Marcus Freemans Quincy Porter Update Keeps Pressure On Notre Dame Receivers

Notre Dame coach Marcus Freeman reveals progress and timeline for wide receiver Quincy Porter's return as recovery from surgery continues.

Notre Dame is still waiting to get Quincy Porter back on the field, but Marcus Freeman said the Ohio State transfer is moving closer after a minor procedure on Friday, Aug. 21 aimed at speeding up his recovery.

Porter, who has been working his way back from offseason surgery on his left patellar tendon, was seen on the sidelines Thursday in an in-house video clip posted on social media. He had his helmet in hand and was not wearing the compression sleeve that had been on his left leg.

“He’s still a couple weeks out,” Freeman said. “He’s getting better.

… He’s still got a little bit of time to be in a position where we feel like he can help this team, but it will happen. It’s going to happen here soon.

I just don’t know when it’s going to be.”

Freeman said the latest procedure was intended “just to try to get him a little bit quicker to hopefully being able to help us,” and the timeline still points to a gradual return rather than something immediate.

The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Porter is now 7½ months removed from the early January surgery to repair his left patellar tendon. He looked to be moving well enough during drills at the open practice that opened fall camp on Aug. 6, but in the two most recent sessions partially open to the media on Aug. 12 and Aug. 16, he worked off to the side.

Porter, a second-year product of Bergen Catholic High School in New Jersey, played sparingly last season for Ohio State, finishing with four catches and 81 snaps as a freshman. He also logged 24 special teams plays.

With Porter still unavailable, Micah Gilbert has taken hold of the starting job at boundary receiver. The third-year wideout has drawn strong praise from Freeman as Notre Dame prepares to open the season Sept. 6 against unranked Wisconsin in Green Bay.

“Micah’s done a heck of a job,” Freeman said. “He’s stepped up tremendously.

Micah is who we thought Micah was going to be, who we expected Micah to be. He’s been having a really good camp (and) has made some big catches.”

In Other News...

Michael Irvin's Notre Dame CFP Complaint Misses One Huge Reality

Michael Irvins gripe about Notre Dames College Football Playoff path taps into a familiar debate, but it leaves out the part of the bracket structure that matters most to Miami. Under the current rules, Notre Dame can lock up a playoff berth by finishing in the top 12 of the final rankings, a setup that has long fueled complaints from fans of teams chasing spots through conference play. It is the sort of wrinkle that can make a November matchup feel bigger than a single game.

Miami, though, is not boxed out by the Irish being in the mix. The ACC champion gets an automatic playoff bid, alongside the champs from the Big Ten, Big 12 and SEC, plus the highest-ranked Group of 6 champion, so the Hurricanes still control a different route into the field. Even if they stumble against Notre Dame, they can keep their postseason case alive by winning the league, which is why the real stakes in this discussion go beyond one complaint about one opponent. [Read more 🡒]

Notre Dame Just Saw An Old Defensive End Twist Help LSU Fast

A Louisiana judges temporary restraining order has sent another ripple through college football, and LSU was quick to take advantage. The ruling allowed 16 players to return to college football and re-enter the transfer portal, giving the Tigers a pathway to add Notre Dame transfer Junior Tuihalamaka as they continue reshaping a defensive line that already has seen major turnover this offseason.

From Notre Dames perspective, the move is another reminder of how fluid the roster market has become, especially when a player with experience and versatility suddenly becomes available again. LSU has already fortified that front with help from Ole Miss and Tennessee, along with incoming freshmen, and Tuihalamaka gives the Tigers another piece to sort into the mix while the wider legal backdrop keeps creating unexpected openings. [Read more 🡒]

Notre Dame Could Be Facing A Defensive Line Decision It Wanted To Avoid

Notre Dames late-summer roster picture has picked up another layer of uncertainty on the defensive line, with Junior Tuihalamakas camp indicating the former Irish lineman intends to enter the transfer portal even though he has not officially done so. His path back to campus has already taken a detour, after a temporary restraining order allowed him and other players to return for a final college season and he received special approval to explore that option.

The Irish have discussed the possibility of bringing Tuihalamaka back, but the situation does not appear settled, and that hesitation could end up shaping his next move. For a program that would prefer clarity in the trenches before camp fully takes hold, the unresolved status of a veteran lineman is the sort of roster decision Notre Dame has been trying to avoid. [Read more 🡒]