Former Seahawks RB Suddenly At Center Of A Strange Eligibility Fight

After a landmark court decision, former NFL players like TJ Harden may find their way back to college football, challenging NCAA eligibility rules.

TJ Harden may be on the move again, and this time the destination could be college football.

Just days after recovering a fumble and logging a pair of red zone carries for the Seattle Seahawks in their preseason opener against the Dallas Cowboys, Harden was waived by Seattle on Monday. Now, according to On3’s Pete Nakos, he plans to enter the NCAA transfer portal even though his college career appeared finished after this past season at SMU.

The twist is that a Louisiana court ruling has cracked open a path for some former college players to return, including athletes who have already spent four full, redshirt-free seasons in school. That ruling is also relevant to Seahawks running back Anthony Hankerson, who recently signed with Seattle and was part of the lawsuit against the NCAA.

ESPN’s Dan Murphy and Pete Thamel laid out the broader picture of the case. The lawsuit includes 16 football players, among them several who signed with NFL teams and took part in training camps earlier this month. Three of those players - Wright, Williams and former Oregon State running back Anthony Hankerson - are currently listed on NFL rosters for the Browns, Cardinals and Seahawks, respectively.

The complaint says the NCAA is violating its “covenant of good faith” by denying these players the same chance to play five college seasons that previous players had and future players will have.

That fight stems from the NCAA’s June eligibility change, which allows athletes to compete in five seasons over a five-year span that starts either when they enroll in college or in the academic year after their 19th birthday, whichever comes first. The new setup also removes most of the waivers that used to extend college careers because of injuries or other special circumstances.

Before that change, players could appear in four seasons during a five-year window, with no specific age limit. But when the Division I Board of Directors approved the new rule, it did not include outgoing seniors who had already played four seasons in their first four years of college, even though they would have qualified for a fifth season under the updated system. NCAA officials said they wanted to avoid a sudden wave of returning fifth-year players taking roster spots from incoming freshmen who had already signed with their teams.

That decision led to the current run of lawsuits in state and federal court. In several cases, judges have issued temporary restraining orders allowing athletes to compete this upcoming season while their cases continue.

So Harden could be headed back into college football, and Hankerson may be right there with him if he does not land an NFL roster spot by the end of the month.

In Other News...

Seahawks Suddenly Have A WR5 Problem They Didn't Expect

Jake Bobo was in line to be Seattles fifth receiver this season, a useful depth piece coming off a two-year contract extension signed earlier this year. Instead, a knee injury during a joint practice with the Tennessee Titans has changed the picture quickly, with head coach Mike Macdonald calling it serious and potentially long-term.

The Seahawks now have to sort through other wideouts to fill that WR5 role while Bobo begins his recovery. For a roster that had already penciled him into a specific spot, it is an unexpected hit to receiver depth and a reminder that the back end of the depth chart can become a real issue in a hurry. [Read more 🡒]

Seahawks Entering A New Offensive Era With One Big Reason For Hope

Grey Zabel is already sounding like one of the early believers in Seattles new offensive direction, and that matters for a team trying to reset after a major change on the sideline. Brian Fleury is taking over in his first season as offensive coordinator after stops with the 49ers, Bills and Browns, and the Seahawks are asking a new voice to keep the unit moving after Klint Kubiaks run ended with a Super Bowl title and a move to Las Vegas.

For Zabel, the confidence seems to start with the way Fleury is being received inside the building, where a fresh system can either settle quickly or take longer to click. Seattle has every reason to want a smooth transition, because the bar was already raised by the success that came before, and the first signs of buy-in from a veteran voice like Zabel suggest the Seahawks may not be starting from scratch after all. [Read more 🡒]

Seahawks Suddenly Face A Jake Bobo Problem They Didnt Expect

Jake Bobos re-signed status made him one of the quieter but more useful parts of the Seahawks receiver room, the kind of player coaches appreciate even when he is not grabbing headlines. He brought value beyond the box score, with a reputation for steady special teams work and a locker room presence that fit well in Seattle as training camp moved along.

Now the Seahawks are dealing with a much different reality after head coach Mike Macdonald confirmed Bobo suffered a serious knee injury that could linger well beyond this season. It creates an unexpected opening in camp and the preseason, with other receivers suddenly getting a clearer path to make their case while Seattle waits to see how long Bobos absence lasts. [Read more 🡒]