Guardians Face New Gambling Trouble Despite Last Seasons Stunning Turnaround

As spring training looms, the Guardians preparations are overshadowed by deepening gambling allegations that threaten to unravel last seasons hard-fought success.

Guardians Enter Spring Training Under Cloud of Betting Scandal as Clase Faces New Indictment

CLEVELAND - The Guardians pulled off one of the most improbable division titles in recent memory last season, rallying from adversity and distraction to clinch the AL Central on the final day. But as spring training opens, the storyline isn’t about momentum or roster battles - it’s about the looming legal shadow of two pitchers once central to the club’s bullpen: Emmanuel Clase and Luis Ortiz.

Last summer, Major League Baseball placed both pitchers on non-disciplinary leave as investigations into a federal betting scandal began to surface. At the time, the full scope of the allegations wasn’t yet public. The Guardians, to their credit, kept their heads down and played through it - ultimately staging the biggest comeback in MLB history to win their division.

But now, the shadow has caught up.

A Postseason Bombshell

The most recent twist in the case came Friday, when federal prosecutors unsealed a new indictment charging Clase with throwing a fixed pitch during the Guardians’ 2024 ALDS matchup against Detroit on October 5. According to FBI testimony, that pitch - allegedly thrown at under 99.45 mph - allowed bettors to cash in $4,000. It marked the first time prosecutors have alleged that one of the rigged pitches occurred in a postseason game.

That’s a critical development. While previous indictments accused Clase of manipulating pitches between 2023 and 2025, this latest charge elevates the seriousness by placing the alleged misconduct on the playoff stage - a spotlight moment where every pitch carries weight.

Ironically, the Guardians dominated that game, shutting out the Tigers 7-0. Clase pitched a clean ninth inning. But prosecutors claim that even within that scoreless frame, a single pitch was manipulated - and that was enough for those in the know to profit.

Clase’s Dominant Season, and Stark Postseason Contrast

The allegations cast a long shadow over what had been a historic regular season for Clase. He posted a 0.61 ERA with 47 saves in 50 chances - numbers that would’ve put him in the conversation for one of the best relief seasons in league history. The Guardians went 66-8 in games he appeared in, a staggering win percentage when Clase took the mound.

But the postseason told a different story. Clase allowed eight earned runs in just eight innings, ballooning his ERA to 9.00.

He gave up 12 hits - more than twice as many as he allowed over 74 1/3 innings during the regular season. In hindsight, those struggles now carry a different weight, with federal investigators continuing to examine whether more pitches may have been compromised.

More Names, More Questions

Friday’s indictment also introduced a new name into the equation: Robinson Vasquez Germosen. Prosecutors allege that Germosen acted as a liaison between Clase, Ortiz, and the bettors - a middleman who facilitated the scheme and, according to the charges, lied to the FBI during the investigation.

Meanwhile, Ortiz’s legal team is seeking to distance their client from Clase. On February 10, Ortiz’s attorney formally requested that his case be severed, arguing that Clase’s level of involvement was significantly greater. According to the November indictment, nine of Clase’s pitches are under scrutiny, compared to just two for Ortiz.

Prosecutors have indicated the investigation is still active, and the number of questionable pitches could grow. So far, Ortiz’s count remains unchanged.

MLB, Guardians Await Legal Clarity

Major League Baseball has told the Guardians that neither Clase nor Ortiz will be allowed to report to spring training in Goodyear, Arizona. Clase’s legal team requested permission for him to travel to Arizona to meet with his agent and train.

Judge Kiyo A. Matsumoto approved the request, but it’s clear that both players remain in legal limbo.

MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred reportedly hoped to issue a ruling on potential discipline before camps opened, but that hasn’t materialized. Both players face the possibility of a lifetime ban, though no official decision has been made.

The Guardians, meanwhile, are waiting to see whether they’ll be responsible for Clase’s guaranteed $6.4 million salary for 2026. If MLB hands down a penalty, they may be off the hook financially - but for now, that’s another question without an answer.

Clase and Ortiz continue to maintain their innocence. Their trial is scheduled to begin on May 4, though Ortiz’s attorney has requested more time.

Guardians Add Pitching Depth with Ben Lively

Amid the turbulence, the Guardians made a quiet but potentially savvy move by signing right-hander Ben Lively to a two-year minor league deal. Lively underwent Tommy John surgery last June and elected free agency rather than accept an outright assignment to Triple-A Columbus.

If he makes it back to the majors this season, Lively will earn $1.25 million, with another $500,000 available in incentives. Should his return be delayed until 2027, the deal bumps to $1.75 million with $1.3 million in potential bonuses. It’s a low-risk move for a team that could use some depth and stability in a pitching staff suddenly facing more questions than answers.

Around the Horn: Names to Watch and Notable Moves

  • Aaron Davenport, a 2021 sixth-round pick out of the University of Hawaii, won’t be part of the spring picture. He underwent Tommy John surgery on February 4 and is out for the season.
  • Shane Bieber, the 2020 AL Cy Young winner, is dealing with right forearm fatigue and won’t be ready for Opening Day with Toronto.
  • Enyel De Los Santos, who pitched for the Guardians in 2022 and 2023, has been temporarily shut down by Houston due to a sore right knee.
  • Nick Sandlin, a bullpen fixture in Cleveland from 2021 to 2024, is working his way back from October elbow surgery and is set to begin bullpen sessions with the Angels.
  • Aaron Civale, who went 29-23 in 76 starts for Cleveland, has signed a one-year, $6 million deal with the A’s after pitching for three teams last season.
  • Julian Merryweather, a 2014 fifth-round pick by Cleveland, is back in the AL Central on a minor league deal with the Twins.
  • Gio Urshela, a versatile infielder who spent nearly a decade in Cleveland’s system, will also be in Twins camp on a minor league deal.
  • Andruw Monasterio, another former Guardians farmhand, was traded from Milwaukee to Boston this week as part of a six-player deal. He hit .270 for the Brewers last season.

What’s Next

For the Guardians, the focus on the field will be about building off last year’s improbable run. But off the field, the legal saga involving Clase and Ortiz continues to unfold - and it could have long-term implications not just for the players involved, but for the franchise’s financial and competitive outlook.

Spring training is usually a time for fresh starts. This year, Cleveland is entering camp with more questions than answers.