Jonathan Kuminga's Latest Snub Changes How Warriors Fans See His Exit

The Atlanta Hawks' surprising lowball offer to Jonathan Kuminga after his standout playoff performance has left NBA analysts questioning their long-term plans and player valuation strategies.

The Atlanta Hawks’ handling of Jonathan Kuminga has taken a sharp turn from ambitious to baffling.

What started as a move that seemed to point toward a bigger role for the 23-year-old forward now looks a lot different. According to Brett Siegel of ClutchPoints on Tuesday, Atlanta declined Kuminga’s $24.3 million team option, pushing him into unrestricted free agency, and then was only prepared to bring him back on a minimum contract.

That’s a hard left turn for a player who logged 26 minutes a game in Atlanta’s first-round series loss to the eventual NBA champion New York Knicks. Kuminga also played a major part in the Hawks’ upset one-point wins in Games 2 and 3, which made the minimum-level offer even more surprising.

Siegel reported, "The Atlanta Hawks were said to be open to bringing Kuminga back on a minimum deal, but that ship has sailed since adding Aaron Wiggins and Lu Dort in trades with the OKC Thunder."

The Hawks’ approach is especially notable because Onsi Saleh, now Atlanta’s President of Basketball Operations, previously worked for the Warriors during Kuminga’s early NBA years. That connection helped set up the February trade that sent Kuminga and Buddy Hield to Atlanta while Kristaps Porzingis went to Golden State.

At the time, the deal suggested Atlanta had a clear plan for Kuminga. The post-trade messaging pointed to his upside and to a fit with the franchise’s timeline. Instead, the minimum offer suggests one of three things: the Hawks never truly saw him as part of their long-term picture, misread what he could bring, or were mainly looking to move on from Porzingis after his 17 games with the team.

However it’s sliced, the result is odd.

Plenty of people were critical of the Warriors’ contract talks with Kuminga last year, but the market has shifted enough to make Golden State’s offers look a lot more reasonable in hindsight. Less than 12 months later, Atlanta’s willingness to value him at the minimum says plenty about where his stock stands right now.

Kuminga is still seeking a deal close to $20 million per year, but if his most recent team is this low on him, it’s difficult to see another club stepping in with that kind of number.

In Other News...

Warriors May Be Adding Another Player To Fight For A Roster Spot

Stephen Curry taking in a Golden State Valkyries game alongside Dalen Terry was a small detail, but around the Warriors it read like more than a casual appearance. Terry, who was waived by the Philadelphia 76ers earlier this offseason, appears likely to be the next body brought into Golden States preseason mix as the team keeps shaping its training camp group.

Nothing is official yet, and the Warriors still have not announced Terrys addition. Even so, the move would fit the usual late-summer template for a team sorting through fringe roster options, with Terry expected to compete for a spot rather than arrive with any assurances. [Read more 🡒]

Warriors Dynasty Slide Keeps Coming Back To One Costly Wiseman Bet

The Warriors post-title drift keeps circling back to the same decision, and it starts with the night they used the No. 2 overall pick on James Wiseman in 2020. Golden State was coming off another championship-caliber run and betting on a teenager with only a sliver of college experience, hoping his size and upside could eventually fit alongside Stephen Currys timeline. Instead, the pick became a long-running test of patience as Wisemans rookie season was interrupted by injury and uneven play, then the organization held onto him even as trade possibilities came and went.

By the time the Warriors lifted the trophy in 2022, Wiseman was not part of the rotation, and the broader question around the pick had only grown sharper. His second season never became the clean reset the team needed, leaving Golden State to wonder what it had actually bought with such a high selection and whether the franchise spent too long waiting for the promise to catch up to the reality. [Read more 🡒]

Steve Kerrs Warriors Goodbye Suddenly Feels Like The Start Of Something Painful

Steve Kerrs new two-year extension should have settled at least one lingering question for the Warriors, and in the short term it did. After a stretch of uncertainty about his future, the head coach is back under contract and the franchise can move forward with the same man who helped guide the run that defined an era in Golden State. But around the edges of that stability, the bigger conversation has only gotten louder, because every season now feels like it could say something definitive about where this core is headed next.

Draymond Greens one-year deal only adds to the sense that the floor is not as fixed as it once was. If the Warriors stumble this season, the roster questions could turn from theoretical to urgent, and the most familiar names on the team would suddenly be part of a much colder calculation. For a franchise that has lived so long with continuity, the unsettling part is not just that change is possible, but that it now feels closer than it did a year ago. [Read more 🡒]