Ty Simpson’s first real push toward the Rams’ backup quarterback job may have already changed the conversation.
For most of training camp, Los Angeles treated the No. 2 quarterback spot like it had a clear order, even if the outside view suggested a battle. Stetson Bennett handled the heavier backup workload, while Simpson was brought along more carefully.
When Matthew Stafford practiced, Bennett worked behind him and Simpson’s chances were limited. On Stafford’s off days, Bennett ran the first-team offense and Simpson took the backup reps.
It was never a true split.
That started to look different after the preseason game against the Kansas City Chiefs. Simpson delivered the kind of performance that can’t be waved away: 21-for-25 for 190 yards and two touchdowns. Bennett, meanwhile, didn’t leave much of an impression in his two drives.
Now the Rams are at least acting like they can’t completely ignore it.
On Thursday, during a joint practice, Bennett and Simpson divided the backup reps more evenly than they had all summer. Bennett got 13 reps with the second-team offense, while Simpson got 12. Afterward, Sean McVay said the shift wasn’t some sudden reset of the depth chart.
“It was exclusively because there were so many less reps,” said McVay. “Dave and I and the rest of the coaching staff will sit down and figure out how we want to approach the game once we're able to look at the film, but it was really more of a reflection of less reps and that's what that entailed.”
Maybe so. But it was still the first time since camp opened that the two had split things so evenly, and that alone stands out after a summer in which Bennett consistently seemed to have the edge.
McVay also made clear that Simpson’s job is still about development as much as competition. “Even when you just say, ‘Alright, looking at last week, Ty did a great job.
Stetson did what he could.’ I think it is important to be able to get a fair opportunity for those guys to run the offense with enough snaps,” said McVay.
“But more than anything, it's just playing real live football for a guy that hasn't played a lot of it other than preseason games.”
That’s the heart of the issue for the Rams. They spent the offseason letting Bennett’s experience matter.
He’s been in the offense for three years, and he spent two years sitting behind Jimmy Garoppolo. At the same time, Simpson came in as a first-round pick with upside that could become impossible to overlook if he keeps stacking strong outings.
His debut against Kansas City certainly made the point. He looked calm, comfortable and accurate, with his technique and footwork holding up well.
It was preseason football against backup and lower-end roster players, but it still counted. If that had been two interceptions instead of two touchdowns, the discussion around him would be very different.
That’s why Saturday’s game against the New Orleans Saints matters. One strong showing can be explained away. Two in a row starts to force the issue.
Simpson still isn’t going to jump Stafford. That part isn’t in question. But the Rams may soon have to decide whether Bennett is still the clear No. 2, or whether Simpson has already made that a tougher call than anyone expected by the end of camp.
In Other News...
Aaron Donald Suddenly Feels Much Closer To A Rams Return
Aaron Donalds football future has suddenly taken a different turn, and it comes on the heels of the Rams adding Myles Garrett to their defense. The three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year has been reportedly considering unretiring to return to Los Angeles, a development that would have seemed far-fetched not long ago for a player who walked away at the top of the sport.
Sean McVay has not been shy about his optimism, and the possibility now carries real weight as the Rams look ahead to the 2026 season. Donalds situation also invites comparison to Deion Sanders unretirement path, but for the Rams the more immediate intrigue is whether the franchise can bring back a legend and still count on him to play at a high level again. [Read more 🡒]
Rams Suddenly Have Two Roster Problems A Trade Could Solve
With Week 1 looming, the Rams are still taking a hard look at where a trade might help them most before the season opener. Receiver and offensive tackle have emerged as the two spots worth monitoring, with the front office weighing whether it needs outside help to add some insurance to a roster that could be thinner than expected in a couple of key places.
A lot of the intrigue comes from the possibility that the Rams may need to plan for more than just the players currently on hand, and that has pushed them to survey the market early. Marvin Mims and former first-round pick Keon Coleman are among the receiver names in the mix, while tackle options such as Blake Freeland and Walker Little have also surfaced as possible fits, even as the team appears more settled at linebacker than elsewhere. [Read more 🡒]
Rams May Have Finally Fixed The Unit That Cost Them Games
The Rams got a welcome preseason jolt from a special teams group that has too often been a problem area in recent years. In the opener, kicker Harrison Mevis was perfect on his field goals and extra points, punter Ethan Evans flipped the field with a 60.75-yard average on four punts, and returners Xavier Smith and Brennan Pressley each provided useful sparks with the ball in their hands.
Just as important, the coverage units held up well enough to outplay Kansas Citys in the game, a small but meaningful sign for a team that knows how much hidden-yardage issues can swing Sundays. It is only one preseason performance, but for the Rams, any hint of stability from special teams carries real weight after the unit helped cost them games before. [Read more 🡒]
