Royals Force Bullpen Reset With One Trusted Arm Suddenly In Trouble

As Lucas Erceg heads to Triple-A Omaha for a reset, the Royals call upon Carlos Duran to bolster their bullpen amid a pivotal reshaping phase.

The Royals are sending Lucas Erceg to Triple-A Omaha, a move that would have sounded almost unthinkable not long ago for a reliever who once sat at the center of their late-game plans. On Tuesday, Kansas City opted for a reset, giving Erceg a chance to step away from the big-league pressure and work his way back after a rough season.

Manager Matt Quatraro made clear this is not a goodbye so much as a pause.

“We have a lot of confidence in his ability to get really good hitters out,” Quatraro said. “We’ve seen him do it.

It’s not that it’s just a hope. We’ve seen him execute it.

I think it’s just building up a little confidence and getting him on a more regular routine for a little while, so he can work on some things and hopefully get back up here and regain his form.”

Kansas City filled Erceg’s roster spot by recalling Carlos Duran, the hard-throwing righty acquired in the trade that sent Kris Bubic to the Dodgers earlier this month. Duran brings power stuff, including a nasty slider, and he made three appearances for Omaha, working three scoreless innings before the call-up.

For Erceg, 31, this is a stunning turn after the role he held entering 2026. He opened the year as the Royals’ top leverage arm, a spot he earned through a dominant 2024 after Kansas City got him from the A’s at the Trade Deadline.

That year, he posted a 2.88 ERA and helped push the Royals into the playoffs. He followed that with another solid season in 2025, finishing with a career-best 2.64 ERA even as his strikeout rate slid from 28.5% in ‘24 to 19.3.

This year has gone in the opposite direction. Erceg owns a 6.23 ERA across 47 appearances and 43 1/3 innings, along with six blown saves, a 14.9% strikeout rate and a 13.9% walk rate.

The Royals pulled him out of the closer’s job, then away from high-leverage spots, then began trying to find softer matchups for him. Nothing has really stuck.

The frustration showed on Monday, when Erceg came in for the ninth inning with a five-run lead and walked two of three batters without recording an out.

“We identified some things that he was working on,” Quatraro said. “We saw them in flashes, but the sustained success wasn’t there.

And it was, in our opinion, wearing on him. To get the reset might be the best thing for him.”

Now Erceg will head to Omaha in the coming days and pitch on a regular schedule, with a full development plan from the Royals’ pitching department. The focus will be on his delivery, his pitch shapes and how he attacks right-handed and left-handed hitters. The point is simple: get him consistent work without the nightly strain of the majors hanging over every outing.

That matters not just for this season, but for what comes next. Erceg is arbitration eligible this offseason, and the Royals are already looking ahead to 2027 as they try to reshape a bullpen that entered Tuesday ranked second-worst in MLB with a 5.24 ERA.

Some of those answers could come internally, with Duran one possibility depending on how he handles the opportunity. Others may come from outside the organization this winter.

But Kansas City knows one thing: if Erceg gets back to anything close to his old form, that changes the conversation.

“He’s worked his tail off to try to get back to the form that we all know he can do,” pitching coach Brian Sweeney said. “It’s been hard.

And it was really tough just on him because he’s worked his tail off, and he probably thinks, ‘How and why? Why did this happen?’

And it’s OK. I want him to know that.

He’s not a failure. It’s tough to hear the boos and not get the job done for your teammates.

But some of the best pitchers in the world have had tough times on the mound.

“This is a reset to go down with a plan, for [pitching coaches] Dane [Johnson] and [David Lundquist] to execute with him, to help him get back to the version that’s closer to what we saw in 2024 and early part of ‘25. It’s a hard message to hear, it’s a hard message to tell, but Lucas is a part of our future. He really is.”

In Other News...

Royals Stadium Vote Turns More Volatile After City Hall Confrontation

The Royals stadium push already had plenty of tension around it, and a Kansas City Council committee meeting on the project added another layer when the public comment period was interrupted by a confrontation over how much time speakers were getting. The scene turned from routine civic debate into a disorderly stretch that forced security to step in, with video footage showing the disruption escalating in front of council members and attendees.

Johnathan Duncan later apologized for how far things went, calling the episode unnecessary, but the larger issue hovering over the vote remains unchanged. With the stadium proposal still under scrutiny, the public meeting only underscored how emotionally charged the conversation has become, and how quickly the politics around the project can spill out of the chamber and into something far messier. [Read more 🡒]

Royals Suddenly Have One Big Lucas Erceg Problem To Figure Out

The Royals walked away from their win over the Athletics with one of those trade-deadline reminders that can linger for a while. Mason Barnett, the arm sent to Oakland in the Lucas Erceg deal, has had a rough first season, and Kansas City can already see the kind of swing-for-the-fences trade that can look a lot different a few months later than it did on paper.

Erceg remains under team control for three more seasons, which is part of why this still matters in Kansas City. The problem is that his own season has not given the Royals much clarity either, as his role in the bullpen has shifted and the club is still searching for reliable late-inning answers. For a team trying to stabilize the back end of games, the question is no longer just what they gave up for Erceg, but what kind of reliever he is going to be going forward. [Read more 🡒]

Royals Fans Get A George Brett Throwback Weekend At Kauffman

Kauffman Stadium is set for a little throwback flair this weekend, with the Royals handing out a special George Brett jersey to the first 20,000 fans for Saturdays game against the Tigers. The giveaway is tied to the 50th anniversary of Bretts first batting title, and the design leans into the franchises history with blue and gold colors, "Royalty" across the front and Bretts name and number on the back.

The celebration fits neatly into a three-game series that will also feature Major League Baseballs Players Weekend, giving Kansas City players a chance to break out specially designed bats and cleats. It is the kind of homestand that mixes nostalgia with a bit of personality, and for Royals fans, Bretts legacy remains one of the surest ways to make an ordinary August weekend feel a little more connected to the clubs past. [Read more 🡒]