Illinois Just Addressed A Tight End Problem Fans Were Watching

Illinois shores up its tight end roster with experienced transfer Peyton Smith, as injuries prompt strategic additions.

Illinois added another experienced body to its tight end room on Thursday, bringing in fifth-year San Diego transfer Peyton Smith as the latest roster move for Bret Bielema’s team.

Bielema announced the addition, and Smith - a 6-foot-5, 250-pound native of Rocklin, Calif. - will wear No. 40 for the Illini.

Smith arrives with a solid résumé from his time with the Toreros. Across four seasons, he put up 47 catches for 386 yards and three touchdowns. He was also recognized with All-Pioneer Football League honorable mention honors in each of the last three seasons.

The production numbers are one thing, but Illinois is also getting a player with a decent track record in the trenches. Smith posted a 74.0 overall PFF grade last season on 457 snaps, along with a 75.0 pass-blocking grade and a 67.1 run-blocking grade. In 2024, he played 521 snaps and earned a 62.0 overall PFF grade, including a 67.9 pass-blocking grade and a 67.6 run-blocking grade.

The fit in Champaign is pretty clear. Illinois has lost three tight ends to season-ending injuries this offseason - junior Tanner Hollinger, sophomore Grant Smith and sophomore BJ Thurman - and that’s left the room thin behind the veterans.

Christian Abney is the likely starter, with Kaden Feagin and Davin Stoffel also in the mix. Freshman Will Vala has also drawn praise from the staff and is expected to get some opportunities.

Smith is the second fifth-year transfer Illinois has added this month. Last week, the Illini also brought in Incarnate Word wide receiver Josh Lorick.

Bielema said Smith joined the program last week and is set to take the field quickly. "Peyton Smith is a tight end from the University of San Diego who joined us last week.

He'll have his first practice tomorrow in shells … so he'll be out there tomorrow. After BJ got hurt, we kind of thought if we could add someone else in that room with experience and maturity, and he played a lot of football there at San Diego.

Initial thoughts on him have been very, very positive. Excited to get him in the building."

Illinois may not be done looking around. Bielema said the program still has "a couple roster spots available to me that if something were to present itself, but right now, it's just a wait and see." He added that he’s had "preliminary conversations" with players who could gain eligibility, "but we'll kind of put everything on hold until that becomes a reality."

Bielema also told Illini Inquirer’s Joey Wagner that offensive line and wide receiver are two areas the staff could still target. He said Hank Beatty, now with the Tennessee Titans, and Melvin Priestly, with the Detroit Lions, would "make the most sense" to bring back if ongoing litigation opens that door, since both already know Illinois’ system.

In Other News...

Illinois Camp Is Revealing A New Leadership Core And Key Starter

Illinois footballs training camp stayed behind closed doors for a second straight day, with a scrimmage set for Wednesday night and a media session coming Thursday featuring Bret Bielema and a few players. Even without the public view, the camp has already started to clarify where the program is heading, and the most immediate sign is a new leadership group built from six first-time captains: Aidan Laughery, Collin Dixon, Katin Houser, Jake Renfro, Matthew Bailey and Xavier Scott.

Another notable development is along the defensive front, where Darrell Prater has settled in quickly after transferring from Jacksonville State. Praters fit has been strong enough that he is now positioned to start at nose tackle in Illinois new defensive scheme, a meaningful early indicator for a unit still sorting out roles and responsibilities as camp pushes into its more revealing stages. [Read more 🡒]

Illinois Fans Just Got A Tough Jer'zhan Newton NFL Update

Jer'Zhan Newtons first season in the NFL has hit an early snag, and it is one Illinois fans will be keeping an eye on. The former Fighting Illini standout, drafted by Washington in 2024, has had surgery for a torn pectoral muscle, a setback that comes with plenty of uncertainty as the Commanders try to sort out their defensive line plans.

For Washington, the immediate issue is replacing a young interior presence while Newton works through rehab and the medical staff watches how he responds over time. For Illinois supporters, it is a reminder of how quickly a promising pro career can be tested, even before it has a chance to settle in. [Read more 🡒]

Illinois Just Entered The Race For Another Elite Five-Star Big

Brad Underwood and Illinois have jumped into the mix for another elite frontcourt prospect, extending a scholarship offer to Bentley Lusakueno, a 6-foot-10 power forward from Woodward Academy in Georgia. Ranked No. 6 in the class of 2028, Lusakueno already has a growing list of high-level suitors, with Tennessee, Oregon and Miami among the programs that have come in with offers as well.

For Illinois, the move fits a familiar recruiting pattern under Underwood, who has built around size and versatility in the paint. The Illini are also in pursuit of Dylan Betts, the 7-foot-3 big man in that same class, which underscores just how aggressively they are attacking the next wave of elite interior talent. [Read more 🡒]