Keenan Allen Just Closed The Book On His Chargers Career

Veteran wide receiver Keenan Allen reunites with former coach Shane Steichen in Indianapolis, bringing his experience and adaptability to bolster the Colts' challenged receiving corps.

The Colts have finally given Daniel Jones the kind of steady veteran target this receiver room was missing.

Indianapolis agreed Monday to terms with Keenan Allen on a one-year deal worth up to $8.32 million, a team source confirmed to ESPN. The move brings in a proven third receiver at a time when the Colts had been stretched thin by a trade and an injury.

Allen, 34, arrives with a familiar resume and a familiar face on the sideline. He spent 12 of his 13 NFL seasons with the Chargers, and last season he lived up to the nickname “third-and-Keenan” after leading the league in third-down receptions and first downs. In 17 games for Los Angeles in 2025, he caught 81 passes for 777 yards and four touchdowns.

For Indianapolis, the need was obvious. The team traded Michael Pittman Jr. to the Pittsburgh Steelers in March, shortly after giving Alec Pierce a four-year, $114 million extension, according to the team’s official announcement. That left a clear opening behind Pierce and Josh Downs, and camp hadn’t produced a clear answer.

Pierce hasn’t practiced since ankle surgery in March and has stayed on the physically unable to perform list throughout training camp. Head coach Shane Steichen said as recently as Aug. 17 that Pierce would not return for the team’s joint practices with the Falcons, according to SI’s report on the situation.

General manager Chris Ballard has said a Week 1 return is still “the expectation,” but the Colts still haven’t set a firm date. ESPN has also reported a heel component to Pierce’s ankle issue, which only adds to the uncertainty.

Before Allen’s arrival, Ashton Dulin, Nick Westbrook-Ikhine and Laquon Treadwell were the names battling for snaps behind Downs. None of them separated enough to settle the picture. Allen changes that immediately.

The fit with Steichen is hard to miss. Steichen spent seven seasons on the Chargers’ staff from 2014 to 2020, rising from quality control assistant to offensive coordinator, and coached Allen for much of that run. ESPN reported that the two stayed in touch over the years, and Steichen had been discussing the possibility of Allen joining the Colts for months.

That kind of connection should make the transition smoother. Allen does not need a crash course in how to get open or find space against zone coverage.

He’ll mostly be picking up new terminology around concepts he already knows. The Colts used a similar path last season when they turned to 44-year-old Philip Rivers, another longtime Steichen pupil from the Chargers, to finish the year at quarterback.

Allen’s game has aged well because it has never been built on pure speed. He wins with route detail, footwork and the kind of feel for coverage that lets him settle into open space. He can line up in the slot or outside, giving Steichen options while Pierce is sidelined.

Among active players, Allen’s 1,055 career receptions trail only Travis Kelce. He also ranks second in NFL history in receptions before turning 34, behind only Larry Fitzgerald. He made five straight Pro Bowls from 2017 to 2021 and has been selected six times overall.

If Pierce is ready for the Sept. 13 opener against Baltimore, Indianapolis could line up Pierce, Downs and Allen and have answers at every level of the field. If Pierce’s return gets pushed back again, Allen becomes the most trusted veteran option Jones has right away.

Either way, the Colts now have a fallback they didn’t have before. In a complementary role, Allen could reasonably land in the range of 60-plus catches and several hundred yards, even if he is no longer the centerpiece of the offense.

In Other News...

Colts Ownership Is Already Facing A Sideline Debate Fans Will Notice

Carlie Irsay-Gordon has already become one of the more visible figures around the Colts, taking over as principal owner and CEO in May 2025 after the passing of her father, Jim Irsay. With Indianapolis coming off an 8-9 finish in 2025 and working through the rest of its 2026 preseason schedule, her presence on the sideline has naturally drawn more attention than it might for a first-year owner in a steadier situation.

Jason Whitlock recently seized on that visibility, criticizing Irsay-Gordon for being on the field level during preseason action and questioning how involved she should be compared with other NFL owners. It is the kind of sideline debate that can linger when a franchise is already under a microscope, especially for a team trying to reset its footing and move beyond a middling season. [Read more 🡒]

Former Colts Pick Is Back On Fans' Radar For A Reason

Eric Johnson II is getting another NFL shot, and it has put the former Colts draft pick back into familiar conversation for Indianapolis fans who remember his arrival in 2022. The defensive tackle has already made the rounds in the league, spending time with the Colts, Patriots and Vikings, and now he is headed to Atlanta after the Falcons signed him for a summer competition on the defensive line.

For Colts followers, the name carries a little more weight because Johnson was part of that fifth-round class and once fit into the teams long-term development plans. He will also have a familiar face on the other side of the building, reuniting with former defensive line coach Nate Ollie as he tries to carve out a roster spot with the Falcons. [Read more 🡒]

Kenny Moores Colts Exit Is Looking Riskier By The Day

Kenny Moore IIs split with the Colts has settled into an uneasy holding pattern, and it has only sharpened the sense that Indianapolis has already moved on. Moore asked for a trade and then a release after his playing time dwindled in Lou Anarumos system, a sign that the veteran corner no longer saw a clear fit in a defense that has leaned younger at his position.

Justin Walley has been one of the names benefiting from that shift, drawing attention in training camp and looking like the player the Colts are lining up to replace Moore. For Moore, the next step has been less certain, as he remains unsigned and is working out locally to stay ready while he waits for the right opportunity to open up. [Read more 🡒]