Kyle Stowers Enters 2026 Spring Training with Confidence, Perspective, and a Point to Prove
JUPITER, FL - What a difference a year makes.
Last spring, Kyle Stowers showed up to Marlins camp as a question mark. He struggled in Grapefruit League action, going just 7-for-40 with a .540 OPS - numbers that didn’t exactly scream “breakout candidate.” At the time, it looked like Stowers might be ticketed for Triple-A, still searching for the power stroke the Marlins had hoped to unlock when they brought him into the organization.
Fast forward 12 months, and the scene around Stowers couldn’t be more different. Reporters crowded his locker on Monday as Miami held its first full-squad workout of the spring.
Fans tracked his every move on the backfields. That’s what happens when you turn in a season like he did in 2025: a .288/.368/.544 slash line, 25 homers, 73 RBI, and a 149 wRC+ - production that put him squarely in the All-Star conversation.
Stowers, now 28, took the attention in stride, even poking fun at his rocky debut spring with the club.
“I think the good news is, if I played poorly in spring, everyone would be like, ‘Oh, he’s right on pace with last year,’” he said with a grin.
But the leap he made in 2025 wasn’t just about numbers - it was about adjustments. And according to manager Clayton McCullough, that’s the key to sticking in the big leagues.
“Kyle just went out there and continually made adjustments,” McCullough said. “And he’s gonna have to make adjustments again this year. If you don’t adjust in the major leagues, you won’t last long.”
That mindset - constantly evolving, constantly competing - is something Stowers clearly embraces. Even with his roster spot all but locked up heading into 2026, he’s not easing off the gas.
“I’ve gone into every single spring training my entire career to compete for a job,” Stowers said. “It’s not a passive process. I don’t want to lose that edge.”
There’s more on his plate now, too. Stowers became a father earlier this month, and while that brings a new kind of responsibility, it’s also added fuel to the fire.
“I don’t want to lose the competitive side of things,” he said. “I’ve got more motivation than ever.”
That drive could come in handy, especially with expectations rising in Miami. The Marlins improved by 17 wins last season, and principal owner Bruce Sherman made it clear on Monday that he’s expecting even more - particularly from Stowers.
“Our expectations are really high for him,” Sherman said.
Off the field, the Marlins and Stowers have at least explored the idea of a long-term extension. Reports suggested a significant gap in valuation - with Stowers’ camp reportedly seeking something in the $100 million range while the club viewed him closer to $50 million. Stowers confirmed that no formal offer was made and pushed back on the $100 million figure, but he also made it clear he’s not letting negotiations become a distraction.
“I’m just so focused on this year,” he said. “I got four years of control left.
I understand it, and you have every right to play my control out. I’m just so excited to be here, so grateful to be in this organization.
Was bummed we didn’t get something figured out. Would love to someday, but at the same time, let’s take care of this year and we’ll go from there.”
Health-wise, Stowers appears to be in a good place. He missed the final quarter of the 2025 season with an oblique strain, but he’s back to full strength and ready to pick up where he left off.
And while the Marlins took a big step forward last year, Stowers isn’t buying into the idea that progress is guaranteed. He knows how quickly things can shift in this league - and how hungry every team is, from top to bottom.
“The reality of it is all 30 teams are trying to get better,” Stowers said. “From the Dodgers to the last-place team, every single team at the end of the season looks to improve.
The notion that because we won however many games one year, then that many the next - there’s not going to be that same guarantee of increase, and we know that. You’ve got to have hunger to go earn it and continue to get as much as we can out of each day.”
Quick Hits from Marlins Camp:
- Principal owner Bruce Sherman and president of baseball operations Peter Bendix addressed the media on Monday, setting the tone for what they hope will be another step forward for the franchise.
- All 72 players invited to camp reported on time, according to manager Clayton McCullough - a promising sign as the club looks to build off last season’s momentum.
- Monday’s bullpen sessions featured a mix of rotation arms and intriguing depth pieces, including Braxton Garrett, Eury Pérez, Pete Fairbanks, Garrett Acton, Michael Petersen, Bradley Blalock, Patrick Monteverde, Thomas White, Josh White, Dale Stanavich, and Karson Milbrandt.
With a healthy Stowers, a motivated clubhouse, and a front office that’s pushing for more, the Marlins enter 2026 with a blend of optimism and urgency. And if Stowers’ breakout 2025 was just the beginning, Miami might have a cornerstone player blossoming right before their eyes.
