Guardians First Base Problem May Have A New Internal Answer

Promising newcomer Ralphy Velazquez is making waves in Triple-A, offering the Cleveland Guardians hope for an answer at first base amidst a challenging season.

The Guardians’ first-base mess has been one of the season’s lingering headaches, but there’s finally some reason to think the answer might already be in the system.

Chris Antonetti says Ralphy Velazquez is beginning to heat up at Triple-A, and that’s exactly the kind of development Cleveland has been waiting for. The Guardians executive pointed to the usual adjustment period that comes with a new level, then said the 21-year-old is now settling in and producing.

“Oftentimes when [Ralphy Velazquez] gets to a new level, there’s a period of transition and then once he settles in, he kind of takes off. I think we’ve seen that play out over the last couple of weeks,” Antonetti said.

“He’s made a lot of progress. It’s been really fun to see.”

That matters because Cleveland spent the trade deadline trying to patch the position, bringing in Nathaniel Lowe from the Cincinnati Reds. The move pushed Kyle Manzardo down to the minors after a season that never matched the promise of his 27-homer breakout last year. Rhys Hoskins, signed late in spring training as insurance, has also had a rough year.

Velazquez, though, is making his case. MLB.com has him ranked as the organization’s No. 2 prospect, behind Angel Genao, the infielder who made his MLB debut earlier this month. The first-round pick in the 2023 MLB Draft opened the year at Double-A Akron before moving up to Columbus in mid-May.

Since arriving at Triple-A, he has put together a .264/.348/.494 slash line with 14 home runs and 38 RBIs in 63 games. His August has been even louder: a .341 average and .886 slugging percentage with eight homers in 44 at-bats.

The numbers at first base tell the rest of the story. Manzardo has hit .214/.314/.429 with two home runs in eight games since being sent down, after posting a .215/.306/.378 line with 13 homers in 102 games for Cleveland. Hoskins has struggled too, sitting at .178/.307/.378 with 13 homers in 94 games.

There’s a real chance Velazquez gets a look when rosters expand on Sept. 1. If that happens, he would almost certainly step right into the lineup as the Guardians try to keep pace in the AL Central and the wild-card race.

In Other News...

Former Guardians Infielder Gabriel Arias Is Back In Limbo Again

Gabriel Arias is back in roster purgatory after the Mets designated the infielder for assignment and moved Christopher Morel onto their 40-man roster from Triple-A Syracuse. Arias had barely settled in after being claimed off waivers from the Guardians, appearing in just two games for New York, and the latest move only adds to a career that has already seen him struggle to find offensive footing in the majors.

Because Arias is out of minor league options, the next step is not especially simple, and that is what makes this another tense pause in his career. Another club could decide to take a chance on him, and if he gets through waivers, the Mets would still have the ability to keep him in the organization by sending him to Syracuse. [Read more 🡒]

Guardians Fans Have A New Reason To Revisit The Patrick Bailey Trade

The trade that sent Matt Wilkinson from Cleveland to San Francisco earlier this season is suddenly looking a little more relevant on the baseball calendar. The left-hander has continued working his way through the Giants system, and he has now put himself on the verge of the majors, giving Guardians fans a fresh reason to keep one eye on what comes next for the deal.

San Francisco is expected to bring Wilkinson up soon, though the club has not yet said whether hell be used as a starter or out of the bullpen. His first big-league appearance could come quickly, and the timing adds an extra layer for Cleveland followers who are still tracking how the Patrick Bailey trade tree is unfolding. [Read more 🡒]