Kentuckys Final Roster Spot Suddenly Has A New Frontcourt Twist

A temporary restraining order against the NCAA has created a whirlwind of transfer possibilities, unleashing a new portal window for dozens of student-athletes.

The college basketball transfer market just got another jolt, and this one reaches straight into California.

Roughly 73 student-athletes were granted a temporary restraining order against the NCAA, and that decision opens the door for the named plaintiffs to enter the portal right away. The new window is open immediately and runs through Monday, August 24.

Among the players covered are Michigan State’s Jaxon Kohler, UCLA’s Donovan Dent and Skyy Clark, and Florida’s Xaivian Lee, along with a long list of others.

The ruling says the NCAA cannot enforce transfer rules or stop players who signed a pro contract before July 31 from competing in 2026-27. In the court’s words: “Plaintiffs’ Application for a Temporary Restraining Order is GRANTED,” the ruling states. “Defendant NCAA, and its officers, agents, employees, representatives, successors, assigns, and all persons acting in concert or participation with it, are hereby temporarily restrained and enjoined from enforcing NCAA Bylaw 12.6, or any other NCAA bylaw, to preclude Plaintiffs from competing in NCAA Division I athletics during the 2026-2027 season on the basis that Plaintiffs have already competed in four seasons of competition.”

The TRO stays in place until the court says otherwise or until the judge rules on the plaintiffs’ request for a preliminary injunction.

For Kentucky fans, Kohler is the name that jumps out first. The Michigan State big man averaged 12.5 points and 8.9 rebounds this past season in 2025-26, while shooting 38.9 percent from three on 4.3 attempts per game.

He told Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports that Kentucky, BYU, Louisville and Kansas are the schools he’s weighing as he pushes ahead with his recruitment. A return to Michigan State has been ruled out.

Michigan State transfer Jaxon Kohler tells me that he’s considering the following schools and will have other conversations later today.

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisville

BYU

Kohler is pursuing a fifth year and is currently eligible following the preliminary injunction in California.

  • Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) August 18, 2026

Missouri forward Mark Mitchell is another major Kentucky target to watch, though his path is tied to a separate lawsuit in Louisville. He is one of 13 players involved there, and his side argued against the NCAA on Friday. Judge Brian Edwards then asked for more written arguments by today before a ruling on Friday.

That Kentucky case is also centered on 2026-27 eligibility, a separate portal window and relief from previously signed pro contracts, while challenging the NCAA’s ability to enforce transfer rules.

For now, fifth-year players already have eligibility for this season because of an injunction from Judge Charlotte Sweeney of the U.S. District Court of Colorado.

But that ruling does not open the door for players who were not already in the portal to enter outside the legal window. That had previously knocked Kohler and Mitchell out of Kentucky’s reach, while still leaving room for players who entered in the spring, such as Auburn’s Keyshawn Hall and Minnesota’s Cade Tyson.

This California order changes that landscape, and the Kentucky lawsuit could push it even further if it breaks the student-athletes’ way this week. Kentucky still has one roster spot to fill, and now the picture is starting to move.

In Other News...

Kentucky Mourns A Beloved Voice From Its Championship Era

Joe Dean Jr., a former Kentucky assistant coach who later became one of the most recognizable voices around SEC basketball, has died at 71. His career tied him closely to the leagues biggest stages, from the bench at Kentucky to the broadcast booth, and he remained a familiar presence for fans who followed conference hoops over the years.

Dean also spent 17 years as athletics director at Birmingham-Southern, adding another long chapter to a career built around college sports. Around the SEC, he was widely respected for his steady, upbeat approach and for the way he carried himself with colleagues and fans alike, leaving behind a reputation that matched the era in which he made his name. [Read more 🡒]

Sam Greene Could Change Kentucky's Defense If He Finally Looks Like Himself

Sam Greene has spent much of his Kentucky stint working from the sideline rather than the lineup, but the linebackers presence has still been felt inside the defense. Jay Bateman praised Greenes leadership through a recovery from a torn ACL, noting that the USC transfer has stayed involved with younger players even while his practice reps have been limited. Greene started nine games last season, and Kentucky has clearly been eager to get more of that experience back into the mix.

The next step is a meaningful one, because Greene is close to being able to practice fully again after a long rehab stretch. Bateman also sees a ceiling that goes well beyond steady veteran depth, pointing to Greenes playmaking ability in the same breath as Cashius Howell, the former SEC Defensive Player of the Year. For a defense looking for more impact pieces, Greene still has a chance to become one of the most important names on the roster if he can finally look like himself again. [Read more 🡒]

Kentuckys Final Roster Decision Could Define Mark Popes Frontcourt

Kentuckys frontcourt puzzle is still coming into focus, and the next step comes in the form of a Zoom meeting with Michigan State transfer Jaxon Kohler. The Wildcats have kept recruiting options open as Mark Pope and his staff sort through the last piece of the roster, with Kohler now in the mix after entering the transfer portal and drawing attention from a program still looking to settle its big-man plans.

The timing matters because the final call is tied to more than just fit on paper. Kohler is being weighed against Mark Mitchell for that last spot, and Mitchells situation remains unresolved while he waits on a court ruling on his eligibility. Until that picture clears up, Kentucky is left balancing immediate roster needs with the possibility that its finishing move in the frontcourt could hinge on whichever path opens first. [Read more 🡒]