Marlins Face A Tough Prospect Decision Before The Lockout

As the MLB lockout looms, the Miami Marlins navigate strategic roster decisions to safeguard future talent and maintain player development opportunities.

With the Marlins’ active roster set to grow in two weeks, the usual late-season temptation is right there in front of them: call up the kids, give them a taste, and see what sticks. But Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reported a wrinkle that changes the calculation for Miami, especially with an MLB lockout expected to start Dec. 1.

The key issue is the 40-man roster. As Jackson laid it out, if the Marlins don’t think a prospect can truly help them win this year, they aren’t likely to bring that player up just to collect a few September at-bats if he isn’t already on the 40-man.

Why? Because once the lockout begins, players on the 40-man can’t have contact with coaches or the team’s medical staff, and they can’t use team facilities.

Players outside the 40-man don’t face that restriction. They can still work with coaches over the winter, keep using team resources, attend minor-league spring training and play in minor-league games next season.

That makes Miami’s decision a lot more delicate for several Triple-A Jacksonville hitters who are not on the 40-man but have produced this year, including Cam Cannarella, Kemp Alderman and recently acquired Jonathon Long. Fish On First’s Isaac Azout said during Sunday’s livestream that Alderman’s promotion had been viewed as “imminent” before an elbow injury on May 17.

Now, with only a small slice of the 2026 season left, the path is murkier. He may have less time to adjust to major league pitching, and the Marlins have to weigh that against the cost of losing direct access to him during what could be a months-long work stoppage.

There is one correction to Jackson’s note: he said the same thinking applies to right-hander Jace Beck, but Beck will be added to the 40-man roster before the lockout no matter what. The 26-year-old is a pending minor league free agent and could leave in November if he isn’t selected, and Miami will almost certainly move to protect him given his 35% strikeout rate this season and the upside he brings.

Most of the Marlins prospects caught in this spot already work with respected third-party training facilities, so they won’t be without serious offseason resources. Even so, the club would prefer not to give up oversight of their medical care or strength-and-conditioning work while the lockout hangs over the winter.

In Other News...

Marlins Wild Card Push Suddenly Has A Joe Mack Problem

Joe Macks rapid rise has given the Marlins a steadier presence behind the plate, which is part of why his absence has landed with extra weight during a competitive stretch in the NL wild card race. The rookie catcher has been a regular starter because of his defensive skills, but he is now out for a second straight game with a sore right shoulder, leaving Miami to piece together the position with Brian Navaretto and Agustn Ramrez.

Clayton McCullough has described Mack as day-to-day, which keeps the door open for a quick return if the shoulder responds the way the club needs it to. For now, though, the Marlins are still sorting through the bigger question that comes with any catcher injury in September: whether they can avoid a longer absence, or whether Macks status will force a more serious roster move just as Miami is trying to hold its place in the race. [Read more 🡒]

Marlins Fans Finally Get An Early Look At Their New Jupiter Infield

The Marlins have already injected a wave of new talent into the system from the 2026 MLB Draft, but for now the early buzz in Jupiter is centered on a very small group. Only three draftees are active in minor league games, and with the pitching side still expected to lag behind until 2027, the first real on-field glimpse has come from the position-player side at Low-A Jupiter. That has made the Hammerheads a useful early snapshot of how Miamis newest class might start to settle into place.

First-round pick Jacob Lombard has wasted little time getting into professional action, and the early returns have given the organization something to watch closely as the season unfolds. The bigger picture in Jupiter is still being sorted out around the middle infield, where the early alignment says plenty about how the club is choosing to deploy its newest names and where there may still be room for movement once the dust settles. [Read more 🡒]