Utah Just Turned A Bitter Freddie Whittingham Exit Into A Fight

In a legal showdown sparked by loyalty and contracts, Utah takes action against Freddie Whittingham for allegedly breaching employment terms as he joins his brother's burgeoning coaching contingent at Michigan.

The University of Utah has taken former assistant coach Freddie Whittingham to court, saying he broke his contract when he left the Utes to join his brother Kyle Whittingham’s staff at Michigan earlier this year.

Utah filed the lawsuit on Aug. 3 in the 3rd District Court, according to the Salt Lake Tribune. The school is seeking more than $300,000 for breach of contract, plus at least $1 million in general and special damages tied to a separate fiduciary-duty claim. The filing also asks for punitive damages.

Whittingham had been on Utah’s football staff since 2012 and was under contract through Jan. 31, 2027. His annual base salary was $525,000.

In the complaint, Utah says Whittingham "abandoned" his role around Jan. 1, not long after Kyle Whittingham was hired as Michigan’s head coach. The university alleges he never got written permission to speak with Michigan about a job, never submitted written notice that he was resigning, and never paid the liquidated damages required by his contract.

Utah also claims Whittingham stopped giving full-time attention to his duties with the Utes and that he was recruiting Utah players and recruits to Michigan while still under contract.

The lawsuit says Utah associate athletic director Jeff Rudy told Whittingham on Jan. 1 that he was still a Utah employee, despite reports that he was headed to Michigan. Later that night, Rudy allegedly saw Whittingham and family members clearing out his office.

The next day, Whittingham was at a Michigan basketball game with Kyle and other former Utah staffers, and Kyle introduced them as members of his new staff, according to the filing. Utah further alleges that a Michigan athletics employee reached out to the school on Jan. 3 about transferring Whittingham’s phone line.

Whittingham later told Rudy that he expected Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel to contact Utah about a possible buyout, the lawsuit says.

Under his contract, Whittingham was supposed to pay liquidated damages equal to 75% of his annual salary for each full year remaining if he left without cause for another coaching job. Utah says it asked for that payment in January, but Whittingham disputed that he owed it.

The school also says Whittingham was recruiting Utah players to Michigan while he was still on the Utes’ payroll. Five Utah players who entered the transfer portal eventually landed at Michigan: tight end JJ Buchanan, edge rusher John Henry Daley, defensive lineman Jonah Lea'ea, and cornerbacks Salesi Moa and Smith Snowden.

Whittingham was one of five full-time Utah assistants who followed Kyle to Michigan, but Utah says he was the only one who did not meet his contractual liquidated-damages obligation.

Kyle Whittingham left Utah after 21 seasons as the program’s winningest coach before taking the Michigan job in December.

In Other News...

Michigan Fall Camp Has One Injury Worry Fans Will Notice

Fall camp has mostly brought good news for Michigan, at least on the health front. Offensive coordinator Jason Beck said the Wolverines are relatively healthy, with only minor setbacks occasionally pulling a few players out of practice, and there has been no report of a major injury clouding the start of preparations.

Andrew Babalola and Savion Hiter appear to be among the names worth monitoring after dealing with minor tweaks, but nothing has been confirmed as serious. The bigger picture is encouraging for Michigan, with several players back from significant injuries suffered in previous seasons and showing positive progress as camp moves along. [Read more 🡒]

Michigan Faces A Late Roster Decision It May Be Smart To Avoid

The NCAAs new five-for-five rule has already started to reshape how college football programs think about roster planning, but Michigan appears to be approaching the change with caution. The rule gives athletes five years to play five seasons and effectively wipes out the old redshirt model, creating a wider path for players who want to stretch out their college careers and a fresh layer of decisions for coaches trying to manage scholarship space and experience.

A recent court ruling added another wrinkle by extending eligibility for Class of 2022 players and opening a transfer portal window tied to the change, which only increases the pool of possible moves for teams to monitor. Michigans stance, though, suggests it may not chase those late additions, leaving the Wolverines to build around the roster they already have rather than dive into a market that could still shift again. [Read more 🡒]