Padres Are No Longer Baseballs Small-Market Underdog

Discover how the San Diego Padres' surprising $3.9 billion valuation solidified their transformation into a formidable big-market powerhouse in Major League Baseball.

The San Diego Padres have moved far beyond the old small-market label that once hung over the franchise. For years, they were treated like a club where stars eventually left to get paid elsewhere. That version of the Padres doesn’t fit anymore, and the completed sale of the team last week made that even clearer.

The deal pushed the franchise into a new financial tier. Dennis Lin of The Athletic described the Padres as a “$3.9 billion behemoth,” though there was skepticism about that number when the sale was first announced. Even so, the final price only reinforced how far the organization has come since Peter Seidler bought the club for $800 million in 2012.

Seidler, who died at 63 after an infection related to his compromised immune system, had already explained the way the organization viewed itself in 2023.

“Part of our thinking as an organization,” Seidler said about the franchise he bought for $800 million back in 2012, “is we just believe in the future of major league baseball.”

Current Padres CEO Erik Greupner said the plan was never built around turning that investment into something close to five times its original value.

“It never was,” said Greupner. “And it still isn’t.”

That line is hard to square with the final sale price, but within MLB, the message is unmistakable: the Padres have become a major financial player. Lin reported that one source believed $3 billion would have been enough to count as a huge win, and that was before multiple groups got involved early in the process.

The shift in perception started to take shape with Manny Machado. When A.J. Preller signed the third baseman to a ten-year, $300 million contract, it sent a loud message about what kind of franchise the Padres wanted to be.

“I think (fans were) used to players going away from San Diego … especially when it was time to get paid,” Preller said recently. “Manny was the guy that started to change that perception for everybody.”

From there, the payroll climbed and the team’s ability to stay in contention every year followed. That approach carried into this season’s deadline, and Greupner said the business side was built to support the on-field push.

“The strategy that Peter and A.J. and I discussed,” said Greupner, “was that we would (start by) increasing major-league payroll and showing the fans that there was a commitment to put a consistently winning and playoff-caliber team that could compete for a championship on the field.

“Then the challenge and the task on the business operation side was, ‘OK, now that we’ve done that, how much can we increase revenue in service of supporting that level of payroll?’”

Not every part of that growth story has gone perfectly, but the numbers still tell a clear tale. According to Lin, the Padres remain a top-five team in MLB attendance and are expected to draw three million fans, a group that also includes only the Dodgers, Philadelphia Phillies and New York Yankees. Sponsorships are up, and corporate partnerships are up too.

In Other News...

Fernando Tatis Jr. Finally Fixed What Was Killing His Power

Fernando Tatis Jr. spent the opening stretch of the 2026 season looking nothing like a player built to drive the Padres lineup. The home run drought lasted 55 games and stretched across 207 at-bats before he finally cleared the fence for the first time on May 30, a frustrating run for a hitter whose power has long been one of the clubs biggest weapons.

Padres hitting coach Steven Souza Jr. said the issue was as basic as it was costly: Tatis was trying to pull everything, and the contact quality suffered as a result. Once he made the adjustment and stayed inside the ball more often, the loud contact came back in a hurry, and so did the kind of home runs San Diego has been waiting to see. [Read more 🡒]

Padres Fans Just Got Another Bragging Right Over Rival Broadcasts

For Padres fans, the comfort of a familiar summer soundtrack just picked up another bit of national validation. Don Orsillo and Mark Grant were ranked the top local MLB broadcasters in Awful Announcings 2026 poll, with San Diegos crew earning the highest score among respondents and extending a run of recognition that has now reached a second straight year. It is the kind of accolade that does not show up in the standings, but it still says plenty about how the team is presented every night.

The Padres broadcast operation goes well beyond the lead TV pairing, with Jesse Agler, Tony Gwynn Jr., Bob Scanlan and Mariluz Cook also part of the mix that shapes the experience for viewers and listeners. For a fan base that already takes pride in its announcers, the latest poll offers another point to lean on in the long-running cross-town and cross-league comparisons that never quite go away. [Read more 🡒]

Padres Face Two Tough Roster Calls As Wild Card Pressure Builds

The Padres are still in the thick of the National League wild-card race, but the calendar is about to force some roster decisions that could shape the stretch run. With September call-ups approaching, Kevin Acee reported that Austin Hays and Sung-Mun Song are among the players who could come off the major league roster as San Diego looks for ways to fine-tune the group around its current push.

Several options are already in the mix to take those spots, and each comes with a different kind of appeal. Samad Taylor has begun a rehab assignment after an injury, Miguel Andujar is working his way back from a wrist injury, and Ethan Salas remains a possible September addition, leaving the Padres with more possibility than certainty as they try to balance immediate need with the pressure of the standings. [Read more 🡒]