Tennessee QB Joey Aguilar Faces Judge in Eligibility Battle Decision Pending

As legal uncertainties linger over Joey Aguilars eligibility, college football insider Chris Low weighs in on a case that could carry major implications for NCAA rules and the Vols upcoming season.

Joey Aguilar’s Eligibility Battle: What We Know After Friday’s Hearing

Tennessee quarterback Joey Aguilar took a major step in his fight to stay on the field Friday, appearing in front of Judge Chris Heagerty for an eligibility hearing that could shape the next chapter of his college career. But for now, the Vols - and Aguilar - will have to wait.

After hearing arguments from both Aguilar’s legal team and the NCAA, Judge Heagerty opted not to issue a ruling from the bench. That pushes any decision into next week at the earliest, with Tuesday being the first realistic window for a verdict, thanks to the President’s Day holiday on Monday.

So what’s at stake here? Quite a bit - for Aguilar, Tennessee, and the broader conversation around NCAA eligibility rules.

The Crux of the Case

Aguilar’s legal battle centers around how the NCAA counts junior college seasons against a player’s eligibility clock. His camp is pushing back against the rule that his two years at Diablo Valley Community College should count toward his NCAA eligibility limit. If the court sides with Aguilar, he’d secure another year in Knoxville - and another chance to lead the Vols’ offense.

This isn’t uncharted legal territory. A similar case involving Diego Pavia led to a favorable ruling for the former Vanderbilt quarterback last year.

That decision prompted the NCAA to grant an additional year of eligibility to JUCO players who had exhausted their eligibility during the 2024-25 season. It’s that precedent that opened the door for Aguilar to land at Tennessee in the first place.

But the NCAA isn’t backing down, and neither is Aguilar. His team argues that denying him this extra year would cost him not only playing time but also significant NIL compensation - a major factor in today’s college football landscape.

What the Insiders Are Saying

In the aftermath of the hearing, college football insider Chris Low shared some insight during a recent episode of the RTI Low-Down. Low, who’s been plugged into the case from the start, relayed that opinions on how the hearing went are mixed - even among legal experts familiar with similar cases.

“One attorney in town who’s handled these kinds of cases told me he didn’t walk away from the hearing feeling great about Aguilar’s chances,” Low said. “But he also said he’s been in plenty of situations where things looked bleak and still came out with a win.

So the truth is, no one really knows. It could go either way.”

Low added that even his most trusted legal source wasn’t sure Aguilar’s side had their best day in court. But at the end of the day, there’s only one opinion that matters - Judge Heagerty’s.

What It Means for Tennessee

Aguilar’s impact on the field last season was undeniable. In his first year under center for the Vols, he led the SEC in passing yards with 3,565, tossing 24 touchdowns against 10 interceptions. Tennessee finished 8-5 overall and 4-4 in conference play - a solid step forward for the offense after a transitional year.

But more than just the numbers, Aguilar brought stability and explosiveness to a unit that needed both. His return would give head coach Josh Heupel a proven leader heading into next season, and with another offseason in the system, the ceiling could be even higher.

If the ruling doesn’t go Aguilar’s way, Tennessee will be forced to pivot - and quickly. The quarterback room has talent, but replacing Aguilar’s production and command won’t be easy.

What’s Next

All eyes now turn to Judge Heagerty’s decision. Whether it comes Tuesday or later in the week, the ruling will have ripple effects beyond Knoxville. It could influence how the NCAA handles JUCO eligibility cases going forward and potentially open the door for other players in similar situations.

For now, Aguilar remains in limbo - but his fight is far from over. And if he gets the green light, Tennessee might just have its QB1 back for one more run.