Malik Nabers is the name to watch as the New York Giants move deeper into the week.
The wide receiver, working his way back from a pair of surgeries to repair a torn ACL, could get his first crack at team drills as soon as Monday afternoon. That would mark a notable step forward in his ramp-up, especially after he wore a red jersey for the first time on Thursday and took part in team periods during what head coach John Harbaugh described as a “no-physicality” jog through practice.
So far, Nabers still has not been in 1-on-1, 7-on-7, or live 11-on-11 work.
Harbaugh had already been setting the stage for this possibility last week, when he suggested Nabers might begin getting more involved in group and team periods. “We’re looking towards soon ramping him up into some group periods and perhaps some team periods,” Harbaugh said.
“Maybe next week, we’ll see. He’s doing great.
He’s working hard. Spirits are high.
And yeah, we’ll see where we’re at next week.”
Next week has arrived, and the Giants now appear ready to test how much Nabers can handle in a more controlled setting.
That distinction matters, because New York has a preseason game at Miami on Saturday and then a padded joint practice with the Dolphins on Thursday. Nabers is unlikely to be part of either of those more unpredictable situations. In normal practices, though, the Giants can keep him in the red, non-contact jersey and manage how closely defenders are allowed to challenge him.
The team still hasn’t put a timetable on when Nabers will be back in game action. The opener is Sunday, Sept. 13 against the Dallas Cowboys, and that date has been the obvious point of speculation ever since camp opened last month in West Virginia.
Through camp, Nabers has looked more and more comfortable. He has been running, cutting, and adjusting in the air to passes that aren’t always perfectly placed, which has only fueled the attention around his progress.
Harbaugh also singled out coordinator of rehabilitation and return to play Allie Boudreau for the work she has done with Nabers while the team was in West Virginia.
“She’s working with him. And she’s been working on situations where you’re off balance, up, landing off balance, and unpredictable type situations that you’re going to get, rather than just doing normal rehab, and then going out there and all of a sudden being surprised by the awkwardness of football,” Harbaugh said.
“Try to create as much as you can in a controlled setting. And I think she’s doing a great job with that, and Malik’s working really hard on it.”
In Other News...
Giants Move On From Veteran Starter As O-Line Youth Push Continues
The Giants youth movement along the offensive line has now sent another veteran out the door, with Greg Van Roten landing a one-year deal with the Patriots. Van Roten, 36, had been a starter in New York and has spent time with multiple NFL teams, making him a familiar kind of stopgap addition for a club looking for experienced help.
For the Giants, the move fits a broader push to get younger up front and keep building around players who can grow together. For Van Roten, it means another chance to carve out a role, and New England appears to see him as a versatile piece who can help at both guard and center while adding depth to a group that always seems to need it. [Read more 🡒]
Giants Backfield Just Got More Crowded For A Veteran Runner
The Giants have added another name to an already busy backfield, bringing in veteran running back Najee Harris to give the offense more depth at a position that already features Cam Skattebo, Tyrone Tracy Jr., Devin Singletary and Eric Gray. Harris arrives with plenty of NFL experience and a Pro Bowl nod from his time with the Steelers, giving New York another proven option as it sorts out how the carries will be distributed.
For a team looking to sort through a crowded running back room, the move adds both depth and a little more intrigue. Harris gives the Giants a different body type and rsum to mix into the rotation, and it also leaves the backfield picture looking a bit less settled than it was before the signing. [Read more 🡒]
Giants Just Sent A Clear Message About Their Receiver Battle
JuJu Smith-Schusters brief run with the Giants ended just as quickly as it began, a sign that the teams receiver competition is still very much in flux. Signed on June 1, Smith-Schuster never made much of an imprint during offseason work and was inactive in a recent game, while Braxton Berrios and Odell Beckham Jr. remain in the mix and are expected to be available for the next one.
The move also comes with a notable roster wrinkle, since the Giants filled the spot by adding running back Najee Harris. Even with Berrios and Beckham still on hand, the decision to move on from Smith-Schuster suggests the Giants are continuing to sort out which pass-catchers fit the plan best as they head into the upcoming game. [Read more 🡒]
