David Cone Just Added Fuel To A Growing Jazz Chisholm Debate

David Cone commends Jazz Chisholm Jr.'s rare skills and urges the Yankees to harness his potential despite recent struggles.

David Cone keeps seeing the same thing in Jazz Chisholm Jr.: a player who can change a game in a blink.

The former Yankees pitcher was already pushing for Chisholm to keep getting opportunities against right-handed pitching down the stretch, arguing on the YES Network earlier this week that the second baseman’s bat could still matter for a slumbering offense. Then Wednesday night gave Cone another example to point to.

In the top of the eighth against the Orioles, Heliot Ramos was hit by a pitch, and Chisholm followed by walking to move runners on first and second. Jose Caballero was then hit by a pitch to load the bases. George Lombard Jr. followed with an infield single that brought in Ramos and gave the Yankees a 4-3 lead.

The key moment came next. When Yennier Cano fired a wild pitch to Austin Wells, Chisholm broke from third and scored to make it 5-3 Yankees, a score that held up as the final.

“The talent of Jazz Chisholm showing up right there,” Cone said. “There’s a handful of players in the big leagues that can do it that way.

“Very decisive, exceptional speed, easily in there.”

Chisholm finished with two walks and two runs scored.

It was a sharp rebound of sorts after Tuesday night, when he made an error on what could have been an inning-ending double play and was charged with an E4 in the second inning. Chisholm was visibly frustrated because the umpire was in his way.

Even with that rough night fresh in mind, Cone’s view didn’t budge.

“Facing righties, you gotta give Jazz a chance to get going here down the stretch,” Cone said on Sunday. “He’s that kind of player if he gets hot.”

In Other News...

Yankees Sweep Bid Comes With A New Third Base Concern

Gerrit Cole has steadied the Yankees at just the right time, stringing together four strong starts with a 1.46 ERA and no home runs allowed over 25 innings. Now he lines up to face the Orioles with Kyle Bradish on the other side, giving New York a familiar big-game pitching matchup as it tries to keep momentum rolling in a series that still carries weight in the standings and in the clubhouse.

The lineup picture, though, has another layer to it. Jose Caballero is set to start at third base with Ryan McMahon sidelined by a thumb injury, while Cody Bellinger has begun a minor league rehab assignment after a strained left hamstring. For a Yankees team trying to tighten everything up heading into a big stretch, the infield shuffle is a reminder that even when the pitching is clicking, the margins can still get a little thinner. [Read more 🡒]

Yankees Fans Have Fresh Reason To Revisit That Devin Williams Trade

Nestor Cortes is officially back on the move, this time to Philadelphia on a major-league deal as he works his way back from surgery for a torn biceps tendon. He has not pitched in the majors in 2026, which adds another layer to a trade the Yankees have already had plenty of reason to revisit: the December 2024 deal that sent Cortes, Caleb Durbin and cash to Milwaukee for Devin Williams.

Williams never gave the Yankees the kind of return they had in mind, then eventually landed with the Mets, while Durbin has gone on to impress with both the Brewers and Red Sox. For New York, the trade remains tied to a familiar frustration, because it is not just about what Williams did or did not do in pinstripes - it is also about the player development and roster fit the Yankees let walk away at a time when they still search for more consistent offense. [Read more 🡒]

Yankees Just Made A Telling Bet On Their Next Wave

The Yankees are already making their next long-range investment, lining up a deal in the international market that says plenty about how they want to build behind the scenes. The organization has reportedly reached a verbal pre-agreement with a teenage outfielder from the Dominican Republic, a player known for his speed, power and offensive success in his home country, even though he is still too young to sign a professional contract under MLB rules.

What makes the commitment stand out is the size of it and the timing. A promise this substantial would represent a major slice of the clubs recent international signing pool, a sign that New York is willing to keep pushing resources toward the next wave of talent while the rules around international signings could still shift in the future. [Read more 🡒]