The Kansas City City Council approved a $600 million funding commitment on Thursday for a downtown ballpark, moving the Royals’ stadium plan another step forward.
More details on the financing are expected to be released tomorrow before the TIF Commission meets, according to officials. After that, the City Council is expected to vote on creating a TIF district and formally issuing bonds for the stadium.
There’s still another key vote coming in September, when the council is expected to consider a related rezoning plan. That plan would set flexible standards for future redevelopment in Crown Center.
The Royals are pushing for a $1.9 billion new stadium that would serve as the centerpiece of a $3 billion entertainment district in the city’s urban core. Under the current plan, the team says it will privately cover $760 million of the project. City officials and the Royals also intend to seek state funding that could add roughly $540 million more.
City staff said construction could get underway early next year, with the stadium opening in time for the 2030 baseball season.
Not everyone sees the pace of the deal the same way. Kansas City Star columnist David Hudnall said the process is moving too fast, warning that if the projections miss, the city is on the hook.
The Royals are not guaranteeing the bonds - Kansas City is. If the taxes set aside for the stadium come up short, the city still has to pay.
Hudnall pointed to the Power & Light District as the cautionary example, noting that Kansas City has spent roughly $10 million a year on average since 2006 covering debt payments that district revenues could not handle. If that pattern repeats here, he wrote, the money would have to come from somewhere else in the city budget, meaning less for roads, parks, trash pickup, public safety, or other basic services.
In Other News...
Royals Fans Just Got A Tough Reminder About Scott Barlow
Scott Barlows return to the Royals organization has ended much the way his 2025 season has gone overall: without much momentum. After signing a minor league deal in early July, Barlow was released by Kansas Citys Triple-A affiliate following a stretch in which he continued to battle both command and velocity, the same issues that have followed him through stops with the Athletics and the Royals top farm team.
For Royals fans, it is a tough reminder of how quickly a once-trusted arm can lose his footing. Barlow still has a path back to a contender, though, since a team in the playoff race could still take a chance on him with another minor league deal before the postseason eligibility deadline. [Read more 🡒]
Royals May Regret Letting This Veteran Arm Get Away
Eli Morgans next stop is within the Yankees system, where the veteran right-hander has signed a minor league deal and will report to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. For Kansas City, it is another reminder of how quickly bullpen depth can disappear in late-season roster churn, especially when a pitcher with major league experience gets through the waiver process and reaches the open market.
Morgan elected free agency after being designated for assignment by the Royals, and New York is bringing him in as extra pitching insurance with the postseason approaching. He has already been used in the majors several times this season, which is exactly the kind of practical experience contenders tend to value this time of year, and it leaves Kansas City wondering whether it let a useful arm slip away. [Read more 🡒]
Royals Suddenly Have A New Infield Problem To Solve
Maikel Garcias latest setback gives the Royals another infield wrinkle to manage, and it comes at a time when they were already trying to keep the lineup and roster moving with as little disruption as possible. Garcia landed back on the Injured List after suffering a hamstring strain while rounding third base, a frustrating turn for a player the club had been counting on to provide stability around the infield.
Matthew Lugo was brought up from Omaha to fill Garcias roster spot, while the Royals also made a pitching shuffle by optioning Carlos Durn and recalling Jose Cuas. For a club trying to stay flexible, the moves make sense on paper, but Garcias absence leaves another question hanging over how Kansas City will piece together the infield in the near term. [Read more 🡒]
