious. Cornerback remains a need, and injuries have only sharpened the urgency of finding more reliable help on the back end. Porter would fit the profile of a player worth pursuing, but he would also come with a price tag that could force Washington to weigh immediate help against the cost of paying to get it. [Read more 🡒]

Jayden Daniels May Finally Have The Support Washington Needed

The Commanders spent the offseason reshaping the help around Jayden Daniels, and the changes start with the staff. Kliff Kingsbury is out as offensive coordinator, replaced by David Blough, who was promoted from assistant quarterbacks coach, and the move is being framed as a chance to better tailor the offense to Daniels strengths. Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated reported that Blough is expected to help Daniels maximize his abilities, particularly by leaning into the quarterbacks football IQ and his command at the line.

Washington has also tried to fortify the supporting cast, with free-agent receiver Stefon Diggs stepping into a leadership role alongside Terry McLaurin. Even with those additions, the bigger question still hangs over the offense: whether Daniels can stay healthy and whether the unit can hold up after losing starting left tackle Laremy Tunsil. Those are the kinds of variables that can decide whether all this support actually turns into progress. [Read more 🡒]

Commanders Have 3 Roster Races Fans Need To Watch Vs Lions

After a win over the Dolphins, the Commanders are turning their attention to their next preseason test against the Lions, and the roster picture is still taking shape. Dan Quinn said several starters are expected to play, though the exact plan has not been set, which should give this game a little more weight than a typical August tune-up for a team still sorting through the back end of the roster.

The most interesting eyes will be on the cornerback group without Trey Amos, the safety spot next to Nick Cross, and the race for the third wide receiver role behind Terry McLaurin and Stefon Diggs. Those jobs may not decide the season, but in a camp where every rep counts, this is the kind of game that can separate a candidate from the crowd and start to clarify who is really trending toward a spot. [Read more 🡒]