Kentuckys Title Hopes Still Carry One Lingering Eva Hudson Question

Kentucky Volleyball's championship ambitions face a twist as Eva Hudson's potential return hangs in the balance amidst NCAA eligibility uncertainties.

No. 3 Kentucky opens the 2026 volleyball season Friday in Milwaukee with a heavyweight matchup against No. 6 Wisconsin, and for now the Wildcats are preparing to move forward with the roster they already have.

That matters because, despite the lingering chatter, Eva Hudson is still not expected to be part of Kentucky’s team this season. The former UK star, who was a finalist for National Player of the Year last year, finished her senior season with the Wildcats, signed a professional deal with LOVB Atlanta after the national championship match loss to Texas A&M, and has already played a full season with that franchise.

The new NCAA 5-in-5 rule has created uncertainty for graduated seniors seeking another year of eligibility, and that has left the door cracked open just enough for Hudson to be discussed as a possibility. But Kentucky coach Craig Skinner made clear that any path back to Lexington is extremely narrow.

“What did someone post? That I didn’t say no but I didn’t say yes either?”

Skinner said with a laugh. “That’s where I am today.

Is there a path? It’s about this big.”

Skinner repeated that message Wednesday at Kentucky’s season preview press conference, even using a thumb-and-forefinger gesture to show how slim the opening is. He still stopped short of shutting the door completely, though the expectation remains that the Wildcats will continue without her.

The bigger issue is timing. Kentucky has spent the offseason building around the roster it already had, and Hudson’s spot on the outside has been filled by Notre Dame transfer Morgan Gaerte, who is one of the team’s four National Player of the Year candidates. That gives Kentucky more than enough firepower entering a season in which it is projected to chase a 10th straight SEC title.

Still, Skinner acknowledged how much of this situation has been outside everyone’s control.

“So much is out of our control,” Skinner continued. “Some of it has to do with our team, too, and dynamics.

It’s unfortunate that players like Eva are in a situation like this. Because if that decision was made in December, there’d be nothing for people to decide.

If that decision was made in January, she wouldn’t have signed a pro contract, you know?”

For now, Kentucky’s focus shifts to the court. After Wisconsin on Friday, the Wildcats will face No.

4 Pitt on Sunday. Skinner said the program is simply working with the 17 players currently on the roster.

“We have our team right now. We’re operating with the 17 players we have on our team and we’re excited about that,” Skinner added.

“Eva loves our Wildcats and wants us to do really well. I don’t know a whole lot, to be honest with you, because nothing’s been decided.”

In Other News...

Kentucky Missed On A Key Big Man And The Pressure Just Grew

Kentuckys search for frontcourt help took a hit when Jaxon Kohler chose BYU after weighing the Wildcats along with Kansas and Louisville. The 6-foot-10 forward from American Fork, Utah, had been one of the more important names on Kentuckys board as the staff continues to look for size and versatility in the paint, and his decision leaves the Wildcats still chasing answers with the roster picture not fully settled.

The ripple effect matters because Kentuckys attention has already shifted toward Mark Mitchell, another player whose status is tied to an eligibility lawsuit and a possible move into the transfer portal if a court ruling breaks his way. It leaves the Wildcats in the familiar position of waiting on the legal side of roster building while trying to line up alternatives, with the next few decisions likely to shape just how much pressure remains on the staff to land a difference-maker inside. [Read more 🡒]

Kentuckys Newest Offer May Be More Complete Than His Ranking Suggests

Kentucky has continued casting a wide net early in the 2027 cycle, and its latest offer went to Asa Montgomery, a 6-foot-7 small forward whose rsum already looks deeper than a simple ranking snapshot. The four-star prospect has been productive on the Nike Elite Youth Champions League stage, where he led the circuit in scoring, and he also played a part in the United States FIBA Under-17 World Cup title run.

What makes Montgomery especially intriguing for the Wildcats is the way coaches describe his game. His versatility, basketball IQ and ability to use his length on both ends give him a profile that can translate in a lot of different ways, which is often what major programs value when they are identifying early targets. Kentucky is clearly seeing more than a ranking here, and it will be worth watching how much momentum this offer creates as his recruitment develops. [Read more 🡒]

Kentuckys 2022 Eligibility Fight Just Put One Wildcat In Limbo

A legal twist in the 2022 eligibility battle has left some college football players in a precarious spot, and Kentucky is directly affected. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit granted the NCAAs request for a stay in a Colorado class-action case that had briefly opened the door for 2022 players to claim a fifth year, stripping away federal protection for players who do not have temporary restraining orders from state court cases.

For Kentucky, the most immediate consequence is Alex Afaris status, which is now in limbo under the stay, while Mark Mitchells future hinges on a pending ruling from Judge Brian Edwards in a Kentucky lawsuit. Some players who already won state-level cases are still able to keep their fifth year for now, but the ones without that kind of ruling are back in uncertainty as the broader fight continues. [Read more 🡒]