North Carolina’s kicking situation took another turn on Friday, and for the moment, Rece Verhoff is out of the picture.
Just 16 days after UNC put Verhoff back on the roster following a class action temporary injunction in Colorado that granted the class of 2022 players a fifth year of eligibility, the Tenth Circuit court approved the NCAA’s stay request. That ruling makes Verhoff currently ineligible.
The timing leaves the Tar Heels in a gray area with their season opener against TCU in Dublin, Ireland, only eight days away. It’s still unclear whether Verhoff will pursue relief in another state or whether he’ll be cleared in time to suit up for UNC.
Coach Bill Belichick addressed the uncertainty just before the ruling came down.
"We'll see how the whole thing with Rece plays out, whether he actually is in fact able to participate or not," Belichick said minutes before the overruling was announced. "It appears now that there's certainly a good chance of that, but it hasn't been resolved definitely. Until it is, we really have to have a contingency plan for whatever the resolution is on that."
UNC did not comment on Friday’s decision.
The Tar Heels have options if Verhoff remains unavailable. They brought in transfer kicker Aeron Burrell from LSU this offseason, and he has been battling Verhoff over the last few weeks. They also have David Green, a true freshman from High Point, North Carolina.
Verhoff arrived at UNC in 2025 after three seasons at Marshall, and he was the team’s top scorer last year with 77 points. He converted 19 of 23 field goals for an 82.6 percent clip, including perfect marks from 20-29 yards and a strong showing from 40-49 yards. He also went 3-for-4 from 30-39 yards and 1-for-3 from 50-plus yards.
His season included a 57-yard kick against Wake Forest, which set the UNC record for the longest field goal in program history. Verhoff was also named Honorable Mention All-ACC in 2025.
He took part in UNC’s Pro Day in March, where he met with NFL personnel, after declaring for the 2026 NFL Draft. Verhoff also told TarHeel247 that he tried out for the , but it didn’t lead to a signing.
In Other News...
UNC Now Has A Real Shot With Fast-Rising 2027 Standout
Asa Montgomerys recruiting calendar is starting to fill up, and North Carolina has secured a key spot in the mix. The highly regarded class of 2027 guard has lined up eight official visits across the country, with Chapel Hill set for Sept. 25 as the fifth stop on his tour. For a program still working to stay in front of elite young talent, landing a visit at that point in the process matters.
UNCs staff, led by Michael Malone, has been active in Montgomerys recruitment, treating him like the sort of prospect worth early attention. The Tar Heels are competing with a deep list of programs for his attention, and the visit schedule suggests this will be a real test of how much traction they can build when he arrives on campus. [Read more 🡒]
North Carolina's Offense May Finally Have The Stability Fans Needed
Billy Edwards Jr. won North Carolinas Week 1 quarterback job after a tight camp battle with Miles ONeill, giving the Tar Heels a clearer path into the opener. For a program that spent much of the offseason searching for answers on offense, settling the quarterback spot matters almost as much as the name itself. It gives the staff a chance to build continuity, and it gives the rest of the unit a firmer foundation to work from as the season gets going.
The support around Edwards has been a focus, too, with the Tar Heels leaning on offensive line additions Andrew Threatt and Shaq McRoy to strengthen protection and open up more for the quarterbacks. Bobby Petrinos offense also figures to lean on the run game, where Demon June and Hall have been singled out as important pieces. If those parts come together, North Carolina may finally have the kind of stability fans have been waiting to see. [Read more 🡒]
UNC Frontcourt Hopes Just Got A Huge Cameron Fens Boost
North Carolinas frontcourt picture got a meaningful lift this week as the legal fight around Cameron Fens took another turn in his favor. A Tennessee court denied the NCAAs motion to stay a temporary injunction, leaving in place the ruling that allows Fens to remain eligible for the 2026-27 basketball season, a development that matters for a Tar Heels roster trying to build depth up front.
For UNC, the significance goes beyond one player on paper. Fens, who transferred from South Dakota, now remains positioned to help the Tar Heels in the seasons ahead, and the update adds another layer of reassurance to a frontcourt that already includes other cleared players. In a program where size and rotation flexibility can shape everything, keeping that option alive is a notable win even with the broader eligibility battle still hanging in the background. [Read more 🡒]
