The Padres are still right in the middle of the National League wild-card chase, but the calendar is starting to work against them.
San Diego has been rolling for most of the last month, winning 17 of its last 22 games even after dropping two of three to the New York Mets. With a little more than a month left in the regular season, there’s no room for a slow drift, and that’s why the coming September call-ups could force some tough roster choices.
Two players who may feel that squeeze are Austin Hays and Sung-Mun Song. Kevin Acee of the San Diego Tribune wrote that both are in danger of losing their spots in the near future.
"There is a possibility Hays (4-for-16) and/or Song (.202/.305/.263) are off the major league roster in the coming weeks," Acee wrote.
The names waiting in the wings help explain why. Acee pointed to veteran outfielder Samad Taylor, who has already started his rehab assignment, along with Miguel Andujar as possible replacements.
"With Samad Taylor having started his rehab assignment and Miguel Andujar beginning to swing a bat and the potential for the left-handed-hitting Ethan Salas to join the team as a September call-up," he wrote.
Salas, who is 20, is another possible addition once September arrives.
Taylor began his rehab assignment on Tuesday after going on the 10-day injured list in early July with a right oblique strain. Because he missed so much time, he’ll need several rehab games before he’s ready to return, which makes him a natural candidate to come back when the roster expands.
Andujar has been out for the past month with a fractured right wrist and is also on the 10-day IL. On Monday, the Friars said he had been cleared to start a swinging progression, and he’ll build up from there before heading out on a rehab assignment.
There’s still no timetable for Andujar’s return, and at this point the 31-year-old does not look likely to be back before the end of August.
Still, Taylor and Andujar both could provide important bats in the weeks ahead. And if the Padres decide to bring up Salas as well, the roster shuffle could come quickly.
In Other News...
Fernando Tatis Jr. Finally Fixed What Was Killing His Power
Fernando Tatis Jr. spent the opening stretch of the 2026 season looking nothing like a player built to drive the Padres lineup. The home run drought lasted 55 games and stretched across 207 at-bats before he finally cleared the fence for the first time on May 30, a frustrating run for a hitter whose power has long been one of the clubs biggest weapons.
Padres hitting coach Steven Souza Jr. said the issue was as basic as it was costly: Tatis was trying to pull everything, and the contact quality suffered as a result. Once he made the adjustment and stayed inside the ball more often, the loud contact came back in a hurry, and so did the kind of home runs San Diego has been waiting to see. [Read more 🡒]
Padres Are No Longer Baseballs Small-Market Underdog
The Padres rise has been more than a run of good seasons and bold roster moves. Since being purchased in 2012 for $800 million, the franchise has ballooned in value, with the recent $3.9 billion sale underscoring just how far San Diego has come from its old small-market image. A club once known for operating on the margins now looks and behaves like a major player, and Manny Machados 10-year, $300 million deal became one of the clearest symbols of that shift.
San Diegos standing off the field has changed right along with its ambitions on it. The Padres now rank among baseballs top five teams in attendance, and the growth in sponsorship and corporate partnerships has helped fuel a high-payroll model that would have seemed unlikely a decade ago. For a franchise that long wore the underdog label, the bigger question now is not whether it belongs in the conversation, but how far this new version of the Padres can go with the resources to match it. [Read more 🡒]
Padres Fans Just Got Another Bragging Right Over Rival Broadcasts
For Padres fans, the comfort of a familiar summer soundtrack just picked up another bit of national validation. Don Orsillo and Mark Grant were ranked the top local MLB broadcasters in Awful Announcings 2026 poll, with San Diegos crew earning the highest score among respondents and extending a run of recognition that has now reached a second straight year. It is the kind of accolade that does not show up in the standings, but it still says plenty about how the team is presented every night.
The Padres broadcast operation goes well beyond the lead TV pairing, with Jesse Agler, Tony Gwynn Jr., Bob Scanlan and Mariluz Cook also part of the mix that shapes the experience for viewers and listeners. For a fan base that already takes pride in its announcers, the latest poll offers another point to lean on in the long-running cross-town and cross-league comparisons that never quite go away. [Read more 🡒]
