Bret Bielema’s latest roster move at Illinois has run straight into the legal mess surrounding fifth-year eligibility.
The Illini coach said this past week that tight end Peyton Smith and wide receiver Josh Lorick had been added through the federal injunction tied to Class of 2022 athletes, a ruling that had opened the door for some players to return for a fifth season if they had not signed a pro contract. But that picture changed again on Friday, when news broke that the group as a whole is no longer eligible after a stay was granted on the injunction from the Colorado federal court case.
That means Smith and Lorick are back in limbo for now. Lorick has already been working with Illinois for a few practices, and Smith had been set to start on Friday, but both situations are now on hold while the lawsuits keep moving.
The stay only affects players who are relying on that broader federal ruling. Athletes who were directly named in individual lawsuits can still hold onto their fifth year, including players in the Louisiana court case this week that granted a temporary restraining order to 16 players who signed NFL contracts this offseason. Illinois’ two newcomers were not part of that group, and they also were not named in individual cases like former Florida State quarterback Thomas Castellanos, who was recently granted a fifth year through a temporary injunction.
Bielema said the additions were meant to shore up depth at wide receiver and tight end, especially after injuries hit both spots. For now, though, those plans are frozen.
The legal uncertainty could still shift again. The stay is pending appeal, and Smith and Lorick could pursue their own lawsuits or join another case.
Bielema also mentioned the possibility of adding other former Illinois players who used up their four years after last season, including wide receiver Hank Beatty and Melvin Priestly, both of whom are in NFL training camps with the Titans and Lions. Those plans, too, are now waiting on the courts.
In Other News...
Illinois Just Addressed A Tight End Problem Fans Were Watching
Illinois got a little more help at a position that had been thinned out by offseason injuries, with Bret Bielema announcing that fifth-year transfer Peyton Smith from the University of San Diego has joined the program. The tight end will wear No. 40 and arrives as an experienced option in a room that needed another body, giving Illinois some relief as it continues through preseason work.
Bielema also said there could still be more movement to come, depending on eligibility decisions tied to ongoing litigation. For a team trying to shore up depth while keeping an eye on what the legal process might open up, Smiths arrival feels like one piece of a larger roster picture that is still not fully settled. [Read more 🡒]
Illinois Recruiting Momentum Just Reached Another Level Under Brad Underwood
Brad Underwoods recent run on the recruiting trail keeps giving Illinois a stronger case to sell. The latest sign came when five-star small forward Moussa Kamissoko scheduled an official visit with the Illini, giving Underwood his fourth official visit from a top-tier prospect in the 2027 class. For a program that just reached the Final Four without leaning on five-star talent, it is another reminder that Illinois is trying to turn on-court success into a deeper pipeline for the seasons ahead.
Kamissokos visit will be part of a busy senior-year itinerary, with nine official stops planned and several major programs in the mix. That kind of competition is the backdrop for what Underwood is building in Champaign, where the goal is no longer just to land one headline name but to stack high-end talent across multiple classes. Illinois has already shown it can win big without that level of recruit, and now it is pushing to see how much higher the ceiling gets if those players start choosing it too. [Read more 🡒]
Illinois Has One All-Decade Snub Fans Will Want To Argue About
Pro Football Focus rolled out its All-Decade Big Ten Team covering the span since 2016, and Illinois landed two familiar names on the list in Devon Witherspoon and Kendrick Green. It is a solid nod to a program that has pushed more talent into the league in recent years, but it also left room for debate, especially when you look at how much impact the Illini have gotten from the defensive front.
JerZhan Newton is the obvious omission fans will circle back to, because his production and game-wrecking presence made a strong case against some of the players who did make the cut. His stock has only gotten more complicated after Washington Commanders coach Dan Quinn said Newton is expected to miss significant time following surgery for a torn pec, a setback that adds a new layer to a player Illinois supporters already felt belonged in the conversation. [Read more 🡒]
