Malik Nabers stayed on the sideline Thursday as the Giants went through their joint practice with the Dolphins, and that was always the plan.
The star wide receiver is still working his way back from the ACL and meniscus tear he suffered in Week 4 last season, and New York isn’t putting him into a physical setting like this until the team is ready. Joint practices bring a different kind of heat than a normal camp session, with unfamiliar defenders, less predictability and a lot more chance for contact. For a player in the middle of a knee recovery, that’s not the place to test things.
ESPN Giants reporter Jordan Raanan said Nabers was not taking part in the session Thursday and called it “not a surprise,” after head coach John Harbaugh had already made it clear earlier in the week that Nabers would be held out of this kind of work. Before the trip to South Florida, Harbaugh told reporters that Nabers would travel with the team but would not take reps against a different opponent’s defenders, something the Giants can’t control the way they can in their own padded practices.
Nabers did get back into full-speed team drills this week for the first time, working in 11-on-11 and 7-on-7 periods while wearing the red no-contact jersey typically used for quarterbacks. Giants defensive backs have been told to ease up rather than finish plays on him, and safeties Tyler Nubin and Jevon Holland have both backed off contact during team work instead of risking a hit on the recovering receiver.
Harbaugh has been clear about the next step. “He won’t go through the rest of the summer in a red jersey,” Harbaugh said, per Yahoo Sports.
“He’s going to have to get bumped around and hit and fronted up. You just have to feel that and know how to deal with it to protect yourself.”
That kind of contact is expected to come in a controlled Giants practice, not against Miami in a joint setting.
Nabers is traveling with the team to Florida and is expected to do individual work on the side, but he is not expected to play in Saturday’s preseason game against the Dolphins either, according to Big Blue View.
The bigger goal is still Week 1. Nabers is on track to be ready for the Giants’ regular-season opener on Sept. 13 against the Dallas Cowboys unless something changes, and that remains the target behind every decision the staff is making right now.
And when he’s right, he changes the offense. Jaxson Dart is entering his second season as the Giants’ starting quarterback, and getting Nabers back gives New York a real difference-maker.
The LSU product was electric as a rookie after the Giants drafted him sixth overall in 2024, catching 109 passes for 1,204 yards and seven touchdowns in 15 games and earning a Pro Bowl nod while working with Daniel Jones, Tommy DeVito, Drew Lock and Tim Boyle. He picked up right where he left off to start last season, too, posting 18 catches for 271 yards and two touchdowns in his first three-plus games before the knee injury ended his year in Week 4.
Thursday’s practice also came after the Giants and Dolphins discussed how physical the session would be, including “rules of engagement” around protecting quarterbacks and keeping players from going to the ground. That’s standard joint-practice business, but it also explains why Nabers wasn’t part of it.
This was not a setback. It was the plan, unfolding exactly the way the Giants wanted.
In Other News...
Jacob Rodriguez Is Giving Dolphins Fans One Real Reason For Optimism
A bright spot emerged for the Dolphins during their joint practice against the Giants, and it came from a rookie linebacker who has been drawing attention all summer. Jacob Rodriguez picked off a pass and kept adding to the strong impression he has made throughout training camp, offering Miami a defensive playmaker to watch as the team continues sorting out its roster.
Rodriguez, the Dolphins second-round pick in the 2026 NFL Draft, has already put himself in position to keep building momentum in a bigger setting. He will get another chance to show what he can do in the upcoming preseason game against New York, where the Dolphins will be looking for more of the same from a young defender who has started to stand out. [Read more 🡒]
Dolphins Make Another Roster Move As Injury Concerns Keep Mounting
A week of roster shuffling kept going for Miami after guard James Ester was waived with an injury designation following a leg injury in a joint practice with the Giants. The Dolphins moved quickly to fill the spot, signing rookie linebacker Stephen Dix Jr. to the active roster as the team continues sorting through the effects of camp injuries and the lineup ripple they create.
Dix brings a fresh look to the back end of the roster after earlier stops with the Cardinals and a college career at Arkansas. For Miami, the move is another reminder that the preseason is as much about staying healthy as it is about evaluating talent, and the Dolphins are now trying to keep both goals in sight as camp moves along. [Read more 🡒]
Kenneth Grant Is Already Facing A Tough Dolphins Reality Check
The Dolphins long view is already running through their young defensive front, and Kenneth Grant sits right in the middle of it. The 2025 first-round pick had a rocky rookie season, but Pro Football Focus still tabbed him as Miamis most likely breakout candidate for 2026, a sign that the intrigue around him has not gone away. Even with the roster adding more depth and the organization evaluating its second- and third-year players, Grant remains one of the names that could shape how this defense looks next season.
The problem is that he is also dealing with an injury, and Jeff Hafley has described the situation as week-to-week. That leaves Grant in an awkward spot, trying to build momentum while the Dolphins sort out where he fits compared with the other defensive tackles on the roster. For a player the team clearly wants to see take a step, the next few weeks will matter just as much as the long-term projection. [Read more 🡒]
