Chargers Suddenly Have A Rashawn Slater Concern They Can't Ignore

As the Los Angeles Chargers navigate the potential setbacks to their 2026 season, all eyes are on the recovery progress of essential left tackle Rashawn Slater following his recent knee issues.

Rashawn Slater’s absence has become one of the more uneasy storylines in Chargers camp, and it’s stretching longer than the team initially expected.

The starting left tackle has now sat out five straight practices, keeping him on the sideline after a minor flare-up in his surgically repaired left knee. The issue first surfaced during a padded practice in San Diego on August 4, and while Slater briefly returned, he ended up back out again. Jim Harbaugh initially described the time away as veteran rest, but the stretch has gone well beyond that explanation.

Slater addressed the situation earlier this week and downplayed the concern. “Nothing crazy, just being thoughtful and learning,” Slater said. “I mean, you have a surgery like that, the rehab went great but things can still happen and things are different.”

The two-time Pro Bowl tackle missed the entire 2025 season after tearing his patellar tendon and undergoing surgery, so this is his first full return to football in more than a year. Slater said his knee feels strong and stable, and he’s handling things day by day with the regular season in mind.

Harbaugh has said the current problem is muscle-related, while Slater pointed out that the tweak is in the same leg that had surgery. That has left the Chargers in a cautious holding pattern with one of the most important players on their offensive line.

The timing matters, too. Los Angeles is installing a new system under offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel, and the line needs as much continuity as it can get with Justin Herbert behind it. In Slater’s absence, the Chargers have rotated younger linemen and veterans, but they still want their starters getting preseason reps together before the games start to count.

Slater has already shown he can be one of the league’s better left tackles when healthy. Right now, though, the focus is on getting him back on the field without pushing the issue. The Chargers are monitoring him closely, and the full picture on his timeline is still unfolding.

In Other News...

Chargers O-Line Scare Vs 49ers Could Change Their Week 1 Plans

A joint practice with the 49ers brought an immediate concern for the Chargers' offensive line when center Tyler Biadasz had to leave the field after taking an awkward hit to the knee. The injury interruption was the sort of camp moment teams hope to avoid, especially for a group that needs continuity up front before the season starts.

The next snap at center became an important subplot, with rookie Jake Slaughter moving into the spot after Biadasz departed. For Los Angeles, the bigger issue now is how this affects the line's depth and the team's lineup choices heading toward Week 1, since a test like this can quickly reshape the pecking order. [Read more 🡒]

Keenan Allen Just Opened A Tough New Chapter For Chargers Fans

Keenan Allen is moving on again, and for Chargers fans it lands like another familiar name leaving the picture. The veteran receiver has agreed to join the Indianapolis Colts, a move that gives him a new home after a long run in Los Angeles and gives Indy a proven option as it tries to rebuild its receiver room after trading Michael Pittman Jr. and absorbing injuries elsewhere.

The fit in Indianapolis is obvious on paper, especially with Shane Steichen now running the Colts and reconnecting with a player he already knows well from his time coaching in Los Angeles. For the Chargers, though, the ripple effect is more emotional than tactical, because Allen has been one of the most recognizable pieces of the franchise for years and his exit closes another chapter in a roster that has already changed plenty. [Read more 🡒]

Chargers Injury Concerns Just Got Worse At The Worst Time

Joint practices are supposed to sharpen a team before the regular season, but the Chargers left the field with a much more uneasy feeling after their work with the San Francisco 49ers. Quentin Johnston, starting center Tyler Biadasz and linebacker Kyle Kennard all came away hurt, turning a routine August session into another reminder of how quickly depth concerns can pile up.

Johnstons issue appears to be minor, which at least offers a little relief for a receiving group trying to build rhythm. The bigger concern was Biadasz, who went down with a left leg injury and had to be carted off, while Kennards status remains unclear as the Chargers wait for more information on how serious the latest setbacks might be. [Read more 🡒]