UNCs Early Schedule Will Test How Much These Tar Heels Are Ready For

UNC's newly revealed non-conference schedule offers a challenging lineup that will test the Tar Heels' readiness under new head coach Michael Malone.

North Carolina’s full non-conference schedule is finally out, and it gives Michael Malone exactly the kind of early test a new-look roster needs.

The Tar Heels will see plenty of high-end competition before ACC play even begins, with marquee matchups against West Virginia on Nov. 27, Arkansas on Dec.

1, Kentucky on Dec. 19 and Illinois on Jan. 30.

For a program with a first-year head coach and several newcomers in the mix, it’s a demanding slate - and that’s the point.

Malone has made it clear he wants to go after the best teams, and that approach fits this group. North Carolina has spent much of the offseason getting pegged with a ceiling, but this schedule gives the Tar Heels a chance to answer plenty of questions on the floor instead of in theory.

The non-conference stretch is also where the staff will do its most important work. That’s the time to sort through rotations, identify which lineups actually click and get a read on each player’s strengths and weaknesses. By the time conference play arrives, Malone and his staff need to know exactly what they have.

Among the games that jump off the page, Arkansas and Illinois stand out the most. The Razorbacks brought in one of the country’s top recruiting classes, and North Carolina assistant Chuck Martin previously worked under John Calipari, which adds another layer to that one at the Dean E.

Smith Center. Illinois, meanwhile, is coming off a Final Four run and is being discussed as a team with a shot to land one of the four No. 1 seeds in the NCAA Tournament.

There’s still a long way to go before the 2026-27 season tips off, but this schedule release gives a clear picture of what North Carolina wants to be tested by early and often.

In Other News...

Armando Bacots Next Move Gives Tar Heels Fans A New Reason To Care

Armando Bacots path since leaving Chapel Hill has taken him well beyond the familiar route most Tar Heels fans imagined for him, but it has stayed rooted in the same steady work that defined his college career. The former North Carolina standout, who still sits atop the programs all-time lists in rebounds, offensive boards and double-doubles, is now starting his professional career with Maccabi Tel Aviv in the Israeli Premier League.

Bacots next chapter is not just about basketball, either. After going undrafted in 2024, he spent time in the NBA Summer League, the G League and with European clubs while keeping an eye on another crack at the NBA, and he has also used his name, image and likeness earnings to launch a hotel business near Raleigh. For Tar Heels fans, it is a reminder that one of the most productive players in school history is still building something new, even if the final destination remains a little farther down the road. [Read more 🡒]

Armando Bacots UNC Take Says Everything About Carolinas NIL Power

Armando Bacots latest reflection on his college career says as much about North Carolina as it does about the modern NIL era. In a recent interview, the former Tar Heels big man said he earned more than $2 million through name, image and likeness deals while in school, a figure that underscores just how much the sport has changed since he first arrived in Chapel Hill. Bacot credited UNCs brand for opening those doors and made clear he understood the scale of the opportunity he had been given.

For North Carolina, it is another reminder of the kind of reach the program still carries when it comes to attracting and rewarding talent. Bacots comments also captured the larger shift in college basketball, where player compensation now sits at the center of the conversation in a way few could have imagined not long ago. His gratitude for the financial benefits came through plainly, even as his experience pointed to a landscape that looks very different for the next wave of Tar Heels. [Read more 🡒]

Bill Belichick Faces His First Real UNC Test Against TCU

Bill Belichick opens his second season at North Carolina with a first look at how much the Tar Heels have changed since last fall, when a 4-8 finish was weighed down by offensive inconsistency and plenty of unfinished business. The opener against TCU in Dublin, Ireland, gives UNC an early chance to show whether the offseason overhaul has made the program more stable and more dangerous on that side of the ball.

North Carolina did not stand pat after that rocky debut year, reshaping the offense and bringing in a large wave of new talent to help reset the tone around the program. With a new quarterback in place and a much different supporting cast around him, the Tar Heels will get an immediate read on their progress against a TCU team that should reveal plenty about how far Belichicks rebuild has come. [Read more 🡒]