BALTIMORE - The Yankees got the win Tuesday night, but the moment that followed Jazz Chisholm Jr.’s error refused to go away.
In the second inning at Camden Yards, Baltimore had runners on first and second with one out when Christian Franklin rolled a ground ball straight to Chisholm at second base. It looked like the sort of play that should have ended the inning cleanly. Instead, Chisholm couldn’t corral it, the ball skipped away, and the Orioles loaded the bases with the game still scoreless.
What happened after that is what turned a routine defensive mistake into a talking point. Chisholm immediately turned toward second base umpire Ryan Additon and appeared to say the umpire had blocked his view of the ball.
The frustration was obvious. So was the noise that followed.
Carlos Rodon, who induced the grounder, backed his teammate afterward.
“That was a tough play for Jazz, being screened by the umpire,” Rodon said.
But the replay told a different story to many viewers. On video, Additon appeared to be positioned where he should have been, which made the miscue look like Chisholm’s error alone and the complaint look more like an excuse than an explanation. The scorekeeper agreed, charging Chisholm with an E4.
The Yankees escaped the inning anyway. Rodon struck out former Yankees prospect Carlos Narvaez and then fanned Jackson Holliday to leave all three runners stranded.
New York went on to beat the Orioles 3-1 and improve to 70-55, still second in the AL East and five games behind the first-place Tampa Bay Rays through Aug. 19.
Even with the win in hand, the play fit the shape of Chisholm’s season. He entered Tuesday hitting .217 with 17 home runs and 48 RBIs, and he had been benched over the weekend as his slump deepened. The defensive lapse only added to the pressure.
That’s been the story around Chisholm all year. He hit 31 home runs in 2025, came into 2026 expected to anchor the middle of the Yankees’ lineup, and is playing this season on a one-year, $10.2 million contract while heading toward free agency. A player long regarded as a steady glove up the middle has looked less secure in the field, and every mistake now lands harder because of where he stands in his contract year.
Chisholm hasn’t hidden from how bad it’s felt.
“It sucked. I’ve sucked all season. The numbers speak for themselves,” Chisholm said.
Manager Aaron Boone, speaking to The Athletic last week about Chisholm’s offensive struggles, said the player has to work through the grind of a long season.
“He expects to be great,” Boone said. “But that’s part of this game.
You’ve got to handle that. Different guys say different things publicly.
They’re just that. It’s a grind of a season for everyone involved.”
“You’ve got to be able to handle all of the things, and he is,” Boone added. “He hasn’t found that stretch of play that he’s obviously done with us the last couple of years and that he’s accustomed to and that he expects.”
The Yankees survived the inning and the game. What lingered was the replay, the complaint, and the latest reminder that Chisholm’s season keeps creating extra baggage every time the ball finds him.
In Other News...
Yankees Sweep Bid Comes With A New Third Base Concern
Gerrit Cole has steadied the Yankees at just the right time, stringing together four strong starts with a 1.46 ERA and no home runs allowed over 25 innings. Now he lines up to face the Orioles with Kyle Bradish on the other side, giving New York a familiar big-game pitching matchup as it tries to keep momentum rolling in a series that still carries weight in the standings and in the clubhouse.
The lineup picture, though, has another layer to it. Jose Caballero is set to start at third base with Ryan McMahon sidelined by a thumb injury, while Cody Bellinger has begun a minor league rehab assignment after a strained left hamstring. For a Yankees team trying to tighten everything up heading into a big stretch, the infield shuffle is a reminder that even when the pitching is clicking, the margins can still get a little thinner. [Read more 🡒]
Yankees Fans Have Fresh Reason To Revisit That Devin Williams Trade
Nestor Cortes is officially back on the move, this time to Philadelphia on a major-league deal as he works his way back from surgery for a torn biceps tendon. He has not pitched in the majors in 2026, which adds another layer to a trade the Yankees have already had plenty of reason to revisit: the December 2024 deal that sent Cortes, Caleb Durbin and cash to Milwaukee for Devin Williams.
Williams never gave the Yankees the kind of return they had in mind, then eventually landed with the Mets, while Durbin has gone on to impress with both the Brewers and Red Sox. For New York, the trade remains tied to a familiar frustration, because it is not just about what Williams did or did not do in pinstripes - it is also about the player development and roster fit the Yankees let walk away at a time when they still search for more consistent offense. [Read more 🡒]
Yankees Just Made A Telling Bet On Their Next Wave
The Yankees are already making their next long-range investment, lining up a deal in the international market that says plenty about how they want to build behind the scenes. The organization has reportedly reached a verbal pre-agreement with a teenage outfielder from the Dominican Republic, a player known for his speed, power and offensive success in his home country, even though he is still too young to sign a professional contract under MLB rules.
What makes the commitment stand out is the size of it and the timing. A promise this substantial would represent a major slice of the clubs recent international signing pool, a sign that New York is willing to keep pushing resources toward the next wave of talent while the rules around international signings could still shift in the future. [Read more 🡒]
