Blue Jays May Have Landed A Future Bat Fans Will Obsess Over

The Toronto Blue Jays make waves by securing a powerhouse teenage third baseman from the Dominican Republic for a record-breaking sum.

The Toronto Blue Jays have already made a notable move for the future, lining up a verbal agreement with 15-year-old Dominican prospect Ángel Montás on a deal expected to be worth $5.5 million.

Montás, a third baseman from Santo Domingo, is part of the 2028 international class, even though the International Signing Period does not officially begin until January. The Blue Jays, still in the middle of their playoff push, have gone ahead and secured a commitment from one of the more intriguing young talents on the market.

At 6 feet 2 inches and 185 pounds, Montás has drawn plenty of attention for the kind of raw tools that make scouts sit up. A 2024 Perfect Game report praised him as an “Outstanding young athletic build with good present strength and more to come. Left-handed hitter, has easy rhythm into his swing and repeats his timers well, huge bat speed with strength to all fields, gets into his lower half well, heavy barrel at impact,” the report stated.

Mike Rodriguez also posted about Montás on X, describing the teenager’s profile in eye-catching terms. “Ángel Montás plays third base. 60+ arm, 60+ contact, 70+ power, and 50+ defense.”

Rodriguez said. “His signing bonus with the Toronto Blue Jays is expected to be $5.5 million in January 2028,” he added.

For Toronto, the timing of the move comes as the current season remains very much alive. The Blue Jays are 62-66 and sit just half a game out of the final Wild Card spot. They’ve won six of their last eight games, a stretch that has pulled them back into the race after injuries piled up for some of their stars earlier in the year.

Montás won’t be helping that push right away, but the upside is obvious if he develops the way Toronto expects. For now, the Blue Jays have given themselves a head start on a player with major power and a profile that could become a big part of the organization’s future.

In Other News...

Kevin Gausman's Early Exit Just Put New Focus On Blue Jays Trade

Kevin Gausmans return to Wrigley Field turned into an abrupt reminder of just how much can change around a trade deadline. The veteran right-hander, now with the Cubs after being dealt by the Blue Jays in 2026, was working through his start before leaving early, adding an unexpected layer to a matchup that already carried plenty of familiarity for Toronto fans tracking where one of their former rotation anchors ended up.

What made the exit stand out was the way it unfolded, with Gausman dealing with a problem in his non-throwing hand rather than his arm. He has felt the same cramp before, but never this soon in an outing, and that is the part Toronto will have noticed most as it keeps tabs on the ripple effects of a trade that changed the look of both clubs. [Read more 🡒]

Blue Jays Already Made A Telling Call On Recent Pitching Addition

The Blue Jays kept turning over the back end of their pitching staff Tuesday, designating Matt Waldron for assignment after a rough stretch that left little room for patience. Waldron, claimed off waivers from the Padres earlier this month, struggled across four appearances and now finds himself on the move again as Toronto continues to search for workable depth on the mound.

In his place, the club selected left-hander Brendan Cellucci, a bullpen arm who has not yet made his major league debut. It is the kind of roster shuffle that says as much about where the Blue Jays are right now as any public statement could, with the front office clearly willing to keep cycling through options until someone sticks. [Read more 🡒]

Blue Jays Missed Ketel Marte Chance Suddenly Looks A Lot Better

The Blue Jays reported interest in Ketel Marte is suddenly looking more complicated than it did even a day ago. Arizona has put the versatile infielder on the restricted list after he missed a game because of a personal issue, a development that adds a layer of uncertainty around one of the more intriguing names Toronto was said to be monitoring.

Marte is also scheduled to have an MRI on his knee in Phoenix, and the details around when or where the injury happened remain unclear. For a Toronto club that could still use impact help, the situation is a reminder that rumored trade targets can change quickly, and that a player who once seemed like a clean fit can become a much murkier bet before any deal ever materializes. [Read more 🡒]