Michigan Avoided A Roster Mess Other Programs Suddenly Face

Michigan head coach Kyle Whittingham skillfully sidesteps eligibility chaos to preserve his team's cohesion, highlighting adept management amidst NCAA's regulatory upheaval.

Kyle Whittingham steered clear of the fifth-year eligibility mess, and that decision suddenly looks a lot smarter after Friday’s ruling reversal.

The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals granted the NCAA a stay of the Colorado District Court’s decision in the Winse v. NCAA case, which had given Class of 2022 athletes a fifth year of eligibility as long as they had not signed a pro contract. With the stay in place, that ruling is now reversed for the time being.

That means players such as Indiana’s Stephan Daley, who recently joined a college roster for the 2026-2027 athletic year, are now considered ineligible pending appeal. The only athletes still holding onto that fifth year are the 16 plaintiffs in the Louisiana case that received a TRO, allowing those who signed NFL contracts to return to college.

Players who filed their own lawsuits against the NCAA, including Thomas Castellanos, remain eligible to use the extra year as well. The result is a messy situation, with some players already practicing for the 2026 season while the legal fight keeps shifting underneath them.

Through fall camp, Whittingham had already made his position clear when asked about potentially adding players under the new ruling. He said Michigan had no plans to bring anyone in, and that call now looks sharp.

It was never a simple decision. Whittingham is already trying to settle into a new program, install a new system, and, in Michigan’s case, reshape the culture. Adding a veteran from the Class of 2022 might have helped with depth at spots like linebacker, but it also would have created another layer of complication.

There was a case to be made for keeping the door open, and at one point I thought Whittingham shouldn’t close it completely. But the 66-year-old coach clearly understood the risk. By staying out of the scramble, he avoided the eligibility chaos, the locker-room questions, and the possibility of bringing in a player who would still need time to learn a new playbook without any guarantee of seeing the field.

For now, the safest move in all of this looks like the one Whittingham already made: don’t chase the fifth-year chaos at all. The fight between the NCAA and Class of 2022 athletes is still rolling on, and it’s turning into a constant tug-of-war across college sports.

In Other News...

Michigan Team Pays Heartbreaking Tribute After Teammates Sudden Death

The Traverse City Central boys soccer team opened its season carrying a grief no scoreboard can measure, honoring junior Wilder Seeburger after his death following a car crash that remains under investigation by the Grand Traverse County Sheriffs Office. Seeburger, 17, was remembered before the match with his jersey hanging from a goal post, a simple but powerful gesture that turned the field into a place of mourning as much as competition.

His No. 33 was also retired as the team marked the start of a season now defined in part by loss. A visitation for Seeburger is scheduled at Reynolds-Jonkhoff Funeral Home, giving family, classmates and teammates another chance to gather around a young life gone too soon and a program still trying to find its footing in the aftermath. [Read more 🡒]

Michigans Offense Still Has One Big Camp Question Behind Bryce Underwood

Bryce Underwoods summer surge has been one of the clearer developments in Michigans fall camp, and offensive coordinator Jason Beck said the freshman has made real strides with his consistency and footwork. Even with that progress, there is still plenty for the staff to sort through around him, from the offensive line to a receiver room that is still taking shape as camp moves along.

Behind Underwood, the quarterback battle is still tight between Tommy Carr and Brady Smigiel, which keeps a little more intrigue in the room than the starter spot alone would suggest. Michigan is also trying to build chemistry across the offense while leaning into its depth at running back and wide receiver, so the next few weeks should go a long way toward showing how much of the unit is ready to settle and how much remains open. [Read more 🡒]

Michigans Backup QB Battle Could Matter More Than Fans Realize

Michigans quarterback depth chart is taking shape behind Bryce Underwood, but the decision on his primary backup could loom larger than it first appears. Colorado State transfer Brayden Fowler-Nicolosi brings college experience and a strong arm, while true freshman Tommy Carr offered a different look in the spring game with his mobility and playmaking ability.

The competition is still ongoing as Michigan moves toward its season opener, and the staffs choice may say plenty about how it wants to protect itself if the unexpected happens. It is a familiar spring-to-fall storyline, but for a team built around a young starter, getting the No. 2 spot right can matter just as much as the headline name at the top. [Read more 🡒]