The Toronto Blue Jays keep finding ways to win games that don’t look winnable on paper, and Saturday’s 4-1 result over the Yankees fit the pattern perfectly.
Toronto went into the matchup without George Springer, Ernie Clement or Vladimir Guerrero Jr. in the starting lineup, then asked a tired bullpen to help cover all nine innings against Cam Schlittler, who was described as arguably the best starter in the American League. None of that stopped the Jays from extending their surge to 12 wins in their last 17 games.
Rookie Charles McAdoo drove the whole thing with two run-scoring hits, including a double off the top of the wall that broke a 1-1 tie. Brett Bateman also had two hits, and the pair of speedy rookies have brought some life to a club that has spent much of the season trying to shake itself loose.
Manager John Schneider said the group has started to look like the version of the team it has been searching for.
“You can’t force a team to be like a team last year,” Schneider said. “I think with some new guys, with some things to prove, has kind of rubbed off on everyone else that has been here. This is the kind of brand of baseball we’ve been searching for.”
Toronto’s path back into the picture has been messy, but effective. The Jays pushed and prodded all season, making early moves for Patrick Corbin and Lenyn Sosa, changing the closer role and promoting prospects from Triple A.
For a long stretch, nothing seemed to stick. Now, suddenly, the pieces are starting to connect.
That includes McAdoo and Bateman, who have been rewarded with more playing time. It also includes Ricky Tiedemann, who was promoted years after his prospect star burned bright and logged five outs in Toronto’s bullpen game. And it includes Simeon Woods Richardson, who came in with a 5.95 expected ERA and delivered 2 1/3 scoreless innings against the Yankees.
The pitching has carried the surge, even if the underlying numbers suggest this kind of run won’t last forever. Toronto has posted a 2.88 ERA in August, a mark that would be tough for any staff to sustain.
The offence has been more about contact and speed than power, and the Jays aren’t exactly suddenly scoring in bunches. But at this stage of the season, the standings matter more than the projection models.
The win also moved Toronto into postseason position for the first time since June 24.
“We battled,” Schneider said. “They battled their asses off. That’s exactly what we’re asking them to do.”
The Jays’ current push has a familiar feel around the league. Schneider pointed to recent late-season charges by the Cleveland Guardians, who made up 10 1/2 games in September last year to win the AL Central, and the Detroit Tigers, who sold at the deadline in 2024 and still reached the playoffs.
Toronto entered the deadline six games under .500, which left little room for ordinary baseball. The club needed something improbable, and for the moment that’s exactly what it has found.
“We’re kind of embracing what we’re good at right now,” Schneider said. “Sometimes it doesn’t look the sexiest, but we’re OK with that.”
There was also another important note around the clubhouse before the game. Trey Yesavage, who underwent meniscus repair surgery Monday, returned to the room hours before first pitch. The 23-year-old is considered week-to-week, but he said he still wants to pitch again in 2026.
“I’m planning on pitching again wherever the team needs me,” Yesavage said. “Hopefully we’re in a playoff push.”
Yesavage said the procedure was quick and minimally invasive, and he’s already able to walk. He has also begun throwing from a knee or with his leg resting on a chair so he can keep his arm moving before he is able to throw while standing again. He said the rehab timeline for a meniscus surgery varies from person to person, so there is no exact schedule for his return.
If Toronto were to fall out of the race, there would be no reason to rush him back. But with the Jays surging into contention, Yesavage said the team’s position gives him extra motivation.
“It keeps me hungry knowing that we have an opportunity in October to play playoff baseball,” Yesavage said. “Just keeps me going.”
Saturday also brought more uncertainty for the lineup. Guerrero was placed on the seven-day concussion injured list after taking a knee to the head in Friday’s game, his first trip to the IL in eight big-league seasons.
Schneider said tests on Friday night and Saturday morning “checked enough boxes for an IL stint.” Guerrero had a headache during Friday’s game and “felt a little bit worse” Saturday morning.
“League-mandated concussion protocol,” Schneider said. “He didn’t push back.”
With Guerrero out, Kazuma Okamoto and McAdoo are the players on the current roster with the most first-base experience. McAdoo handled the job in the first game without Toronto’s franchise first baseman and summed up his approach simply:
“I have a job to do, and I’m going to help the team win as best I can.”
In Other News...
Blue Jays Face A Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Problem They Didn't Need
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. gave the Blue Jays another lineup headache when he was forced out of Fridays game against the Yankees after a collision at third base on a wild throw. The play left Toronto without one of its most important bats for the moment, and it added an unplanned layer of concern to a team that can ill afford losing key pieces as it tries to keep moving forward.
Guerrero is now in concussion protocol, which means the Blue Jays will have to get by without him for at least a stretch while he recovers. The immediate question is how Toronto adjusts in the lineup and in the field, because even a short absence from Guerrero changes the tone of an offense that leans heavily on his presence. [Read more 🡒]
Blue Jays Are Already Seeing Why Their Deadline Gamble Made Sense
Torontos deadline overhaul was always going to take a little time to judge, especially after the front office dealt away familiar names like Kevin Gausman and Daulton Varsho and brought back a batch of controllable talent. The move looked like a bet on the future as much as the present, with Jos Soriano, Brett Bateman, Jameson Taillon, Josh Smith, Josh Stephan and Spencer Arrighetti all arriving with different timelines and different kinds of upside.
Early returns are at least giving the Blue Jays a reason to feel better about the gamble. Soriano has already settled into the rotation with a pair of strong outings, while Bateman has brought a spark at the plate and on the bases that Toronto has sorely needed. The picture is still incomplete, though, with Taillon on the injured list because of right forearm tendinitis and Arrighetti yet to make his Blue Jays debut, so the real question is how much of this deadline haul can start paying off now, not later. [Read more 🡒]
Blue Jays Suddenly Need Ricky Tiedemann More Than Ever
Ricky Tiedemann finally got a first taste of the majors on Aug. 15, and it came in a spot that felt bigger than a typical debut. The young left-hander came out of the bullpen against the Yankees, worked 1.2 innings, allowed one run and struck out two in a Blue Jays win, a tidy enough first step for a pitcher the organization has been waiting to see in Toronto for a while.
The timing matters now more than ever, because the Blue Jays have pushed themselves back into the American League race by winning 12 of their last 17 games. With the standings tightening and every available arm carrying more weight, Tiedemann's long road back to this point gives the club another intriguing option at exactly the moment it needs one. [Read more 🡒]
