Mets Outfield Decision Is Raising A Frustrating A.J. Ewing Question

The NY Mets' wavering strategy leaves Luis Robert Jr.'s role in doubt amid changes in their outfield line-up.

The Mets have already started to send a message with their outfield, and it’s not the one they said they wanted to send.

After spending stretches this season without Luis Robert Jr. and Juan Soto because of injuries, New York finally got a look at a healthier outfield mix. With Soto sidelined again, this time by a calf strain, the club has had a daily run of A.J.

Ewing, Robert and Carson Benge. Most of the time, that meant the rookies on the corners and the veteran in center.

But that setup didn’t last long once the Mets decided Ewing needed more work in center field, where he’s expected to settle in down the road. Over the weekend against the Washington Nationals, Robert made his left-field debut in the majors.

He didn’t even get a ball hit his way.

That alone wouldn’t normally mean much. What stands out is how quickly the Mets moved away from the idea.

Since that left-field look, Robert has started a couple of games in center and also had a day off. Then, on Aug. 19, when he entered as a pinch-hitter for left fielder Cristian Pache, the Mets shifted the defense again, putting Robert back in center and sending Ewing to the open corner.

That runs straight against the plan Andy Green spelled out just last week. The interim manager said Ewing would play center field in two out of every three games the rest of the season, with Robert handling the other third. Instead, the Mets have acted like they’d rather keep the veteran in the middle.

Robert still has the resume to justify the instinct. He won a Gold Glove in center field in 2020 and has piled up +33 Outs Above Average and +20 Defensive Runs Saved there in his career. But this season, he’s only barely on the positive side in those numbers, and he’s set to hit free agency if the Mets turn down his $20 million club option for 2027.

Ewing has been better in center this year, checking in at +2 OAA and +3 DRS. More importantly, he’s the future at the position. At this point in a season that’s headed toward the NL East cellar, that should be the part that matters most.

The Mets already showed they were willing to move Juan Soto from right field to left to make room for Benge. The puzzling part is why they haven’t asked Robert to do the same for Ewing.

In Other News...

Darryl Strawberry Had A Powerful Message After Nick Kyrgios News

Nick Kyrgioss provisional suspension after a positive cocaine test from an event in Mallorca has drawn attention well beyond tennis, and Darryl Strawberry weighed in with the perspective of someone who knows how public struggle can spill into a wider conversation. Strawberry, the former Mets star who is now a Christian minister, framed the situation around understanding and recovery when substance abuse is part of the picture.

Kyrgios has already apologized publicly, saying his drug use was tied to the physical and mental strain of injuries and the sense that his career may be nearing its end. For a player whose talent and volatility have kept him in the spotlight for years, the next chapter now carries a different kind of pressure, one that puts the focus on how he responds once the initial shock fades. [Read more 🡒]

Mets Fans Have A New Reason To Question This Roster Strategy

The Mets roster-building choices are drawing fresh scrutiny as the White Sox keep turning seemingly modest moves into useful major league pieces. Several Chicago players who were available along the way have since emerged as the sort of depth and upside the Mets could have used, especially as the club continues to balance present needs with long-term planning. In a market where every roster spot matters, those comparisons are hard to ignore.

Chicagos track record with those acquisitions also adds another layer to the conversation. The White Sox not only identified players the Mets passed by, they helped put them in positions to contribute, which makes the missed connections stand out even more from New Yorks side. For a team still trying to justify its roster strategy, the bigger question is whether these were isolated omissions or part of a pattern. [Read more 🡒]

Daniel Duarte Is Turning Into A Mets Bullpen Story Nobody Saw Coming

Daniel Duartes path back to a big league mound has already been unusual enough. After undergoing his second elbow surgery in April 2024, he rebuilt himself in the Mexican Pacific Winter League and then carried that momentum into the Mets bullpen, where he has looked far more like a steady late-inning option than a comeback flyer. The results have backed it up, with a 0.89 ERA and 19 strikeouts in 21 innings, plus the kind of poise that has made him useful in tight spots.

Andy Green has noticed the way Duarte has handled pressure, and the bigger picture is just as interesting as the numbers. Duarte is not just surviving on feel or hope after all the rehab work, either. He has expanded his mix by adding a cutter to go with his fastball and sweeper, a sign that his turnaround is not simply about getting healthy but about becoming a more complete pitcher while the Mets continue sorting out what he can be for them. [Read more 🡒]