The Las Vegas Raiders are back asking public officials for help at a stadium that opened only in 2020 and cost nearly $2 billion to build.
This time, the plan centers on $158 million in upgrades to the north entrance at Allegiant Stadium, according to Adam Schefter. The work would add a pedestrian deck, a public plaza, an event deck and transportation fixes. The Raiders want $75 million from a taxpayer-funded surplus room tax account, with private money covering the rest.
That request lands at a strange moment for a franchise that keeps climbing in value. Sportico listed the Raiders as the NFL’s ninth most valuable team earlier this month at $10.1 billion, and recent minority stake sales have pushed the club close to the $10 billion mark. Public money already covered $750 million of the stadium’s original cost, and now the team is seeking another round of support.
Raiders president Sandra Douglass Morgan presented the proposal and said the goals were realistic after conversations with design teams. Construction would begin after the current season, and the hope is to finish the project before the 2029 Super Bowl returns to Las Vegas.
The stadium has already hosted Super Bowl LVIII and continues to handle huge crowds for games and other major events. More than 20,000 fans often cross the Hacienda bridge from the Strip, and the new deck is meant to ease that movement while giving people a better place to gather.
The first discussion did not bring much resistance from Las Vegas Stadium Authority members, and a formal vote could come on September 2.
Steve Hill of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority supports the upgrade plan and said the stadium must stay world-class. The money would come from leftover room tax funds already set aside for the venue, while the Raiders would still handle day-to-day upkeep under the public-private agreement.
At six years old, Allegiant Stadium is already back in the upgrade conversation - and the debate now is how much more public support a franchise worth more than $10 billion can reasonably ask for.
In Other News...
Malik Benson Just Put His Raiders Opening Week Case In Trouble
Fernando Mendozas preseason outing against the Texans had its bright spots and its ugly ones, but for Malik Benson, the tape will mostly be remembered for the missed chances. The Raiders rookie wide receiver, who has flashed enough in training camp to generate some optimism, managed one catch for 18 yards while also putting two passes on the ground in a game where every clean rep mattered.
Benson came into the summer with a real opening to strengthen his case for regular-season snaps, especially as a late-round pick trying to carve out a role. Instead, the kind of mistakes that can linger in the minds of coaches showed up at an inopportune time, leaving his path to Week 1 looking a little less secure than it did before this preseason test. [Read more 🡒]
Raiders Fans Will Notice How Fernando Mendoza Responded To One Brutal Mistake
Fernando Mendozas preseason debut for the Raiders had the kind of jolt that can change a game in a hurry, and it came on a play he would probably like to forget. The rookie quarterback threw an interception that Houston Texans rookie linebacker Wade Woodaz turned into an 80-yard touchdown, a swing that immediately put Mendoza under a brighter spotlight as he continued working through the early stages of his NFL career.
What stood out, though, was the way Mendoza reacted after the mistake. Instead of easing up, he chased Woodaz and tried to make the tackle before the score was complete, a small but telling detail about how he handled the moment. Troy Aikman also noted on the broadcast that the play may have been the result of a miscommunication rather than a simple misread, which leaves the Raiders with a familiar preseason question - how much of a costly turnover was a quarterback mistake, and how much was just the kind of timing issue young passers have to clean up. [Read more 🡒]
Aidan OConnell May Have Just Ended A Raiders QB Debate
Aidan OConnell got the second-half chance in the Raiders preseason game against the Texans and made it count in a way that could matter long after August. He completed 15 of 24 passes for 166 yards, posted an 83.0 passer rating and even added a rushing touchdown, then capped the night by guiding Las Vegas on a 98-yard game-winning drive in a 22-20 win.
For a team still sorting out its quarterback pecking order, that kind of finish carries real weight. OConnell has been working to lock down the No. 2 job behind Kirk Cousins, and a poise-filled comeback drive in the preseason is exactly the sort of showing that can tilt a debate in his favor, even if the final call is still waiting to be made. [Read more 🡒]
