David Cone knows exactly what it looks like when a pitcher’s best gear starts to slip, and he sees some of that same challenge building for Paul Skenes.
During Wednesday’s Yankees YES Network broadcast, Cone said the Pirates ace is facing “a tough adjustment” as his velocity has dipped and the margin for error has narrowed. Skenes, who had been living in the upper-90s, is now sitting in the mid-90s, and Cone said that makes him “more hittable this year, obviously.” Cone’s message was simple: the young right-hander is going to have to adapt.
Skenes’ recent line backed up the concern. He hasn’t worked six innings in any of his last five starts, and on Wednesday he gave up four hits and three earned runs in 4 1/3 innings in Pittsburgh’s 4-3 win over the Detroit Tigers. He also walked four and struck out five.
The season numbers still look strong in spots, but they also show a pitcher who hasn’t been as dominant as expected. Skenes is 9-11 with a 3.95 ERA, 171 strikeouts and a 1.14 WHIP.
Cone didn’t speak about it from a distance. He drew on his own experience, pointing back to the 2000 season when he was 37 and went 4-14 with a 6.91 ERA. He said he had seen something recently that showed how much his velocity had fallen and how the movement on his pitches had faded.
“[My arm] felt OK, I just didn’t have the stuff I once did. Therefore, every mistake you made, it didn’t get fouled off. It got hit out of the ballpark.”
That was the kind of night Cone was describing, and it’s the kind of reality he believes Skenes may have to confront sooner rather than later. Cone said pitchers get used to working with a certain level of stuff, and when that changes, they have to relearn how to attack hitters.
“You get used to pitching a certain way with certain stuff and then you don’t have it anymore or you lose a little bit off of it, it’s almost like you gotta learn how to use all your pitches again in a different manner,” he said. “That’s what happened to me in the year 2000, I just couldn’t figure it out. My skills diminished.
“I’m not sure that’s the case with Skenes because he’s younger but it was a tough adjustment late in my career to kind of come to terms with. ‘You know what?
Your stuff’s not as good as it once was. You gotta figure out a different way to do it.’”
Cone’s broadcast partner Michael Kay noted the obvious difference between the two pitchers, pointing out that Cone was far older than Skenes is now. Kay then raised a broader question about modern power pitching, asking, “the way these guys throw now, can [Jacob] Misiorowski throw like this for 2 or 3 years that hard, that consistently?
Can Skenes? Or does the body say, ‘No, not, it’s not normal.”
Cone’s answer was short.
“Valid point,” said Cone.
In Other News...
Yankees Sweep Bid Comes With A New Third Base Concern
Gerrit Cole has steadied the Yankees at just the right time, stringing together four strong starts with a 1.46 ERA and no home runs allowed over 25 innings. Now he lines up to face the Orioles with Kyle Bradish on the other side, giving New York a familiar big-game pitching matchup as it tries to keep momentum rolling in a series that still carries weight in the standings and in the clubhouse.
The lineup picture, though, has another layer to it. Jose Caballero is set to start at third base with Ryan McMahon sidelined by a thumb injury, while Cody Bellinger has begun a minor league rehab assignment after a strained left hamstring. For a Yankees team trying to tighten everything up heading into a big stretch, the infield shuffle is a reminder that even when the pitching is clicking, the margins can still get a little thinner. [Read more 🡒]
Yankees Fans Have Fresh Reason To Revisit That Devin Williams Trade
Nestor Cortes is officially back on the move, this time to Philadelphia on a major-league deal as he works his way back from surgery for a torn biceps tendon. He has not pitched in the majors in 2026, which adds another layer to a trade the Yankees have already had plenty of reason to revisit: the December 2024 deal that sent Cortes, Caleb Durbin and cash to Milwaukee for Devin Williams.
Williams never gave the Yankees the kind of return they had in mind, then eventually landed with the Mets, while Durbin has gone on to impress with both the Brewers and Red Sox. For New York, the trade remains tied to a familiar frustration, because it is not just about what Williams did or did not do in pinstripes - it is also about the player development and roster fit the Yankees let walk away at a time when they still search for more consistent offense. [Read more 🡒]
Yankees Just Made A Telling Bet On Their Next Wave
The Yankees are already making their next long-range investment, lining up a deal in the international market that says plenty about how they want to build behind the scenes. The organization has reportedly reached a verbal pre-agreement with a teenage outfielder from the Dominican Republic, a player known for his speed, power and offensive success in his home country, even though he is still too young to sign a professional contract under MLB rules.
What makes the commitment stand out is the size of it and the timing. A promise this substantial would represent a major slice of the clubs recent international signing pool, a sign that New York is willing to keep pushing resources toward the next wave of talent while the rules around international signings could still shift in the future. [Read more 🡒]
