The NCAA’s latest move in the class of 2022 eligibility fight has created real uncertainty for two Syracuse newcomers.
On Friday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit in Denver granted the NCAA’s request to stay a recent class-action ruling that had opened the door to a fifth year for athletes from that class. That matters directly for Syracuse basketball transfer commit Amarri Monroe and Syracuse football wide receiver Justus Ross-Simmons, both of whom appear to be leaning on that temporary eligibility path.
Monroe, a 6-foot-7, 230-pound wing/forward from Quinnipiac, and Ross-Simmons, listed at 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, both already used four years in college. Under the NCAA’s new 5-for-5 eligibility model, approved in late June, that would normally leave them without another season.
The ruling stayed on Friday had been the preliminary injunction issued in late July by U.S. District Court of Colorado Judge Charlotte Sweeney.
That order had granted class of 2022 athletes a fifth season if they had already completed four years. With the stay in place, that federal safety net is now on hold.
As On3’s Pete Nakos put it after the decision, “An expedited appeal hearing has been set. Class of 2022 athletes who exhausted four years of eligibility this past spring are now ineligible unless they have their own temporary restraining order or injunction.”
That’s the key issue for Monroe and Ross-Simmons. Inside the Loud House is not aware of either player filing an individual lawsuit in state court or attaching his name to an existing state-level injunction, even though several of those have been granted in recent weeks.
Ryan Mulvaney, a shareholder in the Elmwood Park, N.J., office of Stevens & Lee, said in a text message Friday that if Monroe or Ross-Simmons “didn’t file a separate state court case or (don't) do so, (they) won’t be eligible unless the 10th ultimately denies the NCAA appeal. Not sure I would wait that long if I were (them).”
The fallout from the Tenth Circuit’s decision could ripple well beyond Syracuse. The ruling may trigger another wave of state-level eligibility lawsuits, and multiple legal experts have told Inside the Loud House in recent weeks that class of 2022 athletes seeking certainty should strongly consider filing on their own or joining an existing injunction in state court.
Former Syracuse basketball guard J.J. Starling has already done that. The 6-foot-4, 206-pound Baldwinsville native added his name to an injunction in California for class of 2022 athletes and has since entered the transfer portal.
The timing only raises the stakes for Syracuse football. The Orange are in preseason camp now, and their first game of the 2026 season is just over two weeks away. Ross-Simmons was cleared to join Syracuse earlier this week and has started practicing, an SU Athletics spokesperson confirmed recently.
Earlier this month, attorneys following these cases were already warning that the Colorado injunction might not provide season-long certainty. Darren Heitner, founder of Heitner Legal PLLC in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., told Inside the Loud House that “Athletes who want certainty are better off as named plaintiffs in individual state-court actions, several of which have already produced favorable injunctions.”
In Other News...
Syracuse Fans Have A New Dome Challenge Under Bryan Blair
Bryan Blair has given Syracuse fans a new target inside the JMA Wireless Dome, and it is not about attendance or even the scoreboard. The athletic director wants the crowd to chase the Guinness World Record for the loudest roar at an indoor sporting event, a mark that sits at 130.4 decibels and was set by Kansas in 2017.
Blair said the Dome would need to hit 130.5 decibels to take the record, though he did not put a date on when Syracuse might try. Any official attempt would also need Guinness representatives on hand to verify it, which leaves the concept hanging as more of a challenge than a scheduled event for now. [Read more 🡒]
Syracuse Just Got A New Twist In Its Fifth-Year Eligibility Fight
The long-running fight over fifth-year eligibility took another turn this week, with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit ruling that Syracuse football player Justus Ross-Simmons and projected mens basketball player Amarri Monroe are ineligible to play for the 2026-27 season. The decision stayed a previous temporary injunction that had allowed athletes from the Class of 2022 to claim a fifth season of college eligibility, effectively putting the NCAA back in position to enforce its rules while the larger class-action case continues.
For Syracuse, the ruling adds another layer of uncertainty to roster planning in both football and basketball, especially for players and staffs trying to map out the next several years instead of just the next season. The bigger issue is still unresolved, though, and until the lawsuit reaches a final decision, the path for athletes hoping to use that extra year remains in limbo. [Read more 🡒]
Syracuse Depth Players Are Suddenly Battling For Real Special Teams Roles
Special teams has become one of the quieter places Syracuse is trying to sort out before the season, and it is not just about the obvious kicking jobs. With new special teams coach Alex Bayer running the room, the Orange are also taking a hard look at depth players who can help on coverage units and in return games, the kind of roles that can turn into meaningful snaps once the games start for real.
Among the names in the mix are Demetres Samuel Jr., Davian Kerr, Ju'Juan Johnson, Amare' Gough and Shavane Anderson, all of whom could help shape those hidden-yardage battles. Tripp Woody is projected to handle kicking duties, freshman Jimmy Gregg is set to punt and Fran Brown Jr. appears in line for long-snapping work, but the real intrigue is how much room there is for the rest of the roster to carve out jobs around them. [Read more 🡒]
