Dodgers Suddenly Face A Justin Wrobleski Question They Didn't Want

While managing injury concerns, the Dodgers maintain confidence in Justin Wrobleski's swift return as they balance upcoming roster needs.

Justin Wrobleski is headed to the 15-day injured list, but the Dodgers don’t sound alarmed.

Los Angeles placed the left-hander on the IL Sunday because of left forearm inflammation, a diagnosis that can usually send a shiver through any clubhouse. Forearm issues often raise immediate fears about something more serious, but Dodgers manager Dave Roberts made it clear that’s not how the team views this one.

“We’re not concerned. It should be short-lived,” Roberts said. “We have guys that we’re kind of toiling with and their health dealings; a couple guys in the ‘pen, Wrobo.

“Just feeling that given his workload and where he’s at, taking some of the load off his arm, I think it’s smart. And I think with the eight-man ‘pen, we can sort of protect guys more there.

“We just felt, collectively, Justin was the right person to back off the fatigue of the arm. It’s not something he’s ever going to make an excuse for, but I do think that it’s smart for us as an organization to take that load off a little bit.”

Roberts had already signaled Saturday, after Wrobleski’s start, that a roster move was coming to get the bullpen a fresh arm. At that point, he said the Dodgers had “a few guys ailing” and had not settled on who would be moved to the IL.

The move appears to be more about rest and managing workload than a major injury. Wrobleski himself sounded encouraged after his outing Saturday, saying he felt good and was optimistic about where things were headed after working through some issues with his delivery and mechanics.

His stuff was up in that start, and he delivered a solid performance even though one mistake pitch turned into two home runs. That came after a rough stretch in which he allowed four home runs in consecutive games.

Workload is part of the picture, too. Wrobleski has already logged a career-high 126.1 innings, so the Dodgers are expected to handle him carefully from here. He’s also expected to move to the bullpen at some point before the season ends.

Even with the recent bumps, Wrobleski has put together a strong year in his first season as a full-time starter for Los Angeles. He owns a 3.56 ERA and 1.7 WAR in 20 starts, with a 19.4% strikeout rate and a 5.4% walk rate.

He was also named to his first All-Star team after putting up a 2.69 ERA across 100.1 innings in the first half.

In Other News...

Dave Roberts Just Sent A Concerning Message About The Dodgers Lineup

The Dodgers offense has spent the past several weeks looking far too ordinary for a group built to be one of baseballs most dangerous lineups, and the numbers have reflected it. Since June, Los Angeles has lagged in runs scored, slugging percentage and on-base percentage, a stretch that has left manager Dave Roberts searching for cleaner at-bats and a sharper overall approach from his club.

Roberts has pointed to a breakdown in plate discipline and focus, along with an inability to adjust as opposing pitchers have leaned more heavily on fastballs. Even with the team trying to create a greater sense of urgency, the slump has lingered, and the bigger concern is that the Dodgers still have not shown the kind of consistent offensive rhythm that usually separates their lineup from the rest of the league. [Read more 🡒]

Kyle Tucker's Dodgers Struggles Have Reached An Uncomfortable New Level

Kyle Tuckers first season-long stretch of discomfort in a Dodgers uniform has started to look bigger than a simple slump. Offensively, he has been stuck at .230, and the defensive numbers have been just as uneasy, a combination that has left his overall value in an awkward spot for a team that expected steadier production from a player of his caliber.

The recent look on the field has only sharpened the concern, with Tucker carrying a hitless run and the gloveside mistakes piling up at the worst possible time. Even the conversation around him has moved beyond patience and into possible fixes, which says plenty about how unusual this phase has become for a player the Dodgers were counting on to settle things down. [Read more 🡒]

Dodgers Are Walking A Fine Line With Shohei Ohtani Right Now

Shohei Ohtanis role with the Dodgers has already become a balancing act, and the latest twist only sharpens it. Los Angeles is treating his two-way workload with extra care after a recent stretch in which the club has made it clear it values both his pitching and his hitting, with president Andrew Friedman saying the team will keep adjusting based on how he is feeling.

Manager Dave Roberts has framed the situation as one built on communication and trust, which is part of why the Dodgers have resisted a more formal roster move. For now, the team is waiting on Ohtani to tell them when he needs a break, a setup that works fine when he is healthy and gets a lot trickier when any discomfort lingers. [Read more 🡒]