Dak Prescott Gets Pulled Back Into The Playoff Debate Again

The debate over postseason performance heats up as Cowboys insider questions if accomplishments without playoff wins hold equal weight for quarterbacks like Dak Prescott and Justin Herbert.

Justin Herbert’s playoff résumé is still missing the one thing that changes the conversation: a win. He has taken the Los Angeles Chargers to the postseason three times since arriving in 2020, and all three trips have ended with him still looking for that first playoff victory. That reality did not stop Dan Orlovsky from going to bat for him on Monday.

On “First Take,” the former NFL quarterback made it clear he thinks Herbert’s value goes beyond the 0-3 postseason mark.

"I understand that people like to dunk on the Chargers," Orlovsky said Monday on 'First Take.' "But this team did go to the playoffs last year. ...

They were absolutely decimated by injuries, still found a way. Everyone who hates on Justin Herbert, there's some validity to that he has not played his best ball in the playoffs, we can say that about a couple of other quarterbacks as well.

"But, he still got them there while being decimated by injuries. Maybe he hasn't been Patrick Mahomes. but he's still a freaking awesome player."

That defense didn’t sit well with Cowboys insider Clarence Hill Jr., who immediately dragged Dak Prescott into the debate on social media.

"Lol, does that count. Asking for Dak Prescott," Hill tweeted.

Prescott’s postseason track record has also been under the microscope in Dallas. The Cowboys last reached the playoffs in 2023, when they were knocked out by the Packers in a wild-card game.

Since Prescott arrived in 2016, he has made five playoff appearances, but Dallas still hasn’t made it back to the Super Bowl for the first time since winning Super Bowl XXX. Last season, the Cowboys missed the postseason entirely after finishing second in the NFC East at 7-9-1.

While Herbert’s playoff record remains a talking point, the Chargers are also trying to get him comfortable in a new offense. The team brought in former Miami Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel as offensive coordinator in January, replacing Greg Roman after two seasons.

McDaniel spoke Monday about Herbert’s adjustment and sounded encouraged by what he’s seen so far.

"I can't say enough positive things," McDaniel said. "I'm trying to get him to make a decision early in the drop. ...

Every practice there's something new we're trying to work on that he's trying to get done. He's been everything I'd hoped and more."

The Chargers open their season against the Arizona Cardinals on Sept. 13. Before that, they handled the Houston Texans 27-7 in their first preseason game on Saturday.

In Other News...

Cowboys Camp Battle At Left Tackle Just Got More Interesting

Training camp is already giving the Cowboys a clearer picture of how they want to sort out the left side of their offensive line, and rookie Shelton has become part of that conversation. The fourth-round pick from the 2026 NFL Draft has been working with the second-team unit at left tackle, a sign that Dallas is taking a closer look at his versatility while it continues to mix and match pieces up front.

Shelton is hardly the only lineman getting reps in a moving competition. Nate Thomas, Trevor Keegan, TJ Bass and Nick Leverett have all been cycling through different spots as the Cowboys try to find the right combinations in practice. The left tackle picture remains fluid for now, which is exactly what makes this stretch of camp worth watching. [Read more 🡒]

DeMarcus Lawrence Faced One More Career Decision After Finally Winning It All

DeMarcus Lawrence finally reached the top of the sport in the 2025 season, winning his first Super Bowl ring with the Seattle Seahawks after 11 years with the Dallas Cowboys. After a long run in Dallas, the championship gave him the kind of ending so many players spend their entire careers chasing, and for a moment it looked like he might walk away from football with that feeling still fresh.

Instead, Lawrence chose to give the game one more year, a decision shaped in part by his family situation and the support around him. What makes the next chapter especially notable is that it is already set to be his final one, leaving one last season for a veteran pass rusher who spent years grinding for a title and now gets a closing act on his own terms. [Read more 🡒]

Cowboys Suddenly Have A Tackle Problem They Cant Ignore

After the Cowboys first preseason game, the most uneasy feeling in the building is back at offensive tackle, where the depth chart already looks thinner than anyone would like this time of year. Nate Thomas had a rough opening stretch, and Drew Shelton, the recent draft pick getting his first look, was part of the same problem as Dallas tried to sort through a position group that suddenly feels too vulnerable for comfort.

The Cowboys have a little time to fix it, but not much, and the rest of the preseason will be watched closely for help both inside the building and beyond it. If the current options keep flashing the same issues, Dallas may have to lean on waivers or explore trade possibilities before the regular season starts, because this is the kind of problem that can snowball quickly once the games count. [Read more 🡒]