The Indianapolis Colts may be in the middle of preseason work, but their latest move had nothing to do with the scoreboard.
Along with the Indiana Pacers, Indiana Fever and Noblesville Boom, the Colts announced a $250,000 donation to the American Red Cross to aid flood relief efforts in Central Indiana, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. The money is meant to help people dealing with the damage left behind by severe flooding that has hit the state in recent days.
Heavy rain has caused deep flooding across parts of Indiana, leaving at least seven casualties and thousands of damaged properties. Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett described it as the city’s “most severe flooding” in three decades.
While water levels have gone down in several counties, plenty of residents still need help. President Donald Trump has approved an emergency declaration for Indiana, which allows the Federal Emergency Management Agency to step in.
Colts co-owner Kalen Jackson said the impact of the flooding hit close to home.
“It is emotional to see some of the pictures and videos of places I went to as a kid, where I was just a couple of weeks ago,” said Jackson.
“I was in Conner Prairie earlier this week. Today, I was at the Fashion Mall, and seeing you can't even drive on those roads and seeing it's still, in fact, sloshing around there. I have friends who live in areas that have been affected, so this is a very personal thing.”
The donation will go directly to the American Red Cross.
On the field, the Colts tied the New England Patriots in their preseason game Thursday and are set to continue preseason play Saturday against the Atlanta Falcons.
In Other News...
Tyrese Haliburton Shared The Trade-Day Moment That Changed Indiana
Tyrese Haliburtons path to Indiana began with one of those career-defining phone calls that players never quite forget. He arrived from Sacramento in the deal that sent Domantas Sabonis the other way, and in the years since, the Pacers have been waiting on the version of Haliburton that can steer a team with pace, creativity and control. Last season only sharpened that anticipation, because he spent the entire year recovering from the Achilles injury he suffered two seasons ago.
Indiana felt the difference without him. The Pacers struggled to find the same rhythm in his absence, and now the outlook is more encouraging with Haliburton healthy again and Ivica Zubac added to the mix. What makes the story linger is the trade-day moment Haliburton recently revisited, a detail that helps explain how abruptly Indianas direction changed and why the Pacers still view that move as the point where everything started to shift. [Read more 🡒]
Pacers Finally Lock In Braden Smith After Long Summer Wait
Braden Smiths long summer wait finally ended when the Pacers officially signed the Purdue point guard to a two-way contract, bringing him into the organization after using the No. 38 pick on him in the draft. Indiana got Smith by dealing Kam Jones and pick swaps to the Bulls, and the move now gives the former Boilermaker a clear NBA landing spot as he tries to turn that draft-night value into a role with the franchise.
To make room, the Pacers waived Ethan Thompson, who has signed overseas, and that left Indiana with its three two-way contracts set for the 2026-27 season. Smith joins Kobe Brown and Jalen Slawson in that group, giving the Pacers a little more depth and some developmental options as they continue sorting out the back end of the roster. [Read more 🡒]
