Quinn Matthews got his second look in a Cardinals uniform and made it count.
Just a couple of weeks after his first big league start, the St. Louis left-hander was back on the mound for the opening game of the club’s doubleheader against the Cincinnati Reds. Matthews, 25, came in as the Cardinals’ No. 8 prospect and one of the organization’s pitchers most ready to push into the majors, and this latest call-up gave him another chance to show why.
Matthews had already debuted for St. Louis on Aug. 1 against the Toronto Blue Jays, when he gave up two runs and struck out three over five innings.
But because there wasn’t a permanent spot waiting for him in the rotation, he was sent right back to Triple-A Memphis. Returning as the 27th man for the twin bill gave him another shot, and he didn’t hide how much that meant to him.
"Grateful for a second opportunity," Matthews said on Monday, per MLB.com's Mike Petraglia. "You never know if you're going to get one of those or not after the first one. So just grateful to get the opportunity to pitch for the Cardinals once again.”
Even after that solid debut, and even with Chaim Bloom saying he expects the left-hander to help the club down the stretch, Matthews still doesn’t have any guarantees about where the innings will come from. What he did against Cincinnati, though, was make his case louder.
In four innings, Matthews gave up just one run on two hits and struck out seven. That was more than double his strikeout total from his first outing. The only Reds hitter who got much going against him was Dane Myers, who collected both of Cincinnati’s hits, including a solo homer in the fourth.
Matthews took the blame for the one mistake that left the yard.
“I beat him on the fastball, and I kind of beat him on the curveball in a sense. And for some reason, I shook to the slider, and again, that's on me, not anybody else,” Mathews said, per Petraglia.
“That's on me. I shook to that pitch, and that's a learning experience.
“Being a young pitcher that thinks I know how to pitch, and then you know, a guy proves to me that I don't, and that's all right. But a learning experience, and like I said, there's probably other avenues I should have gone after specifically with him … but you throw a bad pitch in a bad location, and good hitters hit mistakes, and that's exactly what he did.”
The Cardinals have already said Matthews is headed back to Triple-A after the outing, but after a performance like this, it wouldn’t be a surprise if he’s back in the majors again before long. St. Louis still got what it needed in the moment, too: a strong showing in a 2-1 win.
In Other News...
Joshua Baez Could Give The Cardinals A Dangerous New Lineup Option
Joshua Baezs arrival with the Cardinals gave the lineup a different look right away, including a shot at the leadoff spot in a game against the Reds. With JJ Wetherholt usually holding down that role, the Cardinals are still expected to keep things organized at the top of the order, but Baez has already shown enough power and speed in the minors to make him more than just another fresh callup. The appeal is obvious: if he gets on base, he can change the game in a hurry, and if he drives the ball, he adds a threat the Cardinals do not always have from the first spot in the lineup.
Oliver Marmol has not been shy about using Baez there when Wetherholt is unavailable, and that flexibility could matter as the season moves along. The Cardinals are still sorting out how aggressive they want to be with the rookie, but Baezs upside is the kind that can alter the shape of a batting order if he keeps forcing the issue. For now, Wetherholt remains the primary option, yet Baez has already put himself in the conversation as a potentially dangerous alternative when the Cardinals want a different look. [Read more 🡒]
Cardinals Suddenly Have An Obvious Call-Up Question Behind The Plate
The Cardinals have already gotten a jolt from their latest wave of promotions, with Joshua Bez blasting three home runs in his major league debut and Quinn Mathews handling his second start well after getting the call. That kind of immediate impact tends to sharpen the discussion around what comes next, especially for a club still looking for ways to squeeze more offense out of the roster without losing sight of the long view.
Behind the plate, the conversation is beginning to turn toward another young name in the system. Even with Ivn Herrera coming off an All-Star season, the Cardinals have clear reasons to keep evaluating their catching depth, and a prospect in Triple-A is making a strong statistical case for his own promotion. For a team trying to balance present production with the need to strengthen an area that still feels unsettled, the next move at catcher could become one of the more interesting decisions on the board. [Read more 🡒]
Cardinals Face Tough Roster Calls With Their Wild Card Hopes Alive
With 36 games left and just three games separating them from a National League Wild Card spot, the Cardinals are still close enough to keep the conversation centered on what comes next. That has already meant some movement on the roster, with outfielder Joshua Bez recently promoted, while the club continues to evaluate potential late-season help as it tries to keep itself in the race.
The next wave of decisions could be even trickier, because the Cardinals are weighing not just current production but which young players might be ready to matter in September. Prospect Leo Bernal is among the names drawing attention, and the pitching mix is also under review with Ryan Stanek and Matthew Liberatore in the picture as the team looks for any edge it can find down the stretch. [Read more 🡒]
