Keenan Allen Just Closed The Book On His Chargers Career

Veteran wide receiver Keenan Allen reunites with former coach Shane Steichen in Indianapolis, bringing his experience and adaptability to bolster the Colts' challenged receiving corps.

The Colts have finally given Daniel Jones the kind of steady veteran target this receiver room was missing.

Indianapolis agreed Monday to terms with Keenan Allen on a one-year deal worth up to $8.32 million, a team source confirmed to ESPN. The move brings in a proven third receiver at a time when the Colts had been stretched thin by a trade and an injury.

Allen, 34, arrives with a familiar resume and a familiar face on the sideline. He spent 12 of his 13 NFL seasons with the Chargers, and last season he lived up to the nickname “third-and-Keenan” after leading the league in third-down receptions and first downs. In 17 games for Los Angeles in 2025, he caught 81 passes for 777 yards and four touchdowns.

For Indianapolis, the need was obvious. The team traded Michael Pittman Jr. to the Pittsburgh Steelers in March, shortly after giving Alec Pierce a four-year, $114 million extension, according to the team’s official announcement. That left a clear opening behind Pierce and Josh Downs, and camp hadn’t produced a clear answer.

Pierce hasn’t practiced since ankle surgery in March and has stayed on the physically unable to perform list throughout training camp. Head coach Shane Steichen said as recently as Aug. 17 that Pierce would not return for the team’s joint practices with the Falcons, according to SI’s report on the situation.

General manager Chris Ballard has said a Week 1 return is still “the expectation,” but the Colts still haven’t set a firm date. ESPN has also reported a heel component to Pierce’s ankle issue, which only adds to the uncertainty.

Before Allen’s arrival, Ashton Dulin, Nick Westbrook-Ikhine and Laquon Treadwell were the names battling for snaps behind Downs. None of them separated enough to settle the picture. Allen changes that immediately.

The fit with Steichen is hard to miss. Steichen spent seven seasons on the Chargers’ staff from 2014 to 2020, rising from quality control assistant to offensive coordinator, and coached Allen for much of that run. ESPN reported that the two stayed in touch over the years, and Steichen had been discussing the possibility of Allen joining the Colts for months.

That kind of connection should make the transition smoother. Allen does not need a crash course in how to get open or find space against zone coverage.

He’ll mostly be picking up new terminology around concepts he already knows. The Colts used a similar path last season when they turned to 44-year-old Philip Rivers, another longtime Steichen pupil from the Chargers, to finish the year at quarterback.

Allen’s game has aged well because it has never been built on pure speed. He wins with route detail, footwork and the kind of feel for coverage that lets him settle into open space. He can line up in the slot or outside, giving Steichen options while Pierce is sidelined.

Among active players, Allen’s 1,055 career receptions trail only Travis Kelce. He also ranks second in NFL history in receptions before turning 34, behind only Larry Fitzgerald. He made five straight Pro Bowls from 2017 to 2021 and has been selected six times overall.

If Pierce is ready for the Sept. 13 opener against Baltimore, Indianapolis could line up Pierce, Downs and Allen and have answers at every level of the field. If Pierce’s return gets pushed back again, Allen becomes the most trusted veteran option Jones has right away.

Either way, the Colts now have a fallback they didn’t have before. In a complementary role, Allen could reasonably land in the range of 60-plus catches and several hundred yards, even if he is no longer the centerpiece of the offense.

In Other News...

Christian McCaffrey Drew Unexpected Attention At 49ers Joint Practice

A joint practice can blur into the usual summer routine, but Justin Herberts camp session with the 49ers had a little extra star power when Madison Beer stopped by to see her fianc. Her visit put the Chargers quarterback in the middle of one of those off-field moments that can follow a team around for a day, especially when familiar faces like Christian McCaffrey and Olivia Culpo are also in the mix. For Los Angeles, it was another reminder that Herberts profile now extends well beyond the practice field.

The attention around Beers appearances has not exactly stayed confined to the sideline, either. NFL analyst Nick Wright took aim at the visits and drew a comparison to the kind of high-visibility relationship coverage Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift have received, which only added to the online reaction. Fans weighed in as well, while Beers recent social media activity kept the conversation moving long after the joint work with San Francisco had wrapped up. [Read more 🡒]

Chargers Protection Plan For Justin Herbert Suddenly Looks Far Less Stable

The Chargers were counting on Tyler Biadasz to help steady the middle of the offensive line after bringing him in to protect Justin Herbert, but that plan took a major hit during a joint practice with the 49ers. Biadasz went down with a knee injury that immediately raised concern for Los Angeles, and the expectation now is that he will be sidelined for a significant stretch while he consults specialists and sorts out the next steps.

For a unit that has been trying to build some much-needed stability up front, losing the center is a tough setback to absorb this deep into camp. It leaves the Chargers weighing a sudden reshuffle in front of Herbert, with rookie Jake Slaughter emerging as the next man up and an important part of the conversation as the team tries to keep its protection plan from unraveling before the season even begins. [Read more 🡒]