Chargers Left Guard Battle Is Nearing A Decision Fans Will Notice

As the Chargers' training camp wraps up, Coach Mike McDaniel sheds light on the intensifying race for the left guard position, pinpointing three standout contenders.

The Chargers’ left guard competition is narrowing, and Mike McDaniel says the field has started to sort itself out.

With training camp winding down in El Segundo, the battle up front has remained one of the team’s biggest talking points. Jim Harbaugh and McDaniel have rotated players through the spot throughout camp, but McDaniel made it clear the race is no longer as wide open as it once was.

“It's still open but things have started to take shape.”

McDaniel said there are “five guys in the competition,” but added, “And I would lose money if I bet against three of them.”

Those three appear to be Kayode Awosika, Branson Taylor and rookie Jake Slaughter. The logic is pretty straightforward: left tackle Rashawn Slater has now missed seven straight practices, which has pushed Trey Pipkins into the mix at left tackle along with Taylor and rookie Travis Burke.

Pipkins has had a tougher time at guard than at tackle, and the Chargers already showed that by signing Mekhi Becton ahead of his second season. Trevor Penning was also in the mix at one point, but he has not taken a first-team snap at the position in a while.

Taylor, in particular, has made a noticeable jump from his rookie season. He flashed in the final game in Denver last year, but during his first training camp he often looked overmatched. Now, the Chargers are encouraged by how much he has grown.

McDaniel wasn’t about to hand over the answer, though. When asked whether he would reveal the trio, he joked, “I think Coach talks (Tuesday) ... maybe if you shake those trees?” Then he added, “It's not for secrecy, but it's more a healthy competition and not counting people out until their play officially counts them out.”

Harbaugh, of course, is unlikely to spell it all out publicly. He’s expected to keep calling the battle close, even though the team is getting near a decision. McDaniel said the Chargers are looking at “9-10 more practices” while in San Diego, which suggests a starter could be named sometime next week.

McDaniel summed up the process this way: “I'm like Socrates," he said. "The only thing I know is that I know nothing.”

He also pointed out that the competition has included more players than he initially expected, though the group has now begun to shrink. In his view, every rep matters at this stage.

“Each and every rep is absolutely critical,” McDaniel said.

That urgency only grows with the Chargers just two preseason games away from Week 0, when the roster will be cut to 53 players and the focus shifts to the Arizona Cardinals. Harbaugh said quarterback Justin Herbert is expected to take reps Thursday against San Francisco and again next Thursday against the Los Angeles Rams, and the left guard picture could look different by then.

McDaniel is confident, though, that whoever wins the job will be up to the standard the team wants.

“To the credit of the group, very excited about the competition,” he said. “I do know that I'm going to be comfortable with the level of play of who that individual is.”

There’s also a separate competition unfolding at running back, and Kimani Vidal is right in the middle of it.

Vidal stepped in last season when Omarion Hampton was out for an extended stretch, piling up 643 rushing yards and four combined touchdowns as the lead back. He said the biggest part of his offseason was making sure his body was right after his rookie year.

“This year was more taking a step back at the end of the season and getting my body right and wrapping it up from there,” Vidal said.

He got a taste of McDaniel’s offense in live action last Thursday against the Houston Texans, playing 14 snaps and carrying the ball five times in the Chargers’ 27-7 win. Vidal wanted more, but he viewed it as a useful first run.

“I'm hard on myself so I was wanting more,” Vidal said. “But I think it was a good first step, good first time getting out there and good time getting your feet wet and getting back in the flow of the season.”

The backfield picture appears crowded. Hampton, a 2025 first-round pick, showed flashes as a rookie, and McDaniel’s offense should give him more chances to show what he can do.

The Chargers also brought in Keaton Mitchell in free agency, adding a speed threat with big-play potential. Vidal, though, has already shown he can handle a bigger role when needed.

“Top to bottom, the guys are legit,” Vidal said. “Everyone is here for a reason… I think all guys can contribute at some point during the season.”

In Other News...

Chargers O-Line Scare Vs 49ers Could Change Their Week 1 Plans

A joint practice with the 49ers brought an immediate concern for the Chargers' offensive line when center Tyler Biadasz had to leave the field after taking an awkward hit to the knee. The injury interruption was the sort of camp moment teams hope to avoid, especially for a group that needs continuity up front before the season starts.

The next snap at center became an important subplot, with rookie Jake Slaughter moving into the spot after Biadasz departed. For Los Angeles, the bigger issue now is how this affects the line's depth and the team's lineup choices heading toward Week 1, since a test like this can quickly reshape the pecking order. [Read more 🡒]

Keenan Allen Just Opened A Tough New Chapter For Chargers Fans

Keenan Allen is moving on again, and for Chargers fans it lands like another familiar name leaving the picture. The veteran receiver has agreed to join the Indianapolis Colts, a move that gives him a new home after a long run in Los Angeles and gives Indy a proven option as it tries to rebuild its receiver room after trading Michael Pittman Jr. and absorbing injuries elsewhere.

The fit in Indianapolis is obvious on paper, especially with Shane Steichen now running the Colts and reconnecting with a player he already knows well from his time coaching in Los Angeles. For the Chargers, though, the ripple effect is more emotional than tactical, because Allen has been one of the most recognizable pieces of the franchise for years and his exit closes another chapter in a roster that has already changed plenty. [Read more 🡒]

Chargers Injury Concerns Just Got Worse At The Worst Time

Joint practices are supposed to sharpen a team before the regular season, but the Chargers left the field with a much more uneasy feeling after their work with the San Francisco 49ers. Quentin Johnston, starting center Tyler Biadasz and linebacker Kyle Kennard all came away hurt, turning a routine August session into another reminder of how quickly depth concerns can pile up.

Johnstons issue appears to be minor, which at least offers a little relief for a receiving group trying to build rhythm. The bigger concern was Biadasz, who went down with a left leg injury and had to be carted off, while Kennards status remains unclear as the Chargers wait for more information on how serious the latest setbacks might be. [Read more 🡒]