The Orlando Magic have kept things relatively quiet this offseason, but the moves they’ve made already point to real consequences for the season ahead and beyond.
Some players are set to gain from that shuffle. Others are watching their roles get squeezed. Here are the two biggest winners and two biggest losers from Orlando’s offseason so far.
The biggest winner is Sweeney, who moved from lead assistant to head coach after Orlando brought him in in the middle of the Western Conference Finals. He was guiding the San Antonio Spurs to a win over the Oklahoma City Thunder, and they ultimately came up short in five games in the NBA Finals against the New York Knicks.
That promotion puts him in a spot with plenty of value for the Magic. As Orlando moves on from the Jamahl Mosley era, Sweeney offers a lot of the same traits Mosley brought, but the hope is that his voice lands differently with the roster as the team tries to win its first playoff series since 2010.
Another clear winner is Vucevic, who gets to return to the team he called home for nine seasons from 2012-21. He became a two-time All-Star with the Magic, and now he has a chance to potentially finish his career with the franchise where he made his name.
He probably won’t open as a starter, but he should matter plenty as a bench piece behind Wendell Carter Jr. That kind of veteran presence in the second unit could be exactly what Orlando needs to push forward.
On the other side, Black looks like a loser in the short term. He’s a candidate for a contract extension this offseason, but no deal is in place yet. If nothing changes, he’ll become a restricted free agent after the 2026-27 campaign.
The delay may come down to Orlando’s payroll picture. The team already has Paolo Banchero, Franz Wagner, Desmond Bane and Jalen Suggs on long-term deals, and adding Black to that group would put a serious strain on the salary cap.
The Magic may not want to commit to a number he couldn’t reach on the open market. There’s still a chance a deal gets done before the regular season starts, but the possibility remains that Black reaches free agency next summer.
Richardson is the other loser here, at least for now. The 2025 first-round pick had a path to the backup point guard job after Jevon Carter became a free agent, but Orlando has now agreed to a new deal with Carter to keep him around for another year.
That likely keeps Richardson out of the 10-man rotation to start the season. Still, if he earns the trust of Sweeney and the new staff, he could work his way into the mix as the year goes on.
In Other News...
Desmond Bane Sees One Early Sign From Orlandos New Coach
Desmond Bane already has a read on Sean Sweeney, and it starts with something that happened well before the season tipped off. The Magic guard said he was encouraged by Sweeneys approach to building relationships with players, pointing to the new head coachs offseason trip to Texas, where several teammates were training together.
For Orlando, that kind of early buy-in matters as much as any schematic tweak. Sweeney brings a track record that includes helping coach the San Antonio Spurs to the NBA Finals, and the hope inside the organization is that he can help the core group take another step in the postseason. The first chance to see how that partnership looks in a real game comes October 21, when the Magic open the 2026-27 season against the Atlanta Hawks. [Read more 🡒]
Desmond Bane Just Raised Expectations For This Magic Core
Desmond Bane has already helped raise the temperature around Orlando before playing a regular-season game for the Magic. The veteran guard said the group has the talent to contend in the Eastern Conference in 2026-27, pointing to the rosters buy-in to new head coach Sean Sweeneys system as a sign that this is more than just a hopeful offseason talking point. Orlandos recent baseline gives that belief some shape, too, after a 45-37 finish and a first-round playoff trip last season.
Horace Grant also sees a team that belongs in the East conversation, though he framed the next step in the familiar terms that usually decide whether a promising roster actually turns into a threat. Health and chemistry remain the obvious pressure points, and those are the kinds of details that tend to matter once the games start coming fast. The Magic open the new season against the Hawks on Oct. 21, which should offer the first real look at whether this upgraded confidence is matching what happens on the floor. [Read more 🡒]
Magic Core Has No More Excuses In The East
The Magic are heading into the new season with a familiar core and a different voice on the sideline, which makes this a revealing stretch for a team that believes it can grow without tearing anything apart. Sean Sweeney takes over after Jamahl Mosleys dismissal, and the early tone around the roster has been one of accountability and urgency, with Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero and Desmond Bane all sounding eager to reset after a season defined by injuries and uneven play.
From Orlandos perspective, the opportunity is obvious, but so is the pressure. The front office is betting that continuity, health and a new coach can push this group forward, yet the outside view remains cautious, with sportsbooks still slotting the Magic into the Play-In picture. For a roster built around players who are supposed to be entering their prime together, the next step is supposed to be less about promise and more about proving it. [Read more 🡒]
