Pablo López took a meaningful step in his recovery on Friday, and it came with the kind of small but important progress that can make a long rehab feel real.
Before the Twins opened their series in San Diego at Petco Park, López threw a baseball for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery in February. Manager Derek Shelton watched as López played catch from about 30 to 45 feet in a brief session, a modest distance that still represented a major checkpoint in the 30-year-old right-hander’s path back.
López said the moment carried plenty of nerves, but the work itself went smoothly.
“It felt good, and what a place to do it, San Diego is perfect,” López said. “It was nerve wracking.
I felt like I was warming up to throw a postseason game, because they let me do my normal pre-throw routine, which I had to figure out on the spot. I was trying to remember.
So I went through some muscle memory, transitioned from one station to the other. But once I got out there, I was able to just feel the arm path.
From such a short distance, 30-45 feet, there’s not going to be a lot of air under the ball. It’s really just getting into a good rhythm, feeling your tempo.”
Shelton came away encouraged as well.
“It’s a large step,” he said. “His arm was moving forward and there was a baseball that came out of it.
Even though it was only 30 feet and 45 feet, I think it was very encouraging. He left with a smile, I think I left with a smile.”
The session came after López received clearance to play catch in a recent follow-up with Dr. Keith Meister in Texas. That was the confirmation he had been waiting for after a spring that turned into a rehab detour almost immediately.
López’s elbow trouble began after a live bullpen session was cut short during the Twins’ first full-squad workout of Spring Training in February because of right elbow soreness. An MRI later showed significant tearing of his ulnar collateral ligament, and after a second opinion from Meister, surgery was recommended and eventually performed in late February.
For López, hearing that his arm had healed enough to begin throwing again carried real weight.
“It’s the biggest green light that you’re looking for,” López said. “I could check all the boxes, I could feel good every step of the way, but not until you hear the doctor saying, ‘It’s healed,’ you don’t get that full green light. That was all the affirmation I needed to make sure that I went into today [knowing] I was just going to be able to go out there, feel normal with my routine, and then, obviously, take it easy.
“I just wanted to have good rhythm, and whatever came out of my hand today, is what it is, but I’m very happy with how it went.”
The next phase is straightforward in theory, if not in timing: López has to gradually build up both volume and distance in his catch-play work before moving on to whatever comes next. The timetable for that progression remains unclear.
This is López’s second Tommy John recovery; he also had the procedure in 2014 while in the Mariners organization. And while he’s been sidelined, he’s stayed unusually close to the Twins’ day-to-day life.
He’s made appearances on the club’s TV and radio broadcasts, including spots on the pregame and postgame shows. He’s charted pitches from the dugout, acted as an interpreter for media interviews and even taken photos that the Twins posted on social media when the team was in Iowa for the Field of Dreams Game on Aug. 13.
“Doing all those little side quests has been really fulfilling,” López said.
Shelton clearly appreciated the extra work López has taken on, but he also sounded relieved to see the pitcher inch back toward the mound.
“For as good a human being as he is,” Shelton said, “to be able to start crossing hurdles to get back to doing what he should be doing instead of broadcasting games or translating -- or whatever else he’s doing -- I’m just really excited we’re going to get to watch him do what we actually pay him to do.”
In Other News...
Former Twins Are Making Minnesota's Recent Turnover Look Very Different
As the Twins get ready to open a series against the Padres, a few familiar names are still hanging around the edges of the organizations recent roster churn, just in different uniforms. Max Kepler, Willi Castro and Caleb Thielbar all moved on from Minnesota, and their new situations offer a quick reminder that turnover does not always settle neatly in the moment.
Kepler is with the Diamondbacks but cannot be part of their playoff roster because of a suspension, while Castro has put together solid offensive numbers with the Rockies. Thielbar, meanwhile, is pitching for the Cubs and has had a difficult season, which only adds to the mixed picture. For the Twins, it is the kind of ex-factor list that can make a busy roster reset look a little more complicated in hindsight. [Read more 🡒]
Twins Deadline Pitching Haul Is Already Changing The Playoff Picture
The Twins went into the trade deadline looking for help on the mound, and the front office came away with a full pitching makeover. A.J. Minter, Tommy Nance, Jeff Hoffman and Dean Kremer all arrived in separate moves around the deadline, and each has already found a role in the reshaped staff. Kremer has given Minnesota a steadier look in the rotation, while the three relievers have helped deepen a bullpen that needed more trustworthy innings.
What makes the haul stand out is how quickly the pieces have fit. The Twins did not just add arms for the sake of depth, they added pitchers who have already changed the way the staff is functioning from one night to the next. Minter, Nance and Hoffman have each given the club stronger work in relief, and Kremer has helped calm things down at the front of games, leaving Minnesota with a much different pitching profile as the playoff race tightens. [Read more 🡒]
Former Twins Fan Favorite Suffers Another Brutal Mets Setback
Jorge Polancos first season with the Mets has taken another hard turn, and it comes after a winter in which New York tried to reshape the roster around bigger expectations. The former Twins fan favorite signed a two-year, $40 million deal to join a club that hoped his switch-hitting bat and steady presence would help push it forward, but instead the season has been defined by disruption and frustration.
Polanco has already landed on the injured list twice, and his latest setback is left ankle bursitis that required surgery and will end his season. For a Mets team sitting last in the National League East at 58-70, it is one more blow in a year where little has gone according to plan, and for Minnesota fans still tracking one of their own, it adds another rough chapter to a difficult reunion. [Read more 🡒]
