Aidan O'Connell Just Put Raiders Quarterback Plans Under The Spotlight

In a standout preseason performance, Aidan O'Connell boosts his trade appeal as he crafts a pivotal comeback win for the Raiders, sparking interest from potential NFL suitors.

Aidan O’Connell may have done more than help the Raiders erase the Texans on Thursday night. He may have given Las Vegas a reason to think his name belongs in trade conversations before roster cuts.

The third-string quarterback took over in the third quarter and helped spark a late comeback in a 22-20 preseason win over Houston. O’Connell didn’t throw a touchdown pass, but he kept the offense moving and finished the night by punching in a Tush Push score to cap the rally.

That came after a rougher opening from rookie Fernando Mendoza, who went 8-of-15 for 86 yards and threw an interception that Texans rookie fourth-rounder Wade Woodaz returned for a touchdown. Mendoza’s outing under the ESPN lights will get plenty of attention, especially because of that late throw across the middle. But O’Connell’s performance created a different kind of buzz.

Last week against the Arizona Cardinals, O’Connell barely got much of a chance after Kirk Cousins and Mendoza. He entered early in the fourth quarter and directed three scoreless drives, with two ending on turnover on downs, while going 4-of-13 for 85 yards.

Against Houston, the picture looked different. He settled in, spread the ball around to receivers who are unlikely to make the 53-man roster, and helped produce three scoring drives in the second half.

Head coach Klint Kubiak did not name a starting quarterback after the game, though Cousins did not play, so he still appears to be lined up to start the regular-season opener against the Miami Dolphins.

Mendoza remains the long-term centerpiece, the franchise player who is expected to take over the offense down the road. That leaves O’Connell in an awkward spot.

The Raiders could keep him as the No. 3 quarterback on the 53-man roster. What they probably should not do is stash him on the practice squad, where another team could sign him if he were added to that club’s active roster.

There’s a case for why O’Connell would draw attention. He has thrown for 3,922 yards, 20 touchdowns and 11 interceptions with a 62% completion rate in 21 games.

For a quarterback who has dealt with constant coaching turnover, that’s a sturdy body of work. He has also delivered some of his best football in fill-in duty against division opponents.

His peak moments have been loud ones. In Week 15 of the 2023 season, he threw a career-high four touchdown passes against the Los Angeles Chargers.

In Week 13 of the 2024 season, he posted a career-high 340 yards and two touchdowns against the Kansas City Chiefs. Both of those games came under then-interim head coach Antonio Pierce in 2023 and with interim offensive coordinators.

Still, even with that résumé, O’Connell is expected to sit behind Cousins, who signed a fully guaranteed one-year, $11.3 million deal, per Over the Cap, and Mendoza, the No. 1 pick in this year’s draft.

What Thursday may have done is remind the rest of the league that he can run a productive offense even with backup-level talent around him. That’s the kind of performance front offices notice.

According to The Athletic’s Sam Warren, "the door is open for the Raiders to move O'Connell."

O’Connell has already said he wants to be a starter. During mandatory minicamp, he told reporters exactly that.

"."

If Las Vegas decides to deal him, a fresh start could make sense for both sides. The Dolphins may want more stability behind Malik Willis after Quinn Ewers struggled in his first preseason game under a new regime, finishing 1-for-8 for 27 yards and an interception. The Falcons could also be in the market if Michael Penix Jr. is not fully cleared from offseason knee surgery.

If the Raiders move him, the return would likely be modest - a late-round pick before the August 30 roster cutdown deadline. But after Thursday night, O’Connell at least made sure his name won’t be ignored.

In Other News...

Raiders Stir Fresh Stadium Debate Just Six Years Into Vegas

Six years after Allegiant Stadium opened and quickly became one of the most visible venues in American sports and entertainment, the Raiders are already pushing for a sizable round of upgrades. The club is planning $158 million in improvements to the building that has hosted everything from Super Bowl LIV to WrestleMania 41 and 42, a sign that even in Las Vegas, the appetite for bigger, smoother and more event-friendly game-day experiences keeps growing.

The latest proposal would reshape the stadiums arrival experience with a new north entry tied to a pedestrian deck, public plaza, event deck and transportation upgrades, all aimed at making the venue easier to move around before and after major events. The financing plan is where the discussion gets interesting, though, because the Raiders want a significant public contribution alongside private dollars, setting up another round of debate over how much taxpayer-backed money should go into a stadium that is still relatively new. [Read more 🡒]

Kirk Cousins Just Sent A Clear Message About The Raiders QB Plan

Kirk Cousins arrived in Las Vegas with a pretty clear sense of the assignment, and the Raiders have been just as clear about the bigger picture. For now, he is the starter, but rookie Fernando Mendoza is widely seen as the quarterback of the future, which gives the room an unusual kind of balance: one passer handling the present while another is being developed for what comes next.

Cousins has leaned into that reality rather than fighting it, framing the situation as one where the team benefits most when the best player is on the field. The competition has been described as collaborative, with both quarterbacks working together to get better, and that kind of setup can be healthy if it stays productive. It also leaves the Raiders with a familiar but delicate question about timing, especially if Mendoza keeps pushing closer to the spot the team has already envisioned for him. [Read more 🡒]

Malik Benson Just Put His Raiders Opening Week Case In Trouble

A promising camp can only carry a rookie receiver so far, and Malik Benson took a hit in the Raiders preseason game against the Texans. Fernando Mendozas interception that turned into an 80-yard touchdown return by Wade Woodaz was the loudest mistake of the night, but Benson had his own rough moments, dropping two passes before finishing with one catch for 18 yards.

Benson has been one of the more intriguing late-round additions in Las Vegas since the Raiders made him a sixth-round pick in 2023, and his training camp showing had put him in the mix for more work once the games mattered. But preseason snaps have a way of reshaping those conversations fast, and miscues like this one can make the path to regular-season opportunities a lot less certain. [Read more 🡒]