Malik Nabers Just Gave Giants Fans Reason For Hope And Caution

After nearly a year of rehabilitation, Malik Nabers cautiously strides back into full-speed drills, showing promising signs of recovery tempered with precaution.

The latest Malik Nabers camp update brings both encouragement and a small reminder that this comeback is still a process.

After the New York Giants handled him with real caution following his ACL tear late last September, Nabers finally cleared a major checkpoint in the team’s most recent training camp practice. For the first time since the injury on September 28, 2025, he went full-speed in 11-on-11 drills.

Jordan Raanan also reported that Nabers caught three passes in full-speed 7-on-7 work.

That matters for Giants fans because this kind of practice has been the whole point of the slow, measured approach. The team has clearly wanted to avoid rushing anything, and Monday’s session showed why.

Raanan added that Nabers did some route running on the sideline while working with trainers and said he "ran gingerly at times but seemed to complete scheduled workload."

That’s where the update gets its little yin and yang. On one hand, Nabers was back in full-speed team work, which is the biggest positive in this entire stretch. On the other, the sight of him moving gingerly naturally raises an eyebrow.

Still, that part of the picture lines up with what John Harbaugh recently said about where Nabers should be at this stage. Harbaugh had already indicated that this was the point of the rehab plan, and Nabers doing full-speed drills fits that timeline.

The “gingerly” detail also doesn’t sound out of the ordinary when you consider what Harbaugh said Nabers has already been doing. He has been running, planting and cutting, and stepping into full team periods after that can take some adjustment.

So while Nabers is clearly not all the way back to the version of himself Giants fans are used to seeing, the bigger takeaway is that he remains on track. He should still be in line to play in Week 1, even if expecting a full workload in snaps and targets may be a bit much.

For now, the likeliest explanation is simple: Nabers was sore after getting back into team drills. That would make the cautious movement understandable, not alarming.

As long as Harbaugh keeps talking about a Week 1 return in positive terms, there’s not much reason to panic over the bumps along the way. Nabers is moving forward, and updates like this appear to be part of the normal rhythm of the recovery.

In Other News...

Giants Move On From Veteran Starter As O-Line Youth Push Continues

The Giants youth movement along the offensive line has now sent another veteran out the door, with Greg Van Roten landing a one-year deal with the Patriots. Van Roten, 36, had been a starter in New York and has spent time with multiple NFL teams, making him a familiar kind of stopgap addition for a club looking for experienced help.

For the Giants, the move fits a broader push to get younger up front and keep building around players who can grow together. For Van Roten, it means another chance to carve out a role, and New England appears to see him as a versatile piece who can help at both guard and center while adding depth to a group that always seems to need it. [Read more 🡒]

Giants Backfield Just Got More Crowded For A Veteran Runner

The Giants have added another name to an already busy backfield, bringing in veteran running back Najee Harris to give the offense more depth at a position that already features Cam Skattebo, Tyrone Tracy Jr., Devin Singletary and Eric Gray. Harris arrives with plenty of NFL experience and a Pro Bowl nod from his time with the Steelers, giving New York another proven option as it sorts out how the carries will be distributed.

For a team looking to sort through a crowded running back room, the move adds both depth and a little more intrigue. Harris gives the Giants a different body type and rsum to mix into the rotation, and it also leaves the backfield picture looking a bit less settled than it was before the signing. [Read more 🡒]

Giants Just Sent A Clear Message About Their Receiver Battle

JuJu Smith-Schusters brief run with the Giants ended just as quickly as it began, a sign that the teams receiver competition is still very much in flux. Signed on June 1, Smith-Schuster never made much of an imprint during offseason work and was inactive in a recent game, while Braxton Berrios and Odell Beckham Jr. remain in the mix and are expected to be available for the next one.

The move also comes with a notable roster wrinkle, since the Giants filled the spot by adding running back Najee Harris. Even with Berrios and Beckham still on hand, the decision to move on from Smith-Schuster suggests the Giants are continuing to sort out which pass-catchers fit the plan best as they head into the upcoming game. [Read more 🡒]