Teoscar Hernndez Responds As Dodgers Reconsider His Role Down Stretch

Amid a challenging stretch for the Dodgers, Teoscar Hernandez candidly addresses his performance setbacks and the implications for his role in the lineup.

The Dodgers’ recent skid has put a spotlight on more than just the standings. It’s also put Teoscar Hernández’s playing time under the microscope.

Los Angeles has had a rough run against stronger competition over the last few weeks, including a series loss to the Brewers after sweeping the Royals. That sweep came after manager Dave Roberts sounded the alarm about the team’s urgency following eight losses in nine games. A setback against Kansas City would have been especially damaging for a club chasing a third straight World Series title, but the offense then reverted to the same inconsistent look in Milwaukee.

Now the Dodgers sit third among the National League division leaders, a spot that would send them into the opening wild-card round of the postseason.

Hernández is one of the players the Dodgers are counting on to clean things up before October, but the results since his return from the injured list in late June have been uneven. Since July 7, he has hit .222/.263/.352 with 30 strikeouts and six walks. The drop-off against right-handed pitching has been even steeper, with Hernández slashing .181/.234/.278 in those matchups.

“I’m just not being consistent hitting the ball,” Hernandez told The Athletic. “I’m missing a lot of pitches that I should hit."

Roberts has already started adjusting accordingly. He has pinch-hit for Hernández at times and even sat him once in favor of Alex Call. The Dodgers manager made clear that the decision is being driven by matchups and performance.

“Since he’s come back versus right just hasn’t been to his standard, our standard,” Roberts said of Hernandez. “When you’ve got Max Muncy on the bench, you’ve got Kyle Tucker on the bench, you’ve got a right-handed pitcher who’s very good versus right, I have to make the decision to go with the better matchup.”

Roberts said last week that Hernández could spend more time on the bench if he doesn’t turn it around.

Hernández has shown some signs of life since then, going 4-for-13 against the Brewers before going 0-for-4 in Monday’s series opener against the Rockies. He was out of the lineup again on Tuesday, with Alex Call getting the start.

Asked about the possibility of losing more playing time, Hernández handled it like a veteran.

“Whatever [Roberts] decides to do for the best of the team, I’m going to accept it,” Hernandez said last week. “It’s not that it’s going to be easy.

But at the same time, I understand if you have somebody else that is doing a better job against righties. For the good of the team, you have to make that decision.”

Roberts is still backing him to find his form before the stretch run.

“I still have all the confidence in Teo, and I do know that if he’s out there every day and earning those opportunities, we’re better for it," Roberts said.

In Other News...

Dodgers Prospect Depth Just Sent A Clear Message To The Rest Of MLB

MLB Pipelines latest midseason rankings put a fresh spotlight on the Dodgers farm system, and the message was hard to miss. Los Angeles moved to No. 1, a jump that speaks to more than just one hot stretch of prospect hype. It reflects a system that keeps producing, keeps replenishing, and keeps giving the organization real depth even as players get promoted, traded, or traded for big-league help.

The Dodgers rise came after adding Tarik Skubal and continuing to lean on the kind of player development that has become one of the clubs defining strengths. It also serves as a reminder that these rankings are about more than brand name or reputation. While the Tigers still have plenty of talent and even more Top 100 prospects than they did to open the season, Los Angeles has separated itself by building a pipeline that feels as sustainable as it does star-driven. [Read more 🡒]

Dodgers May Already Be Facing Early Skubal Trade Validation

The Dodgers made a big bet when they sent Zyhir Hope, River Ryan and Brady Smith to Detroit for Tarik Skubal, and the early returns have given the deal a little extra buzz. Hope, one of the headliners in the package, has stumbled at the plate since landing with the Tigers Double-A affiliate, a reminder that prospect evaluations can shift quickly once a player changes organizations and faces a new environment.

Still, it is far too soon to treat a rough first stretch as proof of anything lasting. Hope has dealt with August slumps before, and analysts around the trade have pointed out that hitters often need time to adjust after a move like this, so the Dodgers are left watching a storyline that is intriguing more for its potential than for any firm verdict right now. [Read more 🡒]

Tarik Skubals Next Deal May End One Tigers Dream

Tarik Skubals looming trip to free agency is already shaping up to be one of the biggest pitching stories of the offseason, and the Dodgers are right in the middle of it. The left-hander is projected to land a deal north of $300 million, and MLB insider Bob Nightengale has pegged Los Angeles and the New York Mets as the only clubs likely to make serious runs at him when the market opens.

For the Dodgers, that puts them in position to chase a pitcher with ace-level stuff and rare leverage, even as Skubal has left open the idea of a return to the Detroit Tigers. Still, unless Detroit can somehow come close to his asking price, that possibility looks remote, which means one of the games most intriguing pitching pursuits may come down to a bidding fight the Tigers were never built to win. [Read more 🡒]