The Traverse City Central boys soccer team stepped onto the field this week carrying more than a season opener. They were missing a teammate, but they made sure Wilder Seeburger was still part of the night.
Seeburger, 17, died after a car crash Sunday night, according to a broadcast report by UpNorthLive.com. He was preparing to start his junior year.
UpNorthLive previously reported that the Grand Traverse County Sheriff's Office is investigating the crash and believes alcohol was involved. According to the sheriff's office, a Ford F-250 driven by a 22-year-old man crossed the center line near Center Road and Mapleton Lane and struck a Honda CR-V driven by Seeburger.
The other driver was taken to a local hospital with what were reported to be non-life-threatening injuries.
His death was confirmed in an obituary posted by the Reynolds Jonkhoff Funeral Home.
On the field, Seeburger’s teammates found a simple but powerful way to honor him. Before the varsity team’s first game since his death, they hung his jersey from a goal post. The gesture came from the players themselves as they tried to pay tribute to a friend and teammate in the middle of a heartbreaking week.
“It was really emotional. It was really special,” Traverse City Central coach Gavin Richmond told UpNorthLive.
“It was kind of surreal, to be honest, to be part of something like that. Something bigger than football.”
The Trojans backed up the tribute with a win, beating Forest Hills Northern 6-4. Traverse City Central dug out of a 3-1 halftime hole and outscored the host Wildcats 5-1 after the break. Traverse City North is scheduled for its home opener Friday evening against Oxford.
The team also voted to retire Seeburger’s No. 33 jersey.
Richmond said he was proud of the maturity his players showed while facing such a painful moment, and the tribute helped keep Seeburger present for the Trojans’ season opener.
According to his obituary, soccer was one of Seeburger’s biggest passions, and he had played since he was 3 years old. He was also an avid gamer and enjoyed working on Hypercars.
The obituary described him as “spunky, fun-loving, thoughtful, and full of life,” someone who was almost always smiling and made sure the people around him knew how much he cared about them.
A visitation is set for Thursday, Aug. 27, 2026, from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. and from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Reynolds-Jonkhoff Funeral Home, 305 Sixth Street, Traverse City, Michigan.
In Other News...
Michigans Offense Still Has One Big Camp Question Behind Bryce Underwood
Bryce Underwoods summer surge has been one of the clearer developments in Michigans fall camp, and offensive coordinator Jason Beck said the freshman has made real strides with his consistency and footwork. Even with that progress, there is still plenty for the staff to sort through around him, from the offensive line to a receiver room that is still taking shape as camp moves along.
Behind Underwood, the quarterback battle is still tight between Tommy Carr and Brady Smigiel, which keeps a little more intrigue in the room than the starter spot alone would suggest. Michigan is also trying to build chemistry across the offense while leaning into its depth at running back and wide receiver, so the next few weeks should go a long way toward showing how much of the unit is ready to settle and how much remains open. [Read more 🡒]
Michigans Backup QB Battle Could Matter More Than Fans Realize
Michigans quarterback depth chart is taking shape behind Bryce Underwood, but the decision on his primary backup could loom larger than it first appears. Colorado State transfer Brayden Fowler-Nicolosi brings college experience and a strong arm, while true freshman Tommy Carr offered a different look in the spring game with his mobility and playmaking ability.
The competition is still ongoing as Michigan moves toward its season opener, and the staffs choice may say plenty about how it wants to protect itself if the unexpected happens. It is a familiar spring-to-fall storyline, but for a team built around a young starter, getting the No. 2 spot right can matter just as much as the headline name at the top. [Read more 🡒]
Ohio State Remains In The Fight For A Massive 2028 Recruit
One of the biggest names in the 2028 class is already trimming things down, and Michigan is still very much in the conversation. Five-star defensive lineman Kellan Hall has narrowed his list to 12 schools, a sign that the early recruiting battle around the elite prospect is starting to take shape. The group still includes heavy hitters like Oklahoma, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Tennessee, along with the Wolverines, giving Michigan a seat at a table that figures to stay crowded for a while.
Hall is still in the evaluation stage as he gets ready for his upcoming high school season, weighing the different factors that will matter most when he eventually makes a decision. For Michigan, simply staying on the list matters, especially with a player of his stature and upside on the board this early. The next step will be seeing which programs can keep building momentum before the race tightens again. [Read more 🡒]
