Former BC Quarterback Suddenly Has One More Twist In His Career

As Texas Tech welcomes a seasoned quarterback talent capable of recreating past upsets, the stage is set for an intriguing shuffle in college football dynamics.

Former Florida State quarterback Thomas Castellanos is on track to end up at Texas Tech after a federal ruling opened the door for him to enter the transfer portal and play a fifth season.

A source involved in the discussions said Friday that Castellanos is expected to land with the Red Raiders, who were left searching for help at quarterback after their original portal addition, Cincinnati’s Brendan Sorsby, entered treatment for a gambling addiction and later departed the program.

If Castellanos does arrive in Lubbock, he would likely start out behind junior Will Hammond. Hammond made two starts last season, but he is coming off an ACL injury.

Castellanos, a dual-threat quarterback who has played at UCF in 2022, Boston College in 2023-24 and Florida State in 2025, has put together a sizable body of work across 38 career games. He has thrown for 6,449 yards, 48 touchdowns and 28 interceptions, while also rushing for 1,984 yards and 24 touchdowns. Last season, he was rated the nation’s 43rd-best passer at 143.5.

His time at Florida State included one of the biggest early-season shocks of 2025. During the opening weekend, Castellanos helped lead the Seminoles to a 31-17 upset of then-No.

8 Alabama. He then moved to capitalize on the moment by trademarking merchandise tied to the win, but the season quickly went sideways for Florida State, which finished 5-7.

The legal path that made this possible has been winding. The NCAA recently adopted a new eligibility model that gives athletes five seasons over five years, starting no later than age 19, but that rule does not apply retroactively to players who entered college in 2022 and already used four seasons under the old system.

That changed, at least for now, when a federal judge in Colorado granted an injunction July 31 in the Wisne v. NCAA case.

The ruling allows most athletes from the high school class of 2022 who had already exhausted their careers to return for a fifth season. The NCAA has appealed.

Even so, that injunction did not create a fresh transfer portal window, which meant players were still limited to returning to their original schools. Castellanos was among 13 football and basketball players who then filed a separate lawsuit in Kentucky asking for immediate access to the portal. In his filing, Castellanos said he could not go back to Florida State because the Seminoles did not have room for him after signing Auburn’s Ashton Daniels last winter.

Jefferson County Circuit Judge Brian Edwards heard the case Aug. 13 and issued his ruling Friday.

The group of plaintiffs also includes Louisville linebacker D’Angelo Hutchinson, who was the team’s second-leading tackler last season; Kentucky basketball target Mark Mitchell, an All-SEC player who last played at Missouri; and former Louisville guard Skyy Clark, who recently committed to LSU.

In Other News...

Florida State Suddenly Has A Late Answer To Its CB Depth Issue

Florida States cornerback picture has gotten a little more complicated, and maybe a little more interesting, as the NCAAs new five-in-five eligibility rule continues to draw legal pushback. Class of 2022 athletes have been excluded under the policy, but temporary restraining orders in Colorado and Louisiana have reopened the door for some of those players to regain college eligibility and, in some cases, access the transfer portal.

For the Seminoles, that matters because roster decisions at defensive back are still in flux, and the pool of possible options could expand in a hurry if more players become eligible again. Florida State has been operating with uncertainty at corner, and this latest legal wrinkle adds another layer to what had already been a position group worth watching closely as the season approaches. [Read more 🡒]

Florida State Leaves Camp Feeling Better But One Defensive Loss Looms

Florida State is heading out of fall camp in a better place physically than it was a few weeks ago, and Mike Norvell sounded encouraged by the way several players have worked back into the mix. Nehemiah Chandler, Quintrevion Wisner, Mikai Gbayor, Jayvan Boggs and Andr Otto have either returned to practice or moved ahead of schedule in their recoveries, giving the Seminoles a healthier look as they turn toward the season. Norvell said the overall health of the roster is in a good spot, which is exactly what a team wants to hear coming out of camp.

Still, the picture is not entirely clean. Florida State also took a hit with Karson Hobbs, whose injury leaves a noticeable hole on the defensive side, and the way the Seminoles absorb that loss will be part of the early-season story. Even with the encouraging updates elsewhere, the defensive depth chart will now have to adjust to one less option, and that is the kind of camp development that can linger long after the pads come off. [Read more 🡒]

Desirrio Riles Could Be Exactly What FSUs Offense Needs

Desirrio Riles arrived in Tallahassee with a background that already makes him stand out in Florida States offense. A former University Christian and East Carolina player, he changed positions from quarterback to tight end in college and now looks set to open the year as the Seminoles starter at that spot, bringing a skill set that can help in more than one way.

For Mike Norvell, the appeal is obvious. Riles has shown he can contribute as both a receiver and a blocker, and that kind of versatility gives Florida State another layer to work with in the middle of the field and in the run game. If he settles in quickly, he could become the kind of dependable presence the Seminoles have been looking for. [Read more 🡒]