Lucas Erceg Now Faces A Royals Bullpen Reality Check

Lucas Erceg is learning to navigate the challenges of a tough season as he works on regaining his form in Triple-A, with hopes of a return to Kansas City's bullpen.

Lucas Erceg didn’t need a long look at the Kauffman Stadium scoreboard to know where things stood. The message was right there in front of him: L. Erceg - 6.23 ERA.

“Yeah, it sucks to look at,” Erceg exclusively told The Star recently. “But, I’m here to get three outs and that’s going to be my main goal.”

That blunt honesty has followed the Royals reliever through a rough stretch that finally pushed him to Triple-A Omaha on Tuesday. Kansas City optioned the 31-year-old after he had given up five runs over his last five appearances, a skid that left him searching for answers and, in his own words, learning how to handle adversity better than he has before.

“It’s definitely weighed on me more than it has in the past,” Erceg said. “And like I said, that’s just learning to deal with adversity and becoming efficient at overcoming that adversity. That’s something I haven’t done well up until this point.”

The Royals see the move as a reset, not a goodbye. Manager Matt Quatraro said the club still believes in what Erceg can do when he’s right.

“’Reset’ is a good way to term it,” Royals manager Matt Quatraro said Tuesday. “You know, we have a lot of confidence in his ability to get really good hitters out.

We’ve seen him do it. It’s not that it’s a hope.

We’ve seen him execute it.

“And I think it’s building up a little confidence and getting him on a regular routine for a while so he can work on some things.”

Erceg had been a major piece of the bullpen, especially after All-Star closer Carlos Estévez landed on the injured list and he got the first crack at save chances. But the numbers in that role never cooperated. He carries a 6.63 ERA in save situations, and opponents have hit .297 against him.

Kansas City eventually turned to Alex Lange to close games, leaving Erceg in lower-leverage work - blowouts or games already tilted into multi-run deficits. Even then, the results never really stabilized.

“This is like the most extended period of time for me personally to go through a rough patch,” he said.

Through it all, he kept showing up, kept trying to be a good teammate and kept his pregame routine intact. But the frustration built anyway. Erceg admitted he started taking it all personally, upset that he wasn’t helping the team the way he wanted to.

“It’s not a good place to be like that,” Erceg said. “But that’s part of it.

You know, it sucks. But I feel like very seldom do players not go through that sort of thing.

The most important thing is how quickly you can bounce back.”

At first, he tried to shoulder it alone.

“You know, I kind of thought to myself, ‘I can dig myself out of this hole,’” he said. “And it doesn’t work that way.”

Eventually, he leaned on family, coaches and teammates, and one day he went to the staff looking for help getting back on track. The Royals pointed him toward a cutter, a pitch he has recently started throwing and one he believes can fit well with his four-seam fastball because it comes from a similar arm angle.

“It’s still a work in progress, but I’m feeling more and more comfortable with it every day,” he said. “And I’ve added it to the arsenal in-game.

We are just trying to fine-tune what the feeling out of the hand is. … For the most part, it’s been a decently good add to my arsenal.”

That development is part of the point of the Omaha assignment. The Royals want him building consistency, getting into a routine and expanding what he can throw. If that goes well, a return to Kansas City this season is still on the table.

“At the end of the day, this is our job and our livelihood,” he said. “The expectation is set this high and if you are not meeting those expectations, there’s plenty of other hungry young guys that are ready to take your spot.”

While Erceg headed to Nebraska, the Royals made a corresponding move by recalling right-hander Carlos Duran. Acquired in the Kris Bubic trade on Aug. 3, Duran was the central piece in the deal that sent Bubic to the two-time World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers.

“Extremely happy and excited to be here,” Duran said via an interpreter. “And I’m realizing my dream.”

Duran is known for attacking the strike zone, and Kansas City will give him a shot to prove he can stick in the bullpen. For Erceg, the task is simpler on paper and harder in practice: go to Triple-A, sort out the delivery, sort out the mind and get back to work.

“You’ve got to go out there and pitch like you deserve to be here,” he said.

In Other News...

Royals Stadium Vote Turns More Volatile After City Hall Confrontation

The Royals stadium push already had plenty of tension around it, and a Kansas City Council committee meeting on the project added another layer when the public comment period was interrupted by a confrontation over how much time speakers were getting. The scene turned from routine civic debate into a disorderly stretch that forced security to step in, with video footage showing the disruption escalating in front of council members and attendees.

Johnathan Duncan later apologized for how far things went, calling the episode unnecessary, but the larger issue hovering over the vote remains unchanged. With the stadium proposal still under scrutiny, the public meeting only underscored how emotionally charged the conversation has become, and how quickly the politics around the project can spill out of the chamber and into something far messier. [Read more 🡒]

Royals Suddenly Have One Big Lucas Erceg Problem To Figure Out

The Royals walked away from their win over the Athletics with one of those trade-deadline reminders that can linger for a while. Mason Barnett, the arm sent to Oakland in the Lucas Erceg deal, has had a rough first season, and Kansas City can already see the kind of swing-for-the-fences trade that can look a lot different a few months later than it did on paper.

Erceg remains under team control for three more seasons, which is part of why this still matters in Kansas City. The problem is that his own season has not given the Royals much clarity either, as his role in the bullpen has shifted and the club is still searching for reliable late-inning answers. For a team trying to stabilize the back end of games, the question is no longer just what they gave up for Erceg, but what kind of reliever he is going to be going forward. [Read more 🡒]

Royals Fans Get A George Brett Throwback Weekend At Kauffman

Kauffman Stadium is set for a little throwback flair this weekend, with the Royals handing out a special George Brett jersey to the first 20,000 fans for Saturdays game against the Tigers. The giveaway is tied to the 50th anniversary of Bretts first batting title, and the design leans into the franchises history with blue and gold colors, "Royalty" across the front and Bretts name and number on the back.

The celebration fits neatly into a three-game series that will also feature Major League Baseballs Players Weekend, giving Kansas City players a chance to break out specially designed bats and cleats. It is the kind of homestand that mixes nostalgia with a bit of personality, and for Royals fans, Bretts legacy remains one of the surest ways to make an ordinary August weekend feel a little more connected to the clubs past. [Read more 🡒]