Magic Johnson Weighed In On LeBrons Lakers Return Reaction

Magic Johnson weighs in on the controversial welcome awaiting LeBron James as he returns to Los Angeles with the 76ers on Christmas Day.

Magic Johnson says Lakers fans ought to welcome LeBron James back with applause when the 76ers come to Los Angeles on Christmas Day.

TMZ asked Johnson how James should be received at Crypto.com Arena on Dec. 25, 2026, and the former Lakers president of basketball operations didn’t hesitate.

“They should treat him great,” Johnson said.

“Of course,” Johnson replied.

Johnson was in the front office when James joined the Lakers in 2018, and he’s never been shy about giving him credit for what followed. During eight seasons in Los Angeles, James helped deliver a title in the Bubble in 2020 and put together a run that stacked up with the best of his career. He averaged 25.9 points, 7.7 rebounds, 7.9 assists, 1.2 steals, and 0.6 blocks per game over that stretch, while earning eight All-Star nods and seven All-NBA selections.

He also changed the direction of a franchise that had been drifting. The Lakers had missed the playoffs five straight years before James arrived, and Johnson said the team wasn’t winning the 2020 championship without him.

Not everyone sees it that way. Los Angeles radio host Doug McKain thinks fans should boo James for taking a pay cut to join the 76ers.

James signed a two-year, $8 million deal with Philadelphia, and McKain argued that James never gave the Lakers that kind of discount. He also said that if James had taken that deal with the Lakers and helped win titles, he would have gotten a statue.

Still, the expectation is that the crowd will lean more appreciative than hostile. There could be some boos, but a big share of the building should be there to salute what James meant to the Lakers.

Johnson has been clear about where he stands, too. After the departure, he said he would always love James and appreciated everything he did for the franchise. He also wished him well in what turned out to be his next stop, Philadelphia.

James’ move helped turn the 76ers into a loaded group. He’s now alongside Joel Embiid, Tyrese Maxey, and Jaylen Brown, and Johnson believes Philadelphia has become the biggest threat to the New York Knicks. Even so, he flagged two issues that will matter: defense and team chemistry.

“I have two big questions for Philly: one is on the defensive end, and the other is their team chemistry,” Johnson wrote. “If they answer those two… watch out!”

Johnson also noted that the 76ers have four players who are used to having the ball in their hands, which makes their offensive setup worth watching. There could be some adjustment along the way, but Johnson expects Philadelphia to be fine once the playoffs arrive.

In Other News...

Lakers Face A Costly Choice In Building Around Luka Doncic

The Lakers have spent the summer trying to thread a difficult needle, keeping enough talent in place to stay competitive while preserving the kind of financial flexibility that could matter down the road. Re-signing Austin Reaves to a four-year, $180 million deal was part of that plan, a move that signaled both his importance to the roster and the organizations interest in keeping options open as it tries to build around Luka Doni.

Doni, though, has made clear he wants a championship-caliber group put together quickly, and that urgency hangs over every major roster decision. With speculation already circling about a major free-agent chase next summer, the Lakers may eventually have to decide whether their long-term blueprint can still include Reaves if they push harder for a bigger swing. [Read more 🡒]

Lakers Ownership Shift Could Put Jeanie Buss' Role In Doubt

The Lakers ownership picture is changing again, with the Buss family set to sell its remaining 17.8% stake to new majority owners Josh Kushner and Bob Iger. The move still needs approval from the NBAs board of governors, but it would further close the long chapter of Buss family control and extend the transition already underway after Kushner and Iger bought the team from Mark Walter.

For Jeanie Buss, the deal carries a bigger question than just who holds the shares. Once the sale is completed, she would no longer meet the minimum ownership threshold required to remain team governor, putting her role in doubt even though the new owners had previously planned for her to keep that position for at least five years. [Read more 🡒]